Running contracts down

It’s the lack of logic in what he’s doing that worries me. Every day costs him money, and yet he seems to do little to try and secure the future with a long term plan, or, in the short term, try and make the club an attractive buy.  It’s like pouring money into that old banger sat on the drive that you know will never turn a wheel and you’ve no intention of selling.  We all know what happens to old bangers eventually. I really do fear for the future.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, beswetherick said:

It really is sickening how much money we’ve spent on transfer fees and wages just to let players run down their contracts and leave for nothing.

Dozens of millions spent transfer fees and wages below (and that’s just David Jones) with absolutely nothing to show for it. The fact we’re about to lose our best prospect for nothing this summer (along with other key first team players) just shows that DC hasn’t learnt his lesson. Thoroughly depressing. 

19/20

Boyd, Pudil, Jones, Abdi, Matias, Hooper

20/21

Forestieri, Fletcher, Fox, Winnall

21/22

Rhodes, Bannan, Reach, Lees, van Aken, Westwood all out of contract. 

Shaw, Penney and Urhoghide can all leave for nowt in summer too — instead of becoming assets for us, they’ll end up becoming assets for another club

Looking at those players.WTF::duntmatter:

Boyd: Burnley in the Premier League wanted to keep him, but wouldn't match our wages we were offering. Looked like a good signing. Was never injured, but got a bad injury here and overall was forgettable. His final season under bruce was probably his best I think. Left and joined Peterborough his old team in League 1, don't know where he is now?

Pudil: Was great on loan from Watford in the PL, then we bought him and he steadily declined at LB, moved to CB where we got some more juice out of him. Left and joined a club in his homeland of Czech Republic.

Jones: Did we buy him or was he free haha? From Burnley in the PL. Was not his former self when he joined. Left and joined Oldham in L1 I think. 

Abdi: Haha enough said, looked like a really good signing from Watford in the PL though. Watford fans were really upset with this and said he was way better than Forestieri. Left and now plays in Switzerland I think.

Matias: Bought from Portugal, best performances were under bruce. Best memories is his goal at Leeds, his shiny teeth haha and his cake shop haha. Left and joined a club back in Portugal. 

Hooper: Bought from Norwich and didn't he want a executive box too haha? Was injury prone before and with us, was a good/important player though. Left and joined a club in New Zealand. 

Forestieri: Should have been sold after the Norwich incident, left and joined Udinese in Italy.   

Fletcher: Looked like a good signing, but was injury prone before and with us. His best season was last season and he was injured for around half of it haha. Left for Stoke after reportedly turning down a contract extension here on less money.

Fox: Decent signing with some potential, even was linked with Man Utd a few years before joining us. Improved a lot and became a decent Championship LB and always did steady at CB too. Left for Stoke with the some of the same reasons as reported with Fletcher.

Winnall: We buy a player scoring goals in the Championship with Barnsley and then buy Rhodes a week or so later when we already had 5 or 6 ST's. Never really had a chance and had a bad injury at Derby and was never really the same after. Left and joined Oxford United in L1.

So only Forestieri, Fletcher and Fox have moved to a similar level of club or better, and we might be playing against Winnall next season. I'm not even going into our current players or other old players, it just gets even worse anyway. Who have we sold for 1M+? I can only think of probably Hunt and Joao, and that was only for P&S/FFP reasons.

That's enough Wednesday for me now until Saturday.lol

• Like 1

Too many big shiny contracts, too little regard to player fitness leaves you with lots of highly paid assets with patchy injury history’s and no other clubs willing to pay the same we do. That’s why we have to run contracts down - no one wants to pay an inflated transfer fee and match our ridiculous wages.

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, striker said:

I wrote a really long insightful post, but deleted it. What's the point. It's just a waste of time while Chansiri and Paxo are here. 

Hope is extinguished...I  realised that I only continue to watch games because there's nothing else to do. 

I've gone from doing that or really reading things on here now. I just read the OMDT and bbc match report, have been for a few weeks.

