ENGLAND VS HUNGARY matchday thread

@owlstalk

I know he plays for L**** but glad Bamford finally got his chance, although Ings probably should have got a call up and Greenwood! Certainly a good headache to have. 

I know it’s for the world cup but I suspect I’m one of many who really couldn’t care less about the next one. Once it’s done and dusted that country will face even more questions and legal action.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Lol we’re the opposite of Hungary for goals under Boregate. I’m sure we’ll play 8 defenders and grind out a 1-0 win

Didn't we just achieve our best place in a competition in YEEEEARS??

Was a real achievement in a group of players that most of you guys were screaming at Southgate not to put together and instead just play Rooney and co again

I don't get why some people still try to make out they're all edgy experts instead of just enjoying the success

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Was a real achievement in a group of players that most of you guys were screaming at Southgate not to put together and instead just play Rooney and co again

I don't get why some people still try to make out they're all edgy experts instead of just enjoying the success

we had lucky draws in the last two contests. Soon as we came up against a good team we were found lacking. We are not a bad team we just aint the world beaters half the population think we are

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, darklord said:

we had lucky draws in the last two contests. Soon as we came up against a good team we were found lacking. We are not a bad team we just aint the world beaters half the population think we are

Isn't congratulating them for doing so well pretty much the opposite of thinking they're world beaters? You seem to be the one expecting us to have done a lot better than we did!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest LondonOwl313
19 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Lol point to where I’ve said Rooney should have played, because that’s nonsense.. he’s retired for a start ha.

I don’t think it was really an achievement, we had the second best squad in the tournament after France and should have been winning it once they went out and given we were effectively at home.

The Italy game was a case of what if.. just had the regret that we didn’t go for it. Apparently a £100m player can’t be trusted to play.. we must be the only country where that’s the case.

The only game where we played well was Ukraine and funnily enough that’s the only one where I agreed with 10 out of the 11 in the line up. When you play attacking players it gives the opposition something to think about.

Most games we underperformed by offering next to no goal threat because we played 8 defenders

9 minutes ago, Dan™ said:

Isn't congratulating them for doing so well pretty much the opposite of thinking they're world beaters? You seem to be the one expecting us to have done a lot better than we did!

No I wasn't sure we would qualify out the group stage to be honest. England are like Sheff Wed, some good moments, lack of threat in the final third, have a free kick 20 yards from goal and send it back to keeper

25 minutes ago, darklord said:

We are as good as any other team imo. Yes we haven’t won owt, but the last 3 tournaments we’ve finished 4th, 3rd, and 2nd. We’re defo one of the best teams atm. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Most games we underperformed by offering next to no goal threat because we played 8 defenders

Makes you wonder how we managed to do so well and win games then eh?

Baffling when you think about it

ps - can you name the 8 defenders we played?

Ta x

• Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

Guest LondonOwl313
6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Makes you wonder how we managed to do so well and win games then eh?

Baffling when you think about it

ps - can you name the 8 defenders we played?

Ta x

Walker, Stones, Maguire, Trippier, Shaw, Phillips, Rice, Saka. Defensive players I mean.. a balanced side would be 5 and 5

That was against Germany.. we played 7 against Denmark and Italy. 

Obviously we can win games doing this, because the quality of the players is higher than the opposition. But it would be better if we played attacking players.

Its a bit like Wednesday in League 1.. I think we’ve got the best squad in the league now, I’m sure if we didn’t play most of our best attackers we’d still win more than we lose and would finish 5th or something. But the bottom line is we should be trying to win the league.

Guest LondonOwl313
3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You stated we played 8 defenders - I asked you to name them - and this is the list of defenders you're saying we played
So you think those players are defenders?

There’s 5 players who play in the back line, 2 defensive midfielders and a defensive winger.

It wasn’t really a surprise that Kane struggled.. he scored 1 penalty and 2 goals against Ukraine when attackers were played so he only got 1 goal in 6 games from open play in the games where Southgate set us up not to lose. In the Premier League he’s consistently scored at a much greater rate than that for about 7 years