**PITCH UPDATE** part deux

Just now, soldierboyblue said:

Can't just dredge the river at the side of the ground it needs doing all the way down and by the EA or Rivers trust or whom ever is responsible for the upkeep of the waterway

I meant to say all the way to Donny/ Rotherham….Although Rotherham folk probably use it to wash in 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Guest mrbluesky
1 hour ago, soldierboyblue said:

So in essence you are talking poo  

1 hour ago, soldierboyblue said:

So come on then Alan Titchmarsh tells us your gardening credentials

Well, your replies are improving, just lol

1 hour ago, mrbluesky said:

It's next to the river, but crucially above it (just), it's all dependent on the level under the pitch, of this I don't think anyone knows.

My point being is it isn't helping to have a very inexperienced groundsman

This is getting quite tedious. Hillsborough is one of a very few grounds built on a flood plane.

Screenshot_20220217-100802_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5a3b0dd5f3c33121be53619cb906cea5.jpg

So too is the New York Stadium. 

The difference is that the Rotherham ground had water attenuation works undertaken - storage - to prevent flooding. 

Our ground being ancient, relies on rain soaking away, a very different process. 

No doubt there are some other things that contribute in a minor way, but the overriding issue and the primary cause of the problems is that the ground was built a long time ago on an old fekkin river bed.

• Like 1

Guest mrbluesky
9 minutes ago, Nero said:

This is getting quite tedious. Hillsborough is one of a very few grounds built on a flood plane.

Screenshot_20220217-100802_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5a3b0dd5f3c33121be53619cb906cea5.jpg

The difference is that the Rotherham ground had water attenuation works undertaken - storage - to prevent flooding. 

Our ground being ancient, relies on rain soaking away, a very different process. 

No doubt there are some other things that contribute in a minor way, but the overriding issue and the primary cause of the problems is that the ground was built a long time ago on an old fekkin river bed.

10 minutes ago, Nero said:

You're stating what we all know(to a degree), it appears that we are moving away from the issue of maintenance, added to this an inexperienced groundsman (in my opinion) the perfect storm if you like.   

120 metres of translucent roof sheets on the slope of the roof where clock is would help - the river doesn’t help but the whole pitch is on an old river bed. The pitch in front of the North is ok so  it’s obviously the lack of sunlight due to the South Stand - either put the lights on that side more or change the roof sheets 

• Like 1

Guest mrbluesky
14 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

So come on then what is the inexperienced groundsman doing wrong? 

Take a deep breath and read through this thread, you are obviously upset at me pointing out the inexperienced groundsman possibly being a factor in all this.

At least your questioning is improving lol

2 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

Take a deep breath and read through this thread, you are obviously upset at me pointing out the inexperienced groundsman possibly being a factor in all this.

At least your questioning is improving lol

You ain't answering the question typical gob sh i t e, so what is in your esteemed opinion is the inexperienced groundsman doing wrong?

Guest mrbluesky
12 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

You ain't answering the question typical gob sh i t e, so what is in your esteemed opinion is the inexperienced groundsman doing wrong?

Woooooah!! Stand down boy!lol, read through the thread and digest it, all the answers are in there, but knock yourself out by repeating the same question, it's fine by me xx

Guest Musttryharder
2 hours ago, Hughdowd said:

I meant to say all the way to Donny/ Rotherham….Although Rotherham folk probably use it to wash in 

At least they probably have a wash.

I have some experience of installing sump pumps in properties around Sheffield ( a while back )

We once went to house in Crookes ..at the top of a very steep hill. The cellar always flooded after heavy rain, while houses lower down the street did not.

The residents said it only started flooding about 3 yrs ago...they had lived there for 30yrs.

Shift in water table where water was unable to drain as quickly as it previously did ...a change in the natural geology that affected the top of the street but not the bottom...strange.

My guess, and only a guess Hillsborough has a similar problem down the south side of the pitch, where the water table / newly formed reservoir will be higher than the north...perhaps just moderate rainfall would be enough create puddles on the top.

Sunlight is a problem for the grass but that would not explain why it is so muddy; until it slowly drains..it would just be brown dead grass. Also with the long periods of moderate to high winds the whole pitch should be around the same...except for brown grass in low sunlight areas.

It would be reletively easy to find out if the water table is high on the south side, by digging/drilling several sample bore holes on each side to compare water level....taking care not to hit the undersoil heating system.

If it is a water table /reservoir problem that would explain why drainage is not working...only way to fix it would be pumps.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

I have some experience of installing sump pumps in properties around Sheffield...

...only way to fix it would be pumps.

Oh, how convenient!

Do you think I was born yesterday? You'll not get me to part with my cash that easily.

A few more lucky elephants is all we need...

:Chansiri:

• Haha 3

I’m pretty sure that the current drainage issues are simply down to the surface not being kept clean. Most stadiums that suffer from shade issues get a build of algae and organic matter in the pitch. This will create a dark, moist and plasticine like consistency which will slow down the water from reaching the drainage. It can also make the surface slippery, creates a poor growing environment and restricts air movement into soil.

All of the above can be managed by applying the right products at the right time and regular aeration of the pitch.