Premier League 21/22

Chelsea were the first team to adapt to modern day football IMO.

As mentioned above,  very well run with a structured approach. Managers know where they stand immediately before they’ve even taken the job.

Invest in the right areas. Clear as day they needed a centre forward, so the go get one of the best on the planet. Contrast that with Man U, sign a right winger and, play him on the left.

12 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

Chelsea were the first team to adapt to modern day football IMO.

As mentioned above,  very well run with a structured approach. Managers know where they stand immediately before they’ve even taken the job.

Invest in the right areas. Clear as day they needed a centre forward, so the go get one of the best on the planet. Contrast that with Man U, sign a right winger and, play him on the left.

I'd view City as a more stable template though.

They've appointed three managers since 2008? and have won as many league titles as Chelsea. Yes, they've not won the European cup, but I always expect City to be in contention, whilst Chelsea seem to have more ups and downs due to hire/fire policy adopted there. At the end of the day, the Chelsea players have known now for nearly 20 years that they can down tools and the manager will be sacked.

I imagine Tuchel will deliver more trophies and then the whole thing will unravel very quickly for one reason or another. Always does.

Edited by SiJ

21 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I'd view City as a more stable template though.

They've appointed three managers since 2008? and have won as many league titles as Chelsea. Yes, they've not won the European cup, but I always expect City to be in contention, whilst Chelsea seem to have more ups and downs due to hire/fire policy adopted there. At the end of the day, the Chelsea players have known now for nearly 20 years that they can down tools and the manager will be sacked.

I imagine Tuchel will deliver more trophies and then the whole thing will unravel very quickly for one reason or another. Always does.

City 13 major domestic honours.

Chelsea 7 + 2 Champions League wins, 2 Europa League wins and a super cup.

Think I’d rather be in Chelsea camp considering 5 of the 6 additional domestic trophies City have won are League cups. 

Chelsea also have half the net spend in terms of transfer fees than City in the last 10 years. 

6 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

Chelsea just needed a fan favourite to buy them time and who the young players would respect and connect with, while they weathered a period of transition and brought through a number of youth players at once. 

They weren't winning anything under Lampard, but I think the approach taken by the club during that time is an underrated part of why they look like such a well oiled machine at the moment. Classic case of taking a step back in the short term to take several strides forward later. 

Ole is only in the same position Lampard was, only with the keys to the whole show for the long term and with the expectation that he's the one to start winning things. And as ever at United in recent years, there isn't a shred of the same thought or plan in place as there was at Chelsea.  

Chelsea had a transfer ban and needed to integrate some young players that Lampard had worked with previously. As you say it was an ideal stop gap transition move for them.

it's not the same for Solskjaer, United have spent vast amounts of money, including plenty this summer, added strength at the back as was needed and brought in big names to the attack. They have no divine right to win anything with the competition around them but too many times they seem to come up short in games they should win. Ole seems tactically naive at the top level and they are more likely to fall short than win big with him in charge. 

Ole deserved his chance having stabilised Man U following the disaster class that was Mourinho's latter days.

He got them back in the Champs League and has had a few decent cup runs, albeit they've come up short.

Now, the pressure is on and I don't think Ole is at the level required to get them challenging for the title. Once CR7 walked through the door, they had to challenge and they look well off it.

Problem is, bar a bit of counter attacking, I still don't know what Man Us style or approach is. They can't play a high press with CR7 in the team. 

Edited by SiJ

Lampard had plenty of kudos in the dressing room due to his own achievements as a player - that's always a factor early on

It was a smart move by Chelsea when they were in a bind due to the embargo

They knew they couldn't attract a top level manager and knew it would be a tough transitional season

So get an absolute club legend to buy time and keep the fans on side until they can properly regroup 

Lampard was nothing more than their useful idiot to buy them time

Edited by scram

On 19/10/2021 at 09:34, Ellis Rimmer said:

Lampards spell at Chelsea seems to be massively overrated. What did he do that anyone with a coaching badge couldn’t have?

I think the praise is more for Chelsea and the way they handled that period of time.

Like Scram says, Lampard was just the right guy. Essentially Chelsea just used him for what they wanted. He was the one man who would give them the maximum amount of time and goodwill with the supporters while they did what they needed to as a club. It’s surprisingly unusual at the elite level for clubs to do that though, and for it to actually work, so I think the credit is Chelsea’s.

1 hour ago, sheffield_dave said:

I think the praise is more for Chelsea and the way they handled that period of time.

Like Scram says, Lampard was just the right guy. Essentially Chelsea just used him for what they wanted. He was the one man who would give them the maximum amount of time and goodwill with the supporters while they did what they needed to as a club. It’s surprisingly unusual at the elite level for clubs to do that though, and for it to actually work, so I think the credit is Chelsea’s.

I think people are overrating it, it was just another Ole, Arteta, appoint them and hope they turn out good appointment 

Getting them into the top 4 was a solid effort, given the transfer embargo and use of younger players.

Think the issue may have been once they started splashing the cash, the fact he was a club legend held less and less sway.

Truth be told, we might be seeing something similar with Ole now. I appreciate that they spent some decent money on Maguire, Wan Bisakka, Bruno etc., but these were not global superstars.

Now you've got CR7, Varane and suddenly the pressure is on and the fact you are a nice bloke/club legend isn't quite cutting it anymore.

Edited by SiJ

17 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I think people are overrating it, it was just another Ole, Arteta, appoint them and hope they turn out good appointment 

The fact that Lampard has been axed and Chelsea have since gone to win a major honours shows it wasn’t “just another” of those, and again that’s a credit to the club. 

Arsenal and United have handed the keys to Arteta and Ole and it’s not worked. 

47 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

The fact that Lampard has been axed and Chelsea have since gone to win a major honours shows it wasn’t “just another” of those, and again that’s a credit to the club. 

Arsenal and United have handed the keys to Arteta and Ole and it’s not worked. 

It’s not a credit they got it wrong and they made a good appointment afterwards lol