Supporters group applies to have Hillsborough classed as an asset of community value

Guest Grandad

I have just one simple question.

Can the funds be raised in the event that a bid comes in, or the club is actively put up for sale?

It's possibly fundamental.   

Or are you just wanting to get a heads up and 6 months notice to bring the fact to light?

Ok, I had two questions.   My bad.

Edited by Salmonbones

1 hour ago, Salmonbones said:

1) Can the funds be raised in the event that a bid comes in, or the club is actively put up for sale?

2) Or are you just wanting to get a heads up and 6 months notice to bring the fact to light?

1) It's very unlikely that the Trust, community or fan base could raise the finance needed - so that isn't really the aim of what we're doing.

2) Not just that, but transparency about any future sale is part of the reason for what we're doing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SWFC Trust said:

1) It's very unlikely that the Trust, community or fan base could raise the finance needed - so that isn't really the aim of what we're doing.

2) Not just that, but transparency about any future sale is part of the reason for what we're doing.

I'm really sorry, I just don't get it.

It's an act of futility at best.   It's also a means to get the back up of someone who has proved he does not take adversity well.   Finally, it's.....absolutely pointless.

With far far less than 1k members, you are trying to make yourself relevant, when quite frankly the opposite is clearly true.

I would further suggest that the fanbase at large is against what you are doing - you are a minority, and a poor one at that.

Edited by Salmonbones

1 hour ago, Tamworthowl said:

Sorry to be pedantic, but as I’m now defined (by Neil) as a dummy I need to point out that you have avoided answering the first question. Being “less attractive” is not the same as being “a barrier”. There are circumstances, more applicable to Hillsborough than many other grounds, where an ACV does make investment less attractive whilst not preventing that investment.

On the second question. Who/what do you consider to be the “local community” and how will you seek to get their support? Will you be out canvassing all the residents on Leppings Lane, Vere Rd, Middlewood Rd etc or what?

I think point one is opinion as much as anything. I could reword the question I suppose. One thing I will say is that we are unaware of any other football club with an ACV where that ACV has clearly acted as a barrier to investment, made investment less attractive, or prevented a team from moving stadium. There are lots of examples of where the ACV has been very well received by all parties. 

More details to come on how we canvass support. 

10 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

It's an act of futility at best.   It's also a means to get the back up of someone who has proved he does not take adversity well.   Finally, it's.....absolutely pointless.

With far far less than 1k members, you are trying to make yourself relevant, when quite frankly the opposite is clearly true.

I would further suggest that the fanbase at large is against what you are doing - you are a minority, and a poor one at that.

The rest of the comment is your opinion I guess. We are not doing this to 'get the back up' of anyone though. There are plenty of examples of clubs who have welcomed ACV status for their grounds. We hope that SWFC will support the move also. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

If DC doesn’t take adversity well then that’s his problem for being a big baby. He’s split the club from the ground without a word of consultation with the fans. Frankly, I want an insurance policy that will help prevent this historic stadium being fizzed over by DC or one of his advisors. 

• Love 1

Hi there,

Just to clarify that we have not actually applied yet. Our members voted in favour of the following statement: 

'Should the SWFC Supporters' Trust make an application, and aim to secure, ACV status for Hillsborough Stadium?'

We are in the process of pulling together support before making the application. Last time this was mentioned, OT asked me to write a short Q&A - it's next post. There are lots more details here: https://www.swfctrust.co.uk/news/asset-of-community-value-application

• Like 2

_107849460_wed_get.jpg

Asset of Community Value (ACV)

What is an ACV?

It is simply a label given to something (usually a building) that is seen to have value to a local community (examples libraries, parks, or football grounds)

Who decides whether somewhere is an ACV?

It is applied for by a community organisation (in this case the SWFC Supporters' Trust) and decided upon by the council.

What happens if the Council say yes it is an ACV?

There are various legal protections added to the site, perhaps the key one for Hillsborough is that status ensures the local community (Council and Trust) will be informed of any attempt to sell the asset by its owner.

What happens if the owner does want to sell Hillsborough?

He/she can do so, but must let the Council know. The council can either say that the sale is fine, for example if it is being sold to someone who wants to continue using Hillsborough as a football stadium. They can also put a hold on the sale of up to six months (called a moratorium).

What happens if any sale is put on hold?

