Running contracts down

19 hours ago, beswetherick said:

It really is sickening how much money we’ve spent on transfer fees and wages just to let players run down their contracts and leave for nothing.

Dozens of millions spent transfer fees and wages below (and that’s just David Jones) with absolutely nothing to show for it. The fact we’re about to lose our best prospect for nothing this summer (along with other key first team players) just shows that DC hasn’t learnt his lesson. Thoroughly depressing. 

19/20

Boyd, Pudil, Jones, Abdi, Matias, Hooper

20/21

Forestieri, Fletcher, Fox, Winnall

21/22

Rhodes, Bannan, Reach, Lees, van Aken, Westwood all out of contract. 

Shaw, Penney and Urhoghide can all leave for nowt in summer too — instead of becoming assets for us, they’ll end up becoming assets for another club

How do you stop them from running down?

I suspect DC will be off at the end of the season but only if we remain in the championship. The club has barely tried to sign player or resign let squad players.

with no rebuilding likely in the summer without new owners the likes of Hutch, westwood, Bannan, reach, harris, Lees have to be retained but equally we need to freshen up the team and improve the attacking threat.

I just feel there is very little attempt to resign players with no plan for next season. 

17 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

How do you stop them from running down?

The club should have a proper financial strategy in place and asset realisation/depreciation should form part of that, interlinking with the strategy for player recruitment and development. We’re doing better in terms of signing players with resale value now, but that means nothing if you let their contract run down instead of selling them for a profit when their stock is high.  

A well-run club would be planning what their first team squad will ideally look like a couple of years ahead at least, and no well-run club (or business) should allow assets potentially worth millions (and that they have invested millions in to) to depreciate in value to the point they’re worth nothing — like we do, again and again and again.

For what it’s worth, my suggestions would be: renew contracts for players we want to keep or who have some transfer value when they get within 18 months of expiry; sell players (for actual money) who aren’t going to sign a new deal as early as possible (e.g. 12 months before expiry or sooner); give longer contracts to younger players; include extension clauses wherever possible that the club can choose to activate; and never let any player with any transfer value (making allowances for older players who generally don’t have much, if any, transfer value) run down their contract.

Lucas Joao is a rare example of the club getting things right. A young player with potential signed on a 4 year contract in 2015, we then gave him a new 3 year contract in 2018, and sold him for over 2x what we paid for him (with a hefty sell-on clause attached) in 2019. Why we don’t then apply that model to the rest of our players who have value and/or potential is baffling to me. We’re a multimillion pound business and if DC is sticking around then he needs to start running us like one, or hire somebody who can. 

16 hours ago, room0035 said:

I suspect DC will be off at the end of the season but only if we remain in the championship. The club has barely tried to sign player or resign let squad players.

with no rebuilding likely in the summer without new owners the likes of Hutch, westwood, Bannan, reach, harris, Lees have to be retained but equally we need to freshen up the team and improve the attacking threat.

I just feel there is very little attempt to resign players with no plan for next season. 

Don’t think he’s going anywhere. Think he’s just lost interest and is running it from a far with very little care for what actually happens. 

It’s not the first time bored rich owners just stop giving a poo about their failed vanity project. 

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Don’t think he’s going anywhere. Think he’s just lost interest and is running it from a far with very little care for what actually happens. 

It’s not the first time bored rich owners just stop giving a poo about their failed vanity project. 

We will end up like Ipswich.

Marcus Evans (their owner) has a reported net worth of 800 million. He stopped giving a f00k years ago and look at them now.

Just now, SiJ said:

We will end up like Ipswich.

Marcus Evans (their owner) has a reported net worth of 800 million. He stopped giving a f00k years ago and look at them now.

That’s exactly how I see it. Hull are the same. 

Most owners who get bored hang around for a while and then leave. But there’s something different about Chansiri. I think he’s incredibly stubborn and would happily see us rot before relinquishing control. 

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

That’s exactly how I see it. Hull are the same. 

Most owners who get bored hang around for a while and then leave. But there’s something different about Chansiri. I think he’s incredibly stubborn and would happily see us rot before relinquishing control. 

I've no idea.

Perhaps he is doing it out of spite, even though he's losing vast sums keeping us afloat.

Something doesn't add up with it all. I just don't understand why any sane person would maintain such a course when it must be costing them a fortune.

I don't think he's a Karl Oyston, but god knows what he's thinking right now.

I've a feeling it finally hit home to Dc that relagation was a very worrying possibility this season,add to that being skint becouse of all his ffp misdemeanours. 

If we sign a lot of the bigger earners such as Westwood, bazza, Lees etc on new long term contracts and go down it will be really crippling financially. 

Hence why I think he's putting everyones contracts on hold till the end of the season, it's a gamble and may backfire if we do stay up, but would be to our benefit if we go down. 

If this is the case though it's unforgivable if we lose all the up coming prospects for nothing, as they to me needed contract extensions due to increased value as they progress, unlike those above who are aging and lessening in value. 

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I've no idea.

Perhaps he is doing it out of spite, even though he's losing vast sums keeping us afloat.

Something doesn't add up with it all. I just don't understand why any sane person would maintain such a course when it must be costing them a fortune.

I don't think he's a Karl Oyston, but god knows what he's thinking right now.

I was tempted to do a really long thread of all the terrible decisions he’s made, but it’s too depressing when you actually think about it.

I just can’t believe how bad he’s been. So many decisions make no sense and just don’t seem to be of benefit to the football club. 

I can’t work the man out. I’m completely convinced this will get really really ugly. Just hope we survive it.

• Like 1