• Like 1

a policy of not offering players a contract extension until the last 6 months leaves you exposed to others poaching them because the agent will tout their player to the highest bidder. No other club I see operates like this on a regular basis, contracts should be offered 18 months prior to it finishing to give you a better leverage, leaving it leaves you vulnerable to predators. So don't blame the player all they are doing is trying to secure their future, blame the insane inept policy 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest mrbluesky
6 hours ago, ponym110 said:

Said it before it’s not this season that worries me it’s next year.

it’ll be close but I think we good enough to stay up but who’s going to be left for next year

There is  another major shitstorm ahead, that’s for sure, the only saving grace will be Covid ( in a perverse way)

12 hours ago, Captain Scarlett said:

DC truly is the Anti-Midas......................EVERYTHING !.........he touches turns to dross.

This club is going only one way with DC as owner. It's  a game to him. Only the game is Snakes & Ladders but without the ladders.

King Midas in Reverse?

Hollies 1967

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

1 hour ago, A858 said:

How many players have we sold since Chansiri took over the club?

Stevie May - Preston 15/16 season. Around 1M?

Rhoys Wiggins - Bournemouth 15/16. Around 250K?

Marnick Vermijl - Preston 16/17. Undisclosed.

Jack Hunt - Bristol City 18/19. Around 1.5M?

Ash Baker - Newport County 19/20. Undisclosed.

Jordan Thorniley - Blackpool 19/20. Undisclosed.

Lucas Joao - Reading 19/20. Around 5M, plus add ons etc?

Also we have bought 4 players in the last 3 seasons as well.

Dominic Iorfa - Wolves 18/19. Undisclosed, around 250K I think. 

Massimo Luongo - QPR 19/20. Around 1M?

Callum Paterson - Cardiff 20/21. Around 500K?

Josh Windass - Wigan 20/21. Around 500K?

From: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sheffield-wednesday/alletransfers/verein/1035 I think I got all of them. It all went downhill on the signings when we spunked the last on Rhodes for around 10M? and 2.5M-3M? on Van Aken in the 17/18 season, plus on the others transfers/wages before.  

4 minutes ago, Incognito Owl said:

Stevie May - Preston 15/16 season. Around 1M?

Rhoys Wiggins - Bournemouth 15/16. Around 250K?

Marnick Vermijl - Preston 16/17. Undisclosed.

Jack Hunt - Bristol City 18/19. Around 1.5M?

Ash Baker - Newport County 19/20. Undisclosed.

Jordan Thorniley - Blackpool 19/20. Undisclosed.

Lucas Joao - Reading 19/20. Around 5M, plus add ons etc?

Also we have bought 4 players in the last 3 seasons as well.

Dominic Iorfa - Wolves 18/19. Undisclosed, around 250K I think. 

Massimo Luongo - QPR 19/20. Around 1M?

Callum Paterson - Cardiff 20/21. Around 500K?

Josh Windass - Wigan 20/21. Around 500K?

From: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sheffield-wednesday/alletransfers/verein/1035 I think I got all of them. It all went downhill on the signings when we spunked the last on Rhodes for around 10M? and 2.5M-3M? on Van Aken in the 17/18 season, plus on the others transfers/wages before.  

So he's sold 7 in 6 years now.

4 hours ago, doubleo said:

It’s the lack of logic in what he’s doing that worries me. Every day costs him money, and yet he seems to do little to try and secure the future with a long term plan, or, in the short term, try and make the club an attractive buy.  It’s like pouring money into that old banger sat on the drive that you know will never turn a wheel and you’ve no intention of selling.  We all know what happens to old bangers eventually. I really do fear for the future.

Spot on.

What is the endgame here? 

I mean the club is literally falling apart in front of him and he does nothing to stop that decline.

Edited by SiJ

3 minutes ago, Tea Baggins said:

It's very scary 

Yep.

I just don't get it.

The only rational explanation is his money has completely dried up.

If not, then god knows what he's up to.

No one, absolutely no one, with an ounce of intelligence, would look at the current situation and think everything is fine.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Yep.

I just don't get it.

The only rational explanation is his money has completely dried up.

If not, then god knows what he's up to.

No one, absolutely no one, with an ounce of intelligence, would look at the current situation and think everything is fine.

I'm just preparing for the club going into administration and starting again.

Think Bolton.

One thing going for us is that we have the pull and fan base to make us a better proposition for future buyers.

It's a depressing thought but a serious one. Anyone who can't see it as a reality is deluded.

• Like 1