Börner and Hunt

4 hours ago, Pieman said:

Great work mate. Have you started on your article about our two new, super strikers? You can tell us, we won’t say owt. 😀

I wish! 😂 A nine is the most important signing now, in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, YesWeCrann said:

I wish! 😂 A nine is the most important signing now, in my opinion.

Do you not think Paterson may be used in that role.?

Because I think he will get the opportunity to do so, surprise us just how well he does in it in this division and stay there for most of the season.

Maybe Darren Moore just watched Palmer play last year and decided we needed someone had actually breaks sweat every now and again.

Palmer is a better LB than RB so for me no issues if he’s 2nd choice to Hunt and able to fight it out with Brown for LB too. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

So in the three years since JH left we havent been able to discover a better RB.

That really doesnt inspire me with confidence in our recruitment policy.

The long extensions for Palmer, Wildsmith and Dawson were ridiculous at the time and very clearly ridiculous now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Do you not think Paterson may be used in that role.?

Because I think he will get the opportunity to do so, surprise us just how well he does in it in this division and stay there for most of the season.

I think he can definitely do a job… Still think we need a proper goal scoring 9 though 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OwlPastie said:

I'd be happy with Hunt, Palmer could play in Borners role, left of a centre back 3. Hunt definitely better going forward so should be decent as a wing back. 

Hunt never had the game to play attacking full back . Defensively he was suspect. A very whole hearted player he would try to get up and down but struggled to get back even when younger. I am glad to have him back as a reminder that we can get players from the championship and he reminds us of better days. But if DM is going to play with wing backs, it is a very demanding role and you need special qualities otherwise there is no wing attack and no defence either. Most defenders of limited ability find a 4 at the back easier to play in.

3 hours ago, victorturner said:

Hunt never had the game to play attacking full back . Defensively he was suspect. A very whole hearted player he would try to get up and down but struggled to get back even when younger. I am glad to have him back as a reminder that we can get players from the championship and he reminds us of better days. But if DM is going to play with wing backs, it is a very demanding role and you need special qualities otherwise there is no wing attack and no defence either. Most defenders of limited ability find a 4 at the back easier to play in.

I was just reading an interview with a Bristol City journalist, and they rate wingback as Hunt's best position...

Where did he play in the main?

It was mostly right-back, though arguably his best spell came as Dean Holden played a three-at-the-back system last year, allowing Hunt to play right wing-back and slightly further forward. That system got more from him and accentuated his good attacking play.

City also played their best football of the campaign during that period until injuries hit the club hard and the club's form disintegrated, with a change of manager then occurring, which ultimately saw Hunt out of favour.

15 hours ago, flash said:

Glad Borner is on his way - especially if we get a fee! Be good to bring in another CB now as a direct replacement. 

Happy with Hunt joining if it happens. Good RB who you’d hope would be one of the best in L1 plus I think it’s slim pickings in terms of choices for us if we can’t pay fees/have a wage cap.  Allows Palmer to be cover at both RB/LB. 

We all know we’re still at least a minimum of 5 short including a good GK and CF! Has to be focus but I fear we’re now waiting for Prem clubs to decide on who they will loan out. Can’t see Peacock-Farrell joining from Burnley. Might be bit of a wait…! 

Can't see us getting any Prem players 

Guest FoxOwl12

Some of the comments make me shake my head. "we need a top class goalkeeper and striker". Oh really. And which such players are going to want to play in L1, even if we could afford them. Get real ffs.

28 minutes ago, FoxOwl12 said:

Some of the comments make me shake my head. "we need a top class goalkeeper and striker". Oh really. And which such players are going to want to play in L1, even if we could afford them. Get real ffs.

I don’t think anyone expects us to sign Kane and Pickford mate. I think they mean top quality for league one. Because at the moment our keepers and strikers are nowhere near that. Hence the clamour for signings in those positions

4 hours ago, Plonk said:

I don’t think anyone expects us to sign Kane and Pickford mate. I think they mean top quality for league one. Because at the moment our keepers and strikers are nowhere near that. Hence the clamour for signings in those positions

That’s right, but L1 has other clubs who will look a better club than us and we are unlikely to get top quality for L 1 even.

5 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I was just reading an interview with a Bristol City journalist, and they rate wingback as Hunt's best position...

Where did he play in the main?

It was mostly right-back, though arguably his best spell came as Dean Holden played a three-at-the-back system last year, allowing Hunt to play right wing-back and slightly further forward. That system got more from him and accentuated his good attacking play.

City also played their best football of the campaign during that period until injuries hit the club hard and the club's form disintegrated, with a change of manager then occurring, which ultimately saw Hunt out of favour.

Very interesting. Looks like he plays wing back further forward to be at his best , but for the system to work, the wing back has to be able to get back into defence.

DM, like GM, likes the wing back system but you need three mobile central defenders , and very athletic guys with stamina to play the role. Personally, I think it’s a system for top teams and top players but we know DM is very driven by systems, as we unfortunately saw between March 1st and relegation day.