Anti-Timewasting Campaign

Listening to the radio the other day they were talking about discussions in the game about head injuries. There's talk about when a player gets a head injury real or not they should have to leave the field to be assessed by a doctor as in rugby union.They can only reenter the game if passed by the doctor. If it happens it's not clear whether temporary subs will be allowed who will stay on if the injured player can't continue.  Will stop the likes of Wycombe and Sunderland players dropping like flies holding their heads

• Like 1

Loads of things that make my p155 boil:

Corner comes in ref blows tell them to behave, corner retaken, just give a Bāstard penalty, and none of poo ball ain't in ball nonsense because if some threw a punch he would still be sent off.

Shirt pulling

Ball going out a player gets shoved into or over hoardings 

Luke O'nien, surprised if windass didn't have a word with him at full time.

Charlton Athletic 2012 edition

Steve Bould

Mrs Doubtfire

Negative boring tactics

Subs made in first half, time wasting, bookings 1 minute injury time, second half 2 subs no injuries 5inites injury time.

Extra time 1st half seems to half more injury time than a normal first half which is 30 minutes longer.

Referees which won't go against the VAR imbecile.

Blue f'in nets

Pink away kit

Moustaches and Pat Sharps mullet.

• Like 1

Time wasting, diving etc are very annoying, but just as bad in my opinion is the constant grappling and shirt pulling that goes off prior to corners and free kicks.  These ought to be equally punished, by yellow cards, or possibly the sin bin idea that someone mentioned, earlier in this thread.   The game as a spectacle is being ruined by these tactics and it's time they were eradicated by making the action that can be taken by referees, sufficiently severe that players just stop doing it.

The authorities know what’s going on. 

They don’t care.

It feels like football isn’t for the fans anymore, it’s just a circus tbh. 

FWIW, I saw the ref shouting at one of their players last night to get up - as if he’d had enough of it… the player doesn’t care though, it’s worth it for him and his team. 

• Like 1

Guest Mcguigan

I kind of think if we’d have been 3-1 up with 5 minutes to go and performed some of those tactics and there wouldn’t be a thread about it.

Edited by Mcguigan

It's also cheating us fans.There is something to be said for  a sin bin type  consequence  but stopping clock for ball out of play before corners,throwins...no.

Apart from last night the worst I've seen was second half of extra time Real Madrid v Man City last week and ref made no effort to add minutes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, markg said:

Dead against just stopping the clock. I don't think that would only make a slight difference. They aren't just looking to eat away time as it's added on anyway, it's the momentum that they are trying to stop.

It isn't added on anyway. But I think you're right about a lot of it being to interrupt momentum. 

So, enforcing the existing rules and maybe tightening up on one or two would be a plan. 

7 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

It's been the same since Drogba started throwing himself on the floor.  

Nobody has any respect for officials anymore (did they before?)  and it's just become mind games between the manager and the ref.  O'Neil must actually be telling his team to do these things.

Or am I just naiive?

The teams of certain managers seem to do it more than others. So, I'd definitely say it's instructed. No question. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Geedee said:

The best way to deter any crime is to make the penalty for getting caught severe.

If the penalty for Wasting time was a Red card, it would be cut dramaticaly

I wonder if it's actually the opposite way around.

Maybe referees think the penalty is too severe for them to see it through. 

Last night Pritchard very clearly kicked the ball miles away in the first half. Bookings for timewasting are almost never given before 80 mins. 

Meteta was booked for a much lesser version of the same on 101 mins, when the ref could be confident that the game would end before it mattered too much.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, George Whitebread said:

It isn't added on anyway. But I think you're right about a lot of it being to interrupt momentum. 

So, enforcing the existing rules and maybe tightening up on one or two would be a plan. 

Do you think that refs let them get away with it because they, themselves, would like a breather?

6 hours ago, Buck Rogers said:

How about the sin bin option?

For every incidence of time wasting, the player initiating it is binned for 10 minutes.

The time wasting team then has a decision to make as to whether to continue breaking momentum and have their player numbers continually reduced or actually play fair.

Great call! 

• Thanks 1

If you are “injured” and the ref deemed it not a foul then the physio should be allowed onto the pitch while the game continues - injured players will soon become uninjured. 

When it’s your throw in, as soon as you touch the ball or the ball within 1 meter of you on the floor you have 5 seconds to release it or it gets turned over to the opposite team.

If you kick the ball away to waste time - 5 minute sin bin, the second player to do it - 8 minute sun bun etc…. 

We work hard for our money to watch a football game, not what Sunderland and Wycombe serve up which let’s be right it’s blatant cheating. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vulva said:

Ref played 13 minutes injury time. Stop moaning. 

It's absolutely NOT about last night. 

But, as you've raised it, the added time should have been 20+ mins, if the officials included everything properly.

Plus serveral Sunderland would have been booked and potentially then sent off if they didn't stop it.

9 hours ago, George Whitebread said:

I'm so fed up with the rules of football not being enforced that I'm thinking of putting an anti-timewasting campaign together. A website, a petition...all that.

Would you sign such a petition and do you think I should bother... or would I be wasting my time (ironically!)?

(p.s. this is not about last night or any individual game in particular, it's about football in general...it's going down the swanny!)

Deffo on board with this.

Would rather football became 30 minutes each way and the clock stops when the ball goes dead than carry on like it is at the moment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

i get that, but it should have been more than 3 in the first half? comfortably i would say. i was expecting 5 minutes to be honest. I do think effectively having a stopwatch for every time the ball is out of play then that is what's added on at the end of each 45. I'm sure referees attempt to do that anyway as they usually have 2 watches, one for added time and one for the normal 45 mins. But an extra official who literally stops and starts a watch every time the ball is dead would see much fairer games. As there was never only 3 minutes in the first half between the injury, o'nien/windass incident and general time wasting from set pieces. 

The refs don't attempt to add all the time back on. There'd be 15-20 mins added per half, if they did. 

They don't even bother to add all the time they're supposed to. That's not even close either. 

5 hours ago, vulva said:

I was expecting more than 3 in the first but less than 10 in the 2nd. No idea where he got that from. 

The idea of another official with a stopwatch fills me with dread. Next thing will be Diana Ross taking a penalty. 

Teams are clearly taking the p but it’s virtually impossible to stop it. And players are clearly taking the p on the new head injury thing. 

Sam was down for most of the 10 mins. 

Plus there was plenty of other stoppages and delays. 

10 was the bare minimum it should have been. 

9 minutes ago, George Whitebread said:

It's absolutely NOT about last night. 

But, as you've raised it, the added time should have been 20+ mins, if the officials included everything properly.

Plus serveral Sunderland would have been booked and potentially then sent off if they didn't stop it.

You can’t stop the clock every time the ball goes out of play. It’s not basketball. People have got work to go to. 90 minutes and a bit of injury time is enough for me. I want to get off. 

Football is now a contactless sport, its not been said officially but how its now refereed it definitely is, the slightest touch a player falls over free kick given.

There used to be an art in football called riding a tackle watch George Best brilliant at it.

Modern footballers are killing the game I loved 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wednesday Fan said:

Good point and as for stopping the clock every time the ball leaves play or for every misdemeanour, as in American football,  I for one would like to be home before midnight after a midweek 7.45pm kick off. Those games last for hours !!!!

UTO

The games don't last for hours because there's a game clock. They last for hours because each play requires a re-set at the line of scrimmage.

A game clock in football would speed the game up because there'd be no benefit to keeping it out of play. 

Plus, it could still be a bookable offence to slow the game down by kicking the ball away...etc.

• Thanks 1