Most intimidating match day experience you've had?

Guest OwlPastie

Cardiff away, think it was 75. Only took 3 coaches and 2 of them weren’t full. Ended up getting chased across the pitch with the manager at the time Len Ashurst grabbing by the arm telling me I was a disgrace to the club. Went to find the coach after the game only to find it had been moved with Cardiff fans hot on our heels .Luckily for us some bloke took us in his moscovich van to the coach. The driver was brilliant stopping several times to pick up stray owls .

1 minute ago, Dab said:

Cardiff away, think it was 75. Only took 3 coaches and 2 of them weren’t full. Ended up getting chased across the pitch with the manager at the time Len Ashurst grabbing by the arm telling me I was a disgrace to the club. Went to find the coach after the game only to find it had been moved with Cardiff fans hot on our heels .Luckily for us some bloke took us in his moscovich van to the coach. The driver was brilliant stopping several times to pick up stray owls .

Fast forward 9 years to 1984 last match of the season, same ground only difference there were over 9,000 of us at the away end.But that didn't stop the Cardiff fans from trying to wind us up. :tango:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Owl 44 said:

Manchester United in the 90s. League Cup semi I think it was because they came back to Hillsborough a week or so later. It wasn't long after we'd played Kaiserslautern and we were singing the Dambusters tune. They took offence and went nuts.

After the match, I was walking away from the ground and saw Wednesday fans being dragged out of their cars and car windows being smashed. Never seen anything like it. I was terrified. I quickly hid my shirt and scarf under my jacket and tried to blend in with the crowd. Only time I've genuinely feared for my safety at a football match.

On the return, all the local pubs (I used to go in the Travellers) boarded their windows up, expecting reprisals. 

I remember that game at Old Trafford. Most Wednesday fans were bemused by the Utd fans throwing a wobbler.

Typical Mancs, thinking it’s all about them.

• Like 1

Standing on the Ponty End at Oakwell in 1990/91 Season was also very intimidating especially when some of the Barnsley fans started screaming those who they thought were Wednesday fans. Thankfully, managed to stay calm to the last minute when Carlton Palmer scored.WTF:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ian Fleming said:

Newcastle away 84, a crucial win for Wednesday and all the coaches went back through Newcastle town centre. We drove past thousands lining the street with bricks flying everywhere and blokes well into their 70s giving us the reverse Churchill sign. Great days!

Assume that wad the Gary Shelton overhead kick winner.

I was 14 at the time, went on the Intercity Owl with a couple of mates the same age (still can't understand how my parents thought it was ok to go).

We were pelted with coins all match, marched back to the station after the game and someone lobbed a wooden crate onto the fans from top of a building (hit someone bang on the head). Then once on the train, it was pelted with stones and rocks whilst it pulled out the station.

Weirdly I never felt any concern at all.

• Like 1

Dated a Swedish girl living in Manchester once, she was very... Erm... Aggressively seeking what she wanted and I remember her saying 'you a football fan'? I said no as it's not the best thing to say to girls. She said 'Good so you won't be interested in the Manchester match'.... Does this count?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

I was at Charlton where we were playing and Millwall turned up and someone got stabbed with an ornamental sword...

Was there too. Said to a copper "aren't you going to do anything about it" and got the response "you shouldn't have come!"

FA Cup 3rd round tie Jan 76. About half the crowd were Wednesday and Millwall had turned up just for the scrap, apparently they weren't overly happy about having been kicked  off the East Bank 3 months earlier in a Div 3 game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Crystal Palace around '77/78

Had every window down both sides of the coach smashed.

Traveling back up the M1 at 60mph with no windows and the snow blowing in.

Good times🤣

The 1-1 draw on MOTD?

5 hours ago, room0035 said:

I went to watch my nephew play for the Hull Stingrays under 18's against the Sheffield Steelers under 18's a few years ago and it was not the fans that we hostile but the players, they kept hitting wooden pucks into the crowd.

😁😁😁😁

Think that's their way of telling you to puck off!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Utah Owl said:

Only in your (Midsummer Night) dreams!

Never Mind ( Midsummer Night ) Dreams more like a ' Nightmare on Stamford Bridge' especially in the 80's.Some of the stuff that went off in and around there was really naughty, Especially in and round Fulham Broadway and Paddington LU Stations. WTF:

2 minutes ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Never Mind ( Midsummer Night ) Dreams more like a ' Nightmare on Stamford Bridge' especially in the 80's.Some of the stuff that went off in and around there was really naughty, Especially in and round Fulham Broadway and Paddington LU Stations. WTF:

Went there in early 86 (lost 2-1 Chamberlain got our consolation). Was in London for the weekend anyway so took the tube in. It felt intimidating but actually was all pretty quiet and mundane except for leaving the ground which was hairy for a couple of minutes.

At that point in time SB must have been the biggest dump of a ground in the top flight. Complete and utter hole of a ground.

Edited by Utah Owl
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Utah Owl said:

Went there in early 86 (lost 2-1 Chamberlain got our consolation). Was in London for the weekend anyway so took the tube in. It felt intimidating but actually was all pretty quiet and mundane except for leaving the ground which was hairy for a couple of minutes.

1982/83 season was the one where some of them starting chucking bins at us and nearly 40 years on that still sticks in my mind.Completely Different Stamford Bridge now to what it was then.

image.png.02f83fa4a338113aabebb8538a69271a.png

• Like 1

Some of the games (old 1st Division) in the mid/late 1960's when the time throwing toilet rolls was replaced by throwing darts......and apparently the odd game of throwing acid.........some reyt lads then! W@@nkers!

Wednesday fans din't stoop so low though!!

6 hours ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

1982/83 season was the one where some of them starting chucking bins at us and nearly 40 years on that still sticks in my mind.Completely Different Stamford Bridge now to what it was then.

image.png.02f83fa4a338113aabebb8538a69271a.png

On opposite end to that away fans were put in a couple of pens in during 1980s but to get to them pens we was marched around back of pens Chelsea fans were in and it always kicked off when our hoolies were coming in just before kick off, especially for the 2 midweek league cup games.

• Thanks 1