ENGLAND VS HUNGARY matchday thread

2 minutes ago, everydays_wednesday said:

Remember that jock on late night talk sport who was convinced Scotland had something against Antti Niemi as he was never getting picked in goal for them !!!!!

He’s not Finnish(ed) he’s only 28!! lol

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

I understand that this is the European side of qualifications.

Anybody care to explain in simple terms how it all works?

There are two stages to qualifying:

Group stage

Teams will be split into ten groups of five or six (the four teams who reached the 2021 UEFA Nations League finals – Belgium, France, Italy, Spain – will be in the smaller groups). The ten group winners qualify for the World Cup.

Play-offs

The ten group runners-up are joined by the two best group winners of the 2020/21 UEFA Nations League overall ranking that have neither qualified directly for the final tournament as European Qualifiers group winners, nor entered the play-offs already as European Qualifiers group runners-up. The 12 teams will be drawn into three play-off paths for one-off semi-finals and a final. The three path winners qualify for the World Cup.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

There are two stages to qualifying:

Group stage

Teams will be split into ten groups of five or six (the four teams who reached the 2021 UEFA Nations League finals – Belgium, France, Italy, Spain – will be in the smaller groups). The ten group winners qualify for the World Cup.

Play-offs

The ten group runners-up are joined by the two best group winners of the 2020/21 UEFA Nations League overall ranking that have neither qualified directly for the final tournament as European Qualifiers group winners, nor entered the play-offs already as European Qualifiers group runners-up. The 12 teams will be drawn into three play-off paths for one-off semi-finals and a final. The three path winners qualify for the World Cup.

Thanks a lot mate.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Lol point to where I’ve said Rooney should have played, because that’s nonsense.. he’s retired for a start ha.

I don’t think it was really an achievement, we had the second best squad in the tournament after France and should have been winning it once they went out and given we were effectively at home.

The Italy game was a case of what if.. just had the regret that we didn’t go for it. Apparently a £100m player can’t be trusted to play.. we must be the only country where that’s the case.

The only game where we played well was Ukraine and funnily enough that’s the only one where I agreed with 10 out of the 11 in the line up. When you play attacking players it gives the opposition something to think about.

Most games we underperformed by offering next to no goal threat because we played 8 defenders

Wow, we get to a semi final and final in the space of 3 years and still people come out with this.  

Has there been a men in black style device to wipe the memories of the last 50 years of international tournament football? 

We've been dog sh*t for years with much better teams and people still can't enjoy a run to the final with a young, tactically aware and well bonded team.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, new zealand owl said:

Wow, we get to a semi final and final in the space of 3 years and still people come out with this.  

Has there been a men in black style device to wipe the memories of the last 50 years of international tournament football? 

We've been dog sh*t for years with much better teams and people still can't enjoy a run to the final with a young, tactically aware and well bonded team.

We have one of the best teams in the world now though, which we didn’t in all those other tournaments. So I never get why people try and compare the performances at these tournaments with the other ones as it’s comparing apples and oranges 

42 minutes ago, new zealand owl said:

Most of what london owl said is right though. We all enjoyed getting to the final and as much as i like southgate, he wasnt "tactically aware" enough to win that final. It was criminal that he hadnt learnt from that croatia semi. It was almost identical. Early goal, england well on top.....then that tactical ******** up, of oh i know lets defend the rest of the game and see if we can hang on.

That poor decision cost us both games. I can partly forgive tge croatia one, but to repeat it in the final was stupid