ENGLAND 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 vs 🇮🇹 ITALY - EUROS FINAL - Official Matchday Thread ⚽️

22 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

My point is, we’re where we are because our squad is very good relative to the squads of other countries. I can’t recall a time where England have had a better squad. And that’s why we’ve made the final.

People comparing our achievement this year with failures in prior tournaments miss the point. Any half decent manager would have achieved what we’ve done this tournament.

With our squad, we should be beating Croatia, Scotland, Czechs, Germany, Ukraine and Denmark at home. Today is the acid test where we’re playing a really good side and tactically he needs to get this right.

Hoping he nails it 

So ludicrously untrue it makes my head hurt. Just bonkers. 

We have two outstanding strikers, one of whom didn't deliver first three games, but that happens.

At the back, Shaw is world class. Others, including our keeper, are not. They have played out of their skins and been far more than the sum of their parts. 

We have one of the weaker midfields among the plausible contenders. We have a couple of potentially world class players Sancho and Saka who most certainly should be in there, but are still learning their trade, and growing their strength.

We do have a notably strong squad, leveraged very nicely both against Germany and Denmark.

I reckon we go in there with a decent chance. Not a favourite's chance, but a decent chance.

• Love 1

Guest LondonOwl313
23 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

We have two outstanding strikers, one of whom didn't deliver first three games, but that happens.

At the back, Shaw is world class. Others, including our keeper, are not. They have played out of their skins and been far more than the sum of their parts. 

We have one of the weaker midfields among the plausible contenders. We have a couple of potentially world class players Sancho and Saka who most certainly should be in there, but are still learning their trade, and growing their strength.

We do have a notably strong squad, leveraged very nicely both against Germany and Denmark.

I reckon we go in there with a decent chance. Not a favourite's chance, but a decent chance.

Kane only didn't deliver first 3 games because the tactics are wrong and he had no support from midfield. His best game was against Ukraine where we actually played with some attacking purpose. He scores or assists most weeks in the PL so its about playing to his strengths.. there's no better number 9 in world football. He's better than Lineker, Shearer, Owen and Rooney (apart from those first few years where he was unplayable).

Ok yeah Pickford is decent but not world class, but he's played exceptionally well this tournament. Maguire and Stones are two of the best centre halves in the PL.. Stones has made the shirt his own at Man City, Maguire is Man Utd captain and only Van Dijk is better than him in the league. Walker has consistently played at the highest level for nearly 10 years and has great pace.

We also don't have a weak midfield. Henderson is a premier league and champions league winning captain. Rice and Mount are both young and have been outstanding this season, they'll go right to the top. Grealish influences every game he plays in and is world class, but apparently he can't be trusted to defend against a team like Denmark despite him playing against players of a similar standard or better every week in the league.

Saka isn't world class, Sancho is quality.. sterling has incredible stats for about 5 years now. Then there's Bellingham, Rashford, Calvert Lewin.

This is a great squad. We're there because its a great squad of players. Most PL managers would have been able to deliver the results we've had with these players. Only France had a better squad, everyone else is weaker than us so we are where we should be.

Lets hope Southgate manages to get through his first difficult test.

Guest OwlPastie

Much less nervous about the match after yesterday's result. Even if England don't manage to bring it home, we can remember this weekend for Wednesday securing a key victory in a friendly against Chester. 

Every cloud and all that. 

Why can't some people just be happy?

We are in a final for the first time in 55 years yet it seems like it's all been so easy that we should have been able to do it in our sleep. 

Italy is our first difficult test? For God's sake.

Some people would get five numbers plus the bonus on the lottery and spend all weekend moaning they'd not picked all six winning jackpot numbers.

Edited by Pablo Bonvin
  • Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

Why can't some people just be happy?

We are in a final for the first time in 55 years yet it seems like it's all been so easy that we should have been able to do it in our sleep. 

Italy is our first difficult test? For God's sake.

