ESL

As predicted when most were w*nking themselves over the ESL being defeated

It ain't going away - and the same clubs in our league who were mocked and ridiculed will be straight back on that gravy train

I said at the time those clubs will be better off for this - and they will one way or another

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european-super-league-uefa-european-court-of-justice-real-madrid-juventus-b1894004.html

I'm not in agreement with the ESL at all, but this has been referred to the ECJ.

What is to stop these clubs re registering outside of the EU where the ECJ has no jurisdiction?

A ESL run in the UK?

Is that a possibility?

Or further afield, Saudi etc? European football is big box office, the real money is in the TV rights.

A backward step if so.

The cat is out of the bag on what these clubs plan and want. I’ve said all along the celebratory attitude towards “beating” the prior ESL plans was tone deaf and naive.

Let them go ahead and we’ll restructure what’s left. They can start after next years World Cup in November.. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SiJ said:

The game will end up destroying itself.

I don’t think it will

It’ll destroy the pyramid in this country and a few clubs along the way, but it’s a world game now, and as long as people here and in the Far East and everywhere in between keep paying their tv subscriptions then we’ll just end up with an NFL style system which many of the younger generation will love

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Django said:

I don’t think it will

It’ll destroy the pyramid in this country and a few clubs along the way, but it’s a world game now, and as long as people here and in the Far East and everywhere in between keep paying their tv subscriptions then we’ll just end up with an NFL style system which many of the younger generation will love

I think you're bang on unfortunately,  tv money trumps everything, the powefull clubs I'm sure would prefer an NFL style system so it will happen in my opinion.

PS I don't have any tv subscriptions I don't watch football on telly not even us.

2 hours ago, Django said:

I don’t think it will

Agreed.

I watch and like the NFL so it almost seems a little hypocritical to hate the idea of football going for the same thing. But I think their league system is fantastic. The way it’s built to facilitate competitiveness, handles trades and new players entering the league etc, keeps even the bad teams relevant and still able to realistically dream of success.. it’s a just a good league set up. They know what they’re doing over there with it.

Im not sure today’s younger and newer breed of fans give a poo about clubs outside of the elite sphere anyway, so football ending up with a league system comprised ONLY of those clubs seems a logical end point. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, scram said:

As predicted when most were w*nking themselves over the ESL being defeated

It ain't going away - and the same clubs in our league who were mocked and ridiculed will be straight back on that gravy train

I said at the time those clubs will be better off for this - and they will one way or another

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european-super-league-uefa-european-court-of-justice-real-madrid-juventus-b1894004.html

Only a matter of time really, it's not going to go away this. They won the battle last time, but they will lose the war.

24 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Agreed.

I watch and like the NFL so it almost seems a little hypocritical to hate the idea of football going for the same thing. But I think their league system is fantastic. The way it’s built to facilitate competitiveness, handles trades and new players entering the league etc, keeps even the bad teams relevant and still able to realistically dream of success.. it’s a just a good league set up. They know what they’re doing over there with it.

Im not sure today’s younger and newer breed of fans give a poo about clubs outside of the elite sphere anyway, so football ending up with a league system comprised ONLY of those clubs seems a logical end point. 

The vast majority of adults with an affinity to a club in this country will no doubt despise the idea, but kids and teenagers will be all over it and unfortunately in 30 years time it’ll be a case of “Sheffield Wednesday who are they?” 

Nah.

This is the opportunity to take football back.

Let the plastic TV fans have their superleague if they want.  It'll be easy enough for the rest of us to ignore, just like it is easy to completely ignore the Champions League and Premiership circus at the moment.

We just need to make sure there is no interaction whatsoever between football and the new FranchiseBall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Django said:

The vast majority of adults with an affinity to a club in this country will no doubt despise the idea, but kids and teenagers will be all over it and unfortunately in 30 years time it’ll be a case of “Sheffield Wednesday who are they?” 

Nah ESL is done for adults. kids dont pay to watch football so there is no money in them they just illegally stream it cause they are good at tech and stuff. 

2 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

Agreed.

Ironically i could see that being more akin to the ESL

More of a closed shop - the money distribution will be huge and give each team every advantage

So it will come down to how the finances are managed and clubs set up

There will be little in the way of outright advantage to dominate because all the clubs will have a huge draw and all be ridiculously wealthy