Then the local community can decide whether it wants to bid for the stadium. There are various time frames related to this.

Is the aim of this process for the Trust or the community to buy the ground?

No, it is very unlikely that the Trust or community would be able to raise the finance to buy the ground

So, what is the point?

There are several reasons, but one key one is transparency. An ACV means there must be openness from any owner of SWFC over the ownership of the ground. The council must be informed in advance of any potential sale, and in turn the Trust, local community and fanbase. The ACV has a symbolic status therefore of the importance of Hillsborough to fans and the community.

Will this make SWFC less attractive to a new owner/investor?

The ACV is not a barrier to the sale / new investment into Sheffield Wednesday football club.

What are the next steps?

The Trust's members voted in favour of the Trust applying for, and aiming to secure, ACV status. The Trust will firstly clarify some points with the council, then look to put together a bid. In making that bid, we aim to gain the support of the club, politicians, the local community, and fanbase. If anything shows to us in that process that the application is wrong for SWFC, the community or fanbase, then we will return to our members and ask again. We are convinced so far that it is a positive step for all involved.

Where can I learn more?

We've published an extensive Q&A previously. Alternatively, ask questions here and I'll try and answer. Even better, join the Trust!

Guest Hornsby
On 16/02/2021 at 22:21, SWFC Trust said:

The rest of the comment is your opinion I guess. We are not doing this to 'get the back up' of anyone though. There are plenty of examples of clubs who have welcomed ACV status for their grounds. We hope that SWFC will support the move also. 

Supporting this application would be most tangible thing fans can do now to help secure and stabilise club.

May also bankrupt Sheffield 3 company, thus piling pressure on Chansiri to sell club at reasonable rate.

£30 million, according to Transfermarket.

Which he's just rejected from Alonso's Indonesian group.

On 16/02/2021 at 08:13, vulva said:

The club, this frenzied up forum and the emergence of the latest opportunist Trust are going in exactly the same direction as when DA was in charge. 

On 16/02/2021 at 10:10, vulva said:

It’s just causing trouble. At a time when it’s not needed. 

At least they are actually trying to do something positive mate, even If it still looks like DC could still do what he wants it can potentially put a spanner in the works and buy a bit of time.

Only one bloke to blame for all of this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 16/02/2021 at 12:07, @owlstalk said:

Yeah you're right

Chansiri's got everything flowing smoothly - we dont' wanna stop the success train

Does it stop in Sheffield?

Cos if it does I want to get off I feel sick. 

12 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

At least they are actually trying to do something positive mate, even If it still looks like DC could still do what he wants it can potentially put a spanner in the works and buy a bit of time.

Only one bloke to blame for all of this.

Each to their own n that and everyone's entitled to their own opinions obviously

BUT

I just can't get my head around Vulva's idea of everyone doing absolutely nothing different, or basically doing nothing at all

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

Staggering negativity in this thread and, I have to say, typical of a lot of the posts on here.

The trust are trying to do something positive for the future of our club, the first step being transparency around ownership of the stadium; what could possibly be bad about that?

Yet here we are, 7 pages of childish comments and stupid remarks about why it can't/shouldn't be done!

This is absolutely typical for a lot of the posters on this site, lots of shouting and gobbing off about how bad the club is BUT when people make any attempt to change things, even the smallest step, people are so quick to try to discredit those attempts.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stripes or die said:

Staggering negativity in this thread and, I have to say, typical of a lot of the posts on here. 

Eh?

The vast majority of posts in this thread are welcoming this move and encouraging it

Get out of here with your 'posts on here' comment FFS

This site gets called negative for a couple of posts questioning the Trust doing this
And this site gets called negative for supporting the Trust doing this

Everyone should maybe stop adding 'this site' or 'on here' to try and add weight to their own personal stance on things - it's getting tired now

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

17 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Eh?

The vast majority of posts in this thread are welcoming this move and encouraging it

Get out of here with your 'posts on here' comment FFS

This site gets called negative for a couple of posts questioning the Trust doing this
And this site gets called negative for supporting the Trust doing this

Everyone should maybe stop adding 'this site' or 'on here' to try and add weight to their own personal stance on things - it's getting tired now

Ha, ha. Righto.

So what you're saying then is you can have your opinion and create your agenda but others can't?!? Wtf! Great forum.