Everton

mcmigo

35 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

I don’t have anything against them, I just think it would be a real novelty (have they ever been relegated?) to see them in the Championship and it might even shake them out of their slump. 

I believe they have never played outside the top division. 

Arsenal also hold that distinction, but there were some sort of backdoor dealings which led to them staying up once at I believe the expense of Spurs. 

Everton are a proper big club and for me, if they were go to down,  might be the biggest club to have come down in the PL era. 

Other will point to Leeds, Newcastle, possibly Villa (the latter is quite close, perhaps Villa edge it), but Everton in the Championship would be crazy. 

50 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

Everton have played four seasons outside the top division. Arsenal have been relegated once, but when they expanded the top flight they let Spurs go down and promoted Arsenal.

And the last time being nearly 70 years ago. I don’t think they will go down but it would be a real sensation. 

14 hours ago, SiJ said:

Arsenal also hold that distinction, but there were some sort of backdoor dealings which led to them staying up once at I believe the expense of Spurs. 

Everton are a proper big club and for me, if they were go to down,  might be the biggest club to have come down in the PL era. 

Other will point to Leeds, Newcastle, possibly Villa (the latter is quite close, perhaps Villa edge it), but Everton in the Championship would be crazy. 

Had 2 last day escapes in the 90's, in 1994 they even went 2 down before winning 3-2 on final day. Although some of the Wimbledon keeper werent great. 

1998 they had a classic case of a player in Gareth Farrelly scoring a crucial goal only never to do anything again.

8 hours ago, Quickly Kevin said:

Had 2 last day escapes in the 90's, in 1994 they even went 2 down before winning 3-2 on final day. Although some of the Wimbledon keeper werent great. 

1998 they had a classic case of a player in Gareth Farrelly scoring a crucial goal only never to do anything again.

Yeah, I can recall a few great Everton escapes back in the day.

Moyes did a seriously underrated job there didn't he.

They've undone all that good work by spending half a billion. Chansiri giving advice?

Just now, SiJ said:

Yeah, I can recall a few great Everton escapes back in the day.

Moyes did a seriously underrated job there didn't he.

They've undone all that good work by spending half a billion. Chansiri giving advice?

Yeah not sure how much he spent but he recruited some very competent players like Cahill, Johnson, Mirallis, Baines who were value for money. 

I think he got rightful praise but United job wasnt for him. However there was no way he could turn it down.

They always had a look at team looking at European spots with some cup runs as well. Now their signings flop and they are mid table fodder.

8 hours ago, Quickly Kevin said:

Had 2 last day escapes in the 90's, in 1994 they even went 2 down before winning 3-2 on final day. Although some of the Wimbledon keepers weren't great. 

That was a great game to watch "The Barry Horne game" ..

I think that was the one that got roped the same time as the  Grobbelaar match fixing investigations ?

Hans Segers was the Wimbledon Goalie.

4 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

I think that was the one that got roped the same time as the  Grobbelaar match fixing investigations ?

Yeah he was, I remember seeing the evidence against Grobbelar and it was damning. He was literally diving over the ball v Newcastle!

14 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Didn't that result mean the pigs went down instead? Last minute defeat at Chelsea 😂😂

• Haha 1

On 13/12/2021 at 14:45, SiJ said:

Leeds going down will be the biggest.

Everton, that's a bit overrating their stature, relevance and accomplishment.