Some people would get five numbers plus the bonus on the lottery and spend all weekend moaning they'd not picked all six winning jackpot numbers.

its called a forum mate.. people have differing opinions. I keep having to justify mine because other people make childish remarks about what I think, thats all it is.

Guest OwlPastie
45 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

Today is a massive test, I think up top we are far far better than Italy. But they have a World Class keeper and an iconic centre back pairing. 

England's biggest issue for so long now is playing sideways and not being able to peirce the opposition guard. We saw that in the group stages. But since the knockout stages, the tempo seems to have been upped a notch. Playing with pace, tempo and purpose. 

If we can maintain that tempo, control possession and keep it tight at the back, the longer the game goes on the more I'd fancy us to grab the winner. They've been to extra time twice already, and with games so bunched up it will take its toll. 

39 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Kane only didn't deliver first 3 games because the tactics are wrong and he had no support from midfield. His best game was against Ukraine where we actually played with some attacking purpose. He scores or assists most weeks in the PL so its about playing to his strengths.. there's no better number 9 in world football. He's better than Lineker, Shearer, Owen and Rooney (apart from those first few years where he was unplayable).

Ok yeah Pickford is decent but not world class, but he's played exceptionally well this tournament. Maguire and Stones are two of the best centre halves in the PL.. Stones has made the shirt his own at Man City, Maguire is Man Utd captain and only Van Dijk is better than him in the league. Walker has consistently played at the highest level for nearly 10 years and has great pace.

We also don't have a weak midfield. Henderson is a premier league and champions league winning captain. Rice and Mount are both young and have been outstanding this season, they'll go right to the top. Grealish influences every game he plays in and is world class, but apparently he can't be trusted to defend against a team like Denmark despite him playing against players of a similar standard or better every week in the league.

Saka isn't world class, Sancho is quality.. sterling has incredible stats for about 5 years now. Then there's Bellingham, Rashford, Calvert Lewin.

This is a great squad. We're there because its a great squad of players. Most PL managers would have been able to deliver the results we've had with these players. Only France had a better squad, everyone else is weaker than us so we are where we should be.

Lets hope Southgate manages to get through his first difficult test.

Please

I know this is a forum for all opinions

But my god - please - just STOP spouting 

ffs

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

I’m sooooo excited about this game

So proud of Southgate for his achievements 

So proud of the players application to get us to the final 

What an historic achievement 

Dont listen to the haters trying to tell us it’s not a big deal or it should be expected and that Southgate has done nothing remarkable etc

Don’t let them spoilt if for you 

Dont listen

Just enjoy 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

To get this far is an achievement - i didn't think they would, but have grown increasingly confident as the tournament has progressed. I imagine most of the the media, pundits and other top nations at the tournament would agree we are the team to beat - we're on a wave.

Whilst I always thought Italy would win it, I think they will be cautious knowing we could pick them off at any point with our attacking players, and strength from set pieces. For this reason, I think it will be a tight; cagey game. Hopefully England can score early to draw the Italians out.

I genuinely think we can win, if we play to our potential. Good luck to all.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I’m sooooo excited about this game

So proud of Southgate for his achievements 

So proud of the players application to get us to the final 

What an historic achievement 

Dont listen to the haters trying to tell us it’s not a big deal or it should be expected and that Southgate has done nothing remarkable etc

Don’t let them spoilt if for you 

Dont listen

Just enjoy 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Most haters saying those things are not English. I think the country is unified beyond what I've ever seen which is great. If it's us against the rest that is also great. Stick together and bring it home. 

Just now, TheEnchanter said:

Most haters saying those things are not English. I think the country is unified beyond what I've ever seen which is great. If it's us against the rest that is also great. Stick together and bring it home. 

100%

Fooooook the haters and the naysayers 

This is massive and a massive achievement to get this far for the first time since 1966 ❤️

COME ON ENGLAND!! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Owlstalk Shop