Someone tell me...

45 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

You think it’s a coincidence that their 7 assists this season came from balls off Reach from the left and Harris from the right? And yet we’ve hardly played them in those roles in tandem.

Do you think Harris on the left and Windass on the wing is working better?

Add to that an abrupt change of system to 4/2/3/1.

3 minutes ago, trevdi9 said:

stupid is as stupid does , we are not geared up for one up front and it is made worse when that one  can't do the job , or the suppliers can't supply  two up top may be old school but it usually works ,

Dead right. It is so obvious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

Plus, the idea that Adam Reach and Kadeem Harris are the answer to all our problems. 

Give me a break. 

Two more wasters to add to the squad of wasters. 

They had a little spell well they played ok and that was it. 

I don’t understand. It worked. 

I do agree that the 3-5-2 formation is the way to go with this group. I don’t like the formation but it suits us best. 

We haven’t a striker who can do the lone role, full backs aren’t good enough and we need 3 in the middle. 

However, it doesn’t detract from the fact that we have an extremely poor squad on the back of a pathetic recruitment campaign.

Its a struggle for this group, regardless of who plays or what system we deploy.

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

....why we binned playing two strikers with Reach left and Harris right?

What exactly didn’t we like about those early crosses, resulting in goals, wins, points and table-climbing?

What exactly do we like about the cleverer more modern formations and inverted wingers and wingers who aren’t wingers, that have seen us lose six in six?

and switching to a solo striker to hold it up when he has no idea..he's converted defender

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I do agree that the 3-5-2 formation is the way to go with this group. I don’t like the formation but it suits us best. 

We haven’t a striker who can do the lone role, full backs aren’t good enough and we need 3 in the middle. 

However, it doesn’t detract from the fact that we have an extremely poor squad on the back of a pathetic recruitment campaign.

Its a struggle for this group, regardless of who plays or what system we deploy.

so just keep it simple and play the players in roles they can cope with

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

It worked for a brief period. 

It only needed to work just enough to finish higher than Wycombe, Rotherham and Birmingham. 

For those six pointers this was our outfield.

Wycombe

Lees Dunkley Urhoghide

Harris Shaw Bannan Hutch Reach

Paterson Rhodes

We CHOSE the following Xls for our other two rivals.

Birmingham

Penney Lees Dunkley Palmer

Hutch Bannan Shaw

Windass Harris 

Paterson

Rotherham

Penney Borner Lees Palmer

Shaw Bannan Hutch

Reach Windass

Paterson

Crazy. We have easily enough half-decent players to finish 21st.  It’s down to rank bad management. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

It only needed to work just enough to finish higher than Wycombe, Rotherham and Birmingham. 

For those six pointers this was our outfield.

Wycombe

Lees Dunkley Urhoghide

Harris Shaw Bannan Hutch Reach

Paterson Rhodes

We CHOSE the following Xls for our other two rivals.

Birmingham

Penney Lees Dunkley Palmer

Hutch Bannan Shaw

Windass Harris 

Paterson

Rotherham

Penney Borner Lees Palmer

Shaw Bannan Hutch

Reach Windass

Paterson

Crazy. We have easily enough half-decent players to finish 21st.  It’s down to rank bad management. 

You are right mate. On paper the squad has sufficient experience and ability ,whilst not promotion contenders, to keep us out of trouble. The succession of different managers,with their varying opinions on players and formations hasn't helped. Ultimately the responsibility for the plight we find ourselves in rests with one person and one person alone.

1 minute ago, REDOWL said:

You are right mate. On paper the squad has sufficient experience and ability ,whilst not promotion contenders, to keep us out of trouble. The succession of different managers,with their varying opinions on players and formations hasn't helped. Ultimately the responsibility for the plight we find ourselves in rests with one person and one person alone.

I totally understand the desire to blame DC, and he is a hideous disaster of a chairman.

But I disagree. We STILL had the tools to survive, had Monk, Pulis and Thompson used our players in the obvious best line-ups and formation.

Easily.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Yep.

352 with Hutch at the back, Harris and Reach on their best side, two strikers.

Worked well, but for reasons known only to Thompson we’ve stopped it.

The 4231 is awful. Moore needs to see it by next week.

It's been shown time and time again that Reach and Harris can't play wing back. 2 of Lutons goals came from breaks down our right when Harris was miles away. Reach will at least track back but he's a poor defender. 

Harris and Reach are decent LW and RW players in a 442. That limits us to 2 in central midfield which has never worked with Bannan. Plus we've not got a LB. 

The squad is a total mess. This is why Pulis bailed quickly. 

• Like 1

It's a weird one.

I prefer the Wycombe game setup for obvious reasons I.e. it worked.

But I think (as pulis alluded to and many others) the squad is just so unbalanced its untrue.

No senior left back at the club.

Didn't replace Fletcher. (And we couldnt because of money and who would want to come here).

We simply don't have the quality that Murphy gave us.

Nuhiu should have never been allowed to leave. I don't care what anyone says.. there was at least a 'footballer' in him with the ability to create something or cause a massive nuisance.

I have never seen a team, where if the opponent attacks.. within 2 quick passes they have completley bypassed our midfield and are running at our defenders. Its as if midfield simply doesn't exist it's that wide open.

