ENGLAND 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 vs 🇮🇹 ITALY - EUROS FINAL - Official Matchday Thread ⚽️

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

It is - you're right

My opinion is that Southgate should have the full unwavering trust of all football fans as he has repeatedly proven everyone wrong all through the Euros

We agree to agree. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Exactly.. we looked miles better with Henderson, Foden and Grealish on and that’s when we got the winner. But apparently because we got through it means that the first 11 he picked was perfect and couldn’t have been improved upon 

I agree. Go with your best players and IMO Henderson is our best midfielder.

1 hour ago, Shez said:

In the small time Henderson has been on the pitch he’s given the ball away more than Rice and Phillips (who both have started every game) combined.

Rice has recovered the ball more times than he’s misplaced a pass and Phillips has more ball recoveries than any other player in the tournament (and 2nd more distance covered).

Henderson is a good player but has offered nothing (bar the headed goal) so far, whereas Rice and Phillips have been massively instrumental in our progression (and us not conceding a single goal in open play)

It would be criminal and short sighted to replace either of the DM’s with Henderson

We'll just have to disagree. After the first 10 mins they were starting to boss midfield. We were getting overrun there and Phillips, good player that he was looking lost.

Rice was everywhere but I thought Phillips went missing.

He looked better later when then Danes were tiring and Henderson was on.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bobness said:

IMG-20210708-WA0010.jpg.9aa975bbc03417f6aa6ddc6f3dffefe2.jpg

I've had pizza for tea (sorry Neil, I mean the period roughly two thirds of the way through a 24 hour period when I became hungry 😅) before each of the knockout games. Do I dare eat anything Italian before the final? 

I'm knackered either way. 

36 minutes ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

I've had pizza for tea (sorry Neil, I mean the period roughly two thirds of the way through a 24 hour period when I became hungry 😅) before each of the knockout games. Do I dare eat anything Italian before the final? 

I'm knackered either way. 

Put pineapple on the pizza so Italy lose. 🤣

3 hours ago, Shez said:

In the small time Henderson has been on the pitch he’s given the ball away more than Rice and Phillips (who both have started every game) combined.

Rice has recovered the ball more times than he’s misplaced a pass and Phillips has more ball recoveries than any other player in the tournament (and 2nd more distance covered).

Henderson is a good player but has offered nothing (bar the headed goal) so far, whereas Rice and Phillips have been massively instrumental in our progression (and us not conceding a single goal in open play)

It would be criminal and short sighted to replace either of the DM’s with Henderson

Some proper no clue about football fans in here isn't there. 

Henderson given the ball away more in his short spells than either rice/Phillips... But he's experienced. Get him in. 

Do people have a clue about modern football?   Some certainly don't seems to. 

• Like 1

Guest Mcguigan
5 minutes ago, Leeds U from sheff said:

Here's some Henderson 'experience' . 

Can't believe people want to change the side 

Be great won't it when Grealish starts, as everyone clamours for, then instead of following team instructions, he turns his back and switches off again when we're defending a throw in. Henderson then tries a glory pass which is intercepted and leads to a goal. 

1 hour ago, Leeds U from sheff said:

Some proper no clue about football fans in here isn't there. 

Henderson given the ball away more in his short spells than either rice/Phillips... But he's experienced. Get him in. 

Do people have a clue about modern football?   Some certainly don't seems to. 

Ha ha a Leeds fan comes on here whinging because some are suggesting Henderson should start instead of his precious Phillips, who has been very ordinary this tournament.

3 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Ha ha a Leeds fan comes on here whinging because some are suggesting Henderson should start instead of his precious Phillips, who has been very ordinary this tournament.

I'm not whinging... Whatever is best to try win whoever they play for. 

Changing the midfield now..... Christ. 🤣

24 minutes ago, Leeds U from sheff said:

I'm not whinging... Whatever is best to try win whoever they play for. 

Changing the midfield now..... Christ. 🤣

Trouble with posting a clip without context to the game is that anyone can do that about any player to make their point.

Name any player and I'll dig a howler out... it's easy but it doesn't make your argument mate.

48 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

He has been very good in every game (and has more game time than any other England outfield player)...he was pretty much MOM in the opening game. Only Sterling has had a better tournement overall

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Very ordinary?

lol

Ffs 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Exactly.. we looked miles better with Henderson, Foden and Grealish on and that’s when we got the winner. But apparently because we got through it means that the first 11 he picked was perfect and couldn’t have been improved upon 

I think the 11 he started with was a good to get us to part of the game where we had the opportunity to win it and he was then able to make the changes needed. Although Rice and Phillips have done very well I would be tempted to pair Henderson with Phillips as Henderson has great experience in these types of games that you want on the field.

I would leave Grealish on the bench, he has had some good moments but more often than not he has been fouled in possession and that doesn't suit us if we want to make it a faster game. Defensively he is a liability, there was one instance where he switched off from a throw in allowing a Danish player to get good possession high up the pitch under no pressure. Football is all ifs and buts, and the lad on the ball had time to look into the 18 to put a cross in which could have changed the whole game.

Can't see whatever side he picks will worry the Italians if they play to the best of their ability, we have little chance. 

We need to be at the very top of our game to get a win, we still lack true quality in all positions and Pickford especially is the glaring weakness in the side, he looked a bag of nerves to me the other night, maybe the occasion got to him.

The saving grace is that we have home advantage and that could be a game changer.

Sterling and Saka surely won't get the same freedom as they were allowed against Denmark. 

It's going to a be a chess match.

Some jokes doing the rounds. You've probably seen them but I thought I'd share in case...

It's terrible what you have to pay nowadays for a team shirt. I was talking to my Scottish neighbour last night who has bought his son a Scottish home and away shirt, a Croatia shirt, a Czech shirt, a German shirt, a Ukraine shirt, a Denmark shirt and now an Italian one. 🤣

image.png.80c5ca6823ce427fbbff32aaf6164f91.png

image.png.3544dca59fd5b5158357229c27bef722.png

... COME ON ENGLAND!!!

Edited by Owl Be Back
  • Haha 1

It’s only Friday and I’m as nervous as hell for the match.  Getting to a final is once in a lifetime for many.

Unbelievably tough match against an excellent Italian team.  However for England the time is now.  The country expects every English player to do their duty and win the tournament.