Barcelona - Looking dead out here

Kopparberg

35 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Apparently, old Ellis back in 2002 or what have you scoffed at the idea of Barcelona signing David Beckham (as in, they weren't big enough to sign him or something). 

Yeh he seemed well out of their league in terms of stature. I don't know why people are getting so eaten up by that comment, the landscape of football changes over the years. The point was that in terms of stature only Real Madrid seem to stay up towards the top.

• Like 1

On 17/12/2021 at 10:32, Ellis Rimmer said:

Yeh he seemed well out of their league in terms of stature. I don't know why people are getting so eaten up by that comment, the landscape of football changes over the years. The point was that in terms of stature only Real Madrid seem to stay up towards the top.

Beckham too big for Barcelona? 

Really? 

Not having that. 

9 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Beckham too big for Barcelona? 

Really? 

Not having that. 

Yeh it was when they had a new president coming in who was making big claims to get fans onto his side, they hadn’t won the league or cup for a few years. Don’t forget that Madrid took Figo of off them in early 2000s. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Yeh it was when they had a new president coming in who was making big claims to get fans onto his side, they hadn’t won the league or cup for a few years. Don’t forget that Madrid took Figo of off them in early 2000s. 

I know that, but they are still Barcelona. 

Who knows, perhaps at that point they weren't quite at the level where they could attract a Beckham. 

This was around the time where they seemed to be saddled with quite a few dutch players, some of whom weren't particularly good. 

Needless to say, I think they got the better deal with Ronaldinho. 

6 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I know that, but they are still Barcelona. 

Who knows, perhaps at that point they weren't quite at the level where they could attract a Beckham. 

This was around the time where they seemed to be saddled with quite a few dutch players, some of whom weren't particularly good. 

Needless to say, I think they got the better deal with Ronaldinho. 

It’s like AC Milan going in for Sterling or something, obviously a huge club but right now not at that level which is what I meant, however I did point out probably only Madrid stay at that stature 

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2003/jun/11/newsstory.sport1

here is an article from the time

Yeah, fair enough. 

Agree that Real still remain that one club who can seemingly attract anyone. 

Strongly suspect they'll be a proper force in Europe in a few seasons. Mbappe may well end up joining them in the summer and I'm also interested to see what happens with Mo Salah's contract situation at Liverpool. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Yeah, fair enough. 

Agree that Real still remain that one club who can seemingly attract anyone. 

Strongly suspect they'll be a proper force in Europe in a few seasons. Mbappe may well end up joining them in the summer and I'm also interested to see what happens with Mo Salah's contract situation at Liverpool. 

I'd be gutted if we lost Salah from England 

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

I'd be gutted if we lost Salah from England 

Same. 

Never nice to see the top players leave, particularly when they're arguably the best player in the world. 

Seen it happen too often in the past where the top player in the PL ends up moving to La Liga - Henry, Ronaldo, Suarez and so forth. 

At the end of the day, Real Madrid And Barca (less so at the moment), are the ultimate glamour clubs. 

Just now, SiJ said:

Same. 

Never nice to see the top players leave, particularly when they're arguably the best player in the world. 

Seen it happen too often in the past where the top player in the PL ends up moving to La Liga - Henry, Ronaldo, Suarez and so forth. 

At the end of the day, Real Madrid And Barca (less so at the moment), are the ultimate glamour clubs. 

Yeh I think there are possibly a few reasons as to why we struggle to keep the top top players, or don't sign the very best, I always think weather is a big part of it 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mad Mik said:

We're in league one and idiots on here are laughing at Barcelona's fall from grace....😂😂😂😂😂

Think you're the only idiot. 

It's a thread commenting on the recent decline of Barcelona not laughing at them. 

• Like 1

Guest Mad Mik
17 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Think you're the only idiot. 

It's a thread commenting on the recent decline of Barcelona not laughing at them. 

Some are some are not , so that's me ,you and a few others , isn't it an idiot who replied to an idiot 🤔

10 hours ago, beswetherick said:

Xavi’s made a good start there, imagine they’ll be challenging for La Liga/CL again next season

Depends what funds he will have available.

He started a little shakey but the Auba signing has revived them.

He fell off at Arsenal but he's a quality player and a massive improvement from the likes of De Jong and Braithwaite.

Dembele has started showing his quality recently too, but he's out of contract at the end of the season and refused to sign a new deal. This little revival might make him change his mind, but he'll need to take a pay cut I think. Not many teams will be willing to give him what Barca currently pay him anyway.