Been lightweight in midfield since playoff final and never addressed.

Playing a right back up front.

Matt Penney is not good enough at defending. Harris for whatever reason seems to give up every crossing opportunity to turn back into trouble.

Despite having 3 keepers.. there really isn't a good one in any if them. Both Dawson and wildsmith are mental and confidence shot. Westwood is fine but brittle and error prone also.

Reach needs playing natural position or not at all.

Least said about Kachunga the better.

Other teams simply don't have to worry about us and we don't have the nouse in any formation to actually break anyone down hence or dismal record against our relegation rivals.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Holmowl said:

....why we binned playing two strikers with Reach left and Harris right?

What exactly didn’t we like about those early crosses, resulting in goals, wins, points and table-climbing?

What exactly do we like about the cleverer more modern formations and inverted wingers and wingers who aren’t wingers, that have seen us lose six in six?

Inverted wingers

A concept that needs throwing straight in the bin

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, benni8 said:

It's a weird one.

I prefer the Wycombe game setup for obvious reasons I.e. it worked.

But I think (as pulis alluded to and many others) the squad is just so unbalanced its untrue.

No senior left back at the club.

Didn't replace Fletcher. (And we couldnt because of money and who would want to come here).

We simply don't have the quality that Murphy gave us.

Nuhiu should have never been allowed to leave. I don't care what anyone says.. there was at least a 'footballer' in him with the ability to create something or cause a massive nuisance.

I have never seen a team, where if the opponent attacks.. within 2 quick passes they have completley bypassed our midfield and are running at our defenders. Its as if midfield simply doesn't exist it's that wide open.

Been lightweight in midfield since playoff final and never addressed.

Playing a right back up front.

Matt Penney is not good enough at defending. Harris for whatever reason seems to give up every crossing opportunity to turn back into trouble.

Despite having 3 keepers.. there really isn't a good one in any if them. Both Dawson and wildsmith are mental and confidence shot. Westwood is fine but brittle and error prone also.

Reach needs playing natural position or not at all.

Least said about Kachunga the better.

Other teams simply don't have to worry about us and we don't have the nouse in any formation to actually break anyone down hence or dismal record against our relegation rivals.

Harris turns back into trouble when he’s played on the left. Just as Reach does when he’s played on the right. Their crossing off their natural wing is early and dangerous. Hence 7 assists off their natural wings but none when played inverted.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Inverted wingers

A concept that needs throwing straight in the bin

Works with the right players. FF and Wallace both played as inverted wingers and were really effective. We got width and crosses back then from Pudil and Hunt who were both excellent full backs at this level on their day. 

We've not got anyone near the quality of those 4 now though. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, kristmace said:

Works with the right players. FF and Wallace both played as inverted wingers and were really effective. We got width and crosses back then from Pudil and Hunt who were both excellent full backs at this level on their day. 

We've not got anyone near the quality of those 4 now though. 

Ultimately that's what it boils down to though isn't it. I.e. quality.

You don't have to spend megabucks to get quality either..  it can be found and nutured or coached to a certain extent.

Unfortunately that aspect of the game I.e. scouting and or academy is non existent..  and when we do get someone decent.. we don't tie them down or give them a road map for future goals or success to stay here. All very here and now and vision that comes from our Thai leader.

It's all very sad.. but was coming from a mile off from the late shirts, to boyd, to accounts, selling ground etc etc..

I genuinely believe he will sack Moore when we get relegated. Nothing in his behaviour up to this point makes me think otherwise.

It does seem as fans that we’re flogging a dead horse though.

However, for the coaching staff, couldn’t give a poop what you see in training, watch the matches back  and surely you will see ....

1) We don’t have anyone who can play 1 up front: Patterson’s hold up play (ie first touch) isn’t good enough and Rhodes doesn’t have the physique - conclusion we have  to play two up - doesn’t matter whether you like this formation or not its what you’ve got.

2). Patterson and Windass doesn’t work, Patterson and Kachuga is worse, Kachunga and Windass gives us the same player on the pitch twice, Kachunga with Rhodes, Kachunga goes too deep, Windass and Rhodes ( have they had a falling out ? ) leaves Patterson and Rhodes as our only effective forward set up. It worked in the pre-season matches its worked when we’ve used it. Watch the matches its obvious.

3). Play Reach and Harris on their correct wings, theirs no point in going on about Reach losing interest, has this coincided with him being played out of position yet again ? Ask him ? 

4) Hutchinson was good at centre back, has not got the legs to play CDM anymore. 
5). You’ve gone back to the set up/tactics that have not been working for the last 15months. Why ? We are not Man City, we don’t have the players. Everything does not have to be pretty triangles, every move does not have to go through Bannan. On the wrong wings Reach (in particular) waits for BB to catch up with play, it takes any tempo out of the game. We play better at a higher tempo, the pretty triangles in the middle of the pitch generally go no where.

So another vote for two up top, higher tempo and crosses into the box, yes old fashioned but I didn’t sign this set of players and its the only way they’ve looked comfortable playing.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

We are bobbins. 

Mind Westwood, Iorfa and Luongo all missing right down the spine hasn't helped in pulling any glimmer we might have had. 

Aye, poor old Iorfa, he was put to sleep for his operation in the Championship and woke up in the League One recovery ward.🤔

• Like 1