ESL

3 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

Agreed.

I watch and like the NFL so it almost seems a little hypocritical to hate the idea of football going for the same thing. But I think their league system is fantastic. The way it’s built to facilitate competitiveness, handles trades and new players entering the league etc, keeps even the bad teams relevant and still able to realistically dream of success.. it’s a just a good league set up. They know what they’re doing over there with it.

Im not sure today’s younger and newer breed of fans give a poo about clubs outside of the elite sphere anyway, so football ending up with a league system comprised ONLY of those clubs seems a logical end point. 

Its a clinical and soulless business model of franchised entertainment dressed up as sporting.

Its.....American.

Foitball, as much as possible needs to avoid this as much as possible to retain its integrity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Django said:

The vast majority of adults with an affinity to a club in this country will no doubt despise the idea, but kids and teenagers will be all over it and unfortunately in 30 years time it’ll be a case of “Sheffield Wednesday who are they?” 

You mean that's what they'll be saying when we accept the invitation to join as the 1st expansion franchise

• Haha 1

It's inevitable that it's going to happen. Dunno why people are bothered it's a closed shop, it already is. Top 4 are pretty much sorted each year, top 6 deffo is.

Let them clear off and get back to it being a competition where the likes of Oldham, Luton, Swindon and dare I say us have a chance of the big time.

Won't happen no money in it. 

The money is in Prem and champions League. 

People won't care about a competition with no history it's literally the thing that makes the competition valuable. 

Edited by flo

13 minutes ago, flo said:

Won't happen no money in it. 

The money is in Prem and champions League. 

People won't care about a competition with no history it's literally the thing that makes the competition valuable. 

The money in the Premier and Champions Leagues isn’t from the competitions, it’s from the big clubs. If all the big clubs moved the money would move with it. 

A new competition will create its own history, much like the Premier League has over the last 30 years.

1 hour ago, Boobook said:

The money in the Premier and Champions Leagues isn’t from the competitions, it’s from the big clubs. If all the big clubs moved the money would move with it. 

A new competition will create its own history, much like the Premier League has over the last 30 years.

Whilst I agree history can easily be created I feel the change to the Premier league was a lot more subtle than whatever a ESL would be. 

9 hours ago, Django said:

Everyone says them them get on with it, but nobody is thinking about the yearly West Ham- Everton title race 🤮

or worse…the Newcastle- Southampton race for 4th place

Reyt laugh 

I don't really understand this attitude tbh.

Man City, Liverpool or Chelsea don't mean any more to me than West Ham or Newcastle.  

Why is one being involved in a title race better than another?

• Like 1

You have to look at who the target audience is for this.

Its the full kitwankers who watch manu Liverpool and city on sky, and the Asian market who watch it on tv. There’s millions of them. The clubs don’t give a throw about the 40000 season ticket holders. They want people in the ground for who it’s a once in a life time experience and will spend more in the club shop than a scouser spends on his season ticket.

its all about the££££££££

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Plonk said:

You have to look at who the target audience is for this.

Its the full kitwankers who watch manu Liverpool and city on sky, and the Asian market who watch it on tv. There’s millions of them. The clubs don’t give a throw about the 40000 season ticket holders. They want people in the ground for who it’s a once in a life time experience and will spend more in the club shop than a scouser spends on his season ticket.

its all about the££££££££

100 percent

they don’t give a hoot about the guy that’s local, minimum wage and saves all year to afford his season ticket for the family 

They want tourists there for the full experience of going on a stadium tour, spending a fortune in the club shop, buying a full mean in the ground etc, they support the club the rest of the time by buying tv subscription to the club and the kit every year

I’m assuming this all ends with the money-chasers setting up a separate governing body to oversee their new competition?

What would be the fallout be if UEFA/FIFA said that any player appearing in any competition governed by the rival body would be ineligible to appear in theirs?

4 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

100 percent

they don’t give a hoot about the guy that’s local, minimum wage and saves all year to afford his season ticket for the family 

They want tourists there for the full experience of going on a stadium tour, spending a fortune in the club shop, buying a full mean in the ground etc, they support the club the rest of the time by buying tv subscription to the club and the kit every year

Aye.

They want it to be a super bowl type experience. Tickets are like gold dust, cost a bloody fortune, lady gaga does the half time entertainment.

Drake & Billy Eilish sat in the front row, with the TV cameras cutting to them 5/6 times during the course of the game.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Big Malc said:

I’m assuming this all ends with the money-chasers setting up a separate governing body to oversee their new competition?

What would be the fallout be if UEFA/FIFA said that any player appearing in any competition governed by the rival body would be ineligible to appear in theirs?

My guess it will end up being a similar situation to the PL/EFL

With the ESL being the dominant party but allowing FIFA/UEFA to have the appearance of being in charge

When I had a pub there was a guy used to come in. Always had Liverpool shirts and always  gibbing off about how great they were. Just before the champions league final he was at it. So I said you’ll be looking forward to it then. He told me he had never missed a final Liverpool had played in. How do you manage to get tickets, do you have a season ticket? I asked. Oh no I don’t to games I watch them on the telly. I’ve never even been to Liverpool. 
I am sure he will love the ESL.