Carlton Palmer on Chansiri and the new manager

I am not sure its a Director of Football we need. 

I would prefer somebody who has fondness for club and plenty of common sense to have DC's ear so that some of daft things we have done can be avoided.

Palmer thought TP was right man for job which shows what he knows. 

Wilkinson is still functioning but is probably too old to act as regular confident. Brian Laws would strike me as a good man to consult.

It is amazing to see how many pundits are saying Paul Cook would be right man for job. Lets hope DC reading a few of columns.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Bit bold to claim this as fact

lol

It is fact 

100% Palmer knows naff all about how the club is ran 

Just sprouting to keep relivent with the fan base 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

He is bang on the money. I for one, along with many others on here have said since the day Chansiri took over he should have brought in Wilkinson to run the footballing side of the club . Instead we have advisors who run sports management companies with a vested interest in parking their players and managers at Hillsbro to make money from the club. We have advisors who don't have the clubs interest at heart, only their wallets. 

This policy is an open goal for these advisors to fleece the club. 

I've still never got my head around this as a sensible policy for running a football club.

Previous managers have hinted that certain 'advisors' are "part of the fabric of the club"/de facto DoFs etc.  If so, and they have such a huge say in the running of the Club, then why not put them on the payroll and introduce some accountability?  Pay them accordingly if you have to - make our success their only priority.  

I don't mind him getting advice, and I can stomach him even getting it from his current ones.  But he could pay these people to do that exclusively to the benefit of SWFC if he so wished - not juggling our interests amongst those of other clients they have.  This approach of linking up with agents/sports management companies etc, whilst not unique to us and there are examples of where it has worked, has failed us.  I cannot understand why he wouldn't, at the absolute minimum, look at changing this up in some way.

Put it this way, if I was pumping £100s of millions into a football club (as we're told), I'd want to know that any advice I was taking was, without any shadow of a doubt, the best advice for my investment as that person's priority.  And to some extent that must demand exclusivity?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Enjoyed most of what Carlton said but thought he was a bit disrespectful to the people who’ve applied. Even Chris Coleman was a better manager than Carlton was!

2 minutes ago, blueandwhitematt said:

I've still never got my head around this as a sensible policy for running a football club.

Previous managers have hinted that certain 'advisors' are "part of the fabric of the club"/de facto DoFs etc.  If so, and they have such a huge say in the running of the Club, then why not put them on the payroll and introduce some accountability?  Pay them accordingly if you have to - make our success their only priority.  

I don't mind him getting advice, and I can stomach him even getting it from his current ones.  But he could pay these people to do that exclusively to the benefit of SWFC if he so wished - not juggling our interests amongst those of other clients they have.  This approach of linking up with agents/sports management companies etc, whilst not unique to us and there are examples of where it has worked, has failed us.  I cannot understand why he wouldn't, at the absolute minimum, look at changing this up in some way.

Put it this way, if I was pumping £100s of millions into a football club (as we're told), I'd want to know that any advice I was taking was, without any shadow of a doubt, the best advice for my investment as that person's priority.  And to some extent that must demand exclusivity?

Great post. It’s the lack of accountability for me. The advisers are just there in the background. We see them at games and we know they work for the chairman - so why not give them an official title and give them some accountability for their decisions? 

With them just lurking in the background it just all seems very shady and strange. We had the new adviser claiming he was a shareholder in his Instagram bio (deleted it since) and then the chairman saying ‘he’s nothing special’? What’s that all about? 

At the end of the day these agents don’t just work for SWFC. That’s my issue with it. They will have other interests and clients they work for. So I struggle to believe that every decision they make is with SWFC at heart. 

I can see the attraction of relying on sports agents for a short term fix when you’ve got a bit of money to spend. Therefore I can see why DC went for this approach a few years back when he had money to spend and he wanted Premier League football. However years down the line, struggling in the Championship with very little money seemingly available - why he is neglecting a proper footballing structure I don’t understand. The only reason I can think of is stubbornness.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, akbuk said:

What is a director of  football are there any good examples in the UK? 

I literally pasted your question into google. 

This came up. 
https://www.90min.com/posts/6272660-profiling-all-15-directors-of-football-in-the-premier-league

It’s from a couple of years ago but will enlighten you...

31 minutes ago, akbuk said:

What is a director of  football are there any good examples in the UK? 

Great question! I’m struggling to think of any clubs where this is currently happening. Peterborough maybe with Barry fry?

some clubs have had success with targeted recruitment in the past. Bloke up at Newcastle bought well from the french market. Tony carr?

Leicester have also bought well recently, from french/Dutch/Belgian leagues. Mike Walsh? 

Personally I think a lot of our problems past and present come from poor player recruitment. We don’t seem to have eyes and ears spread far and wide. 

1 minute ago, gillyno9 said:

Great question! I’m struggling to think of any clubs where this is currently happening. Peterborough maybe with Barry fry?

some clubs have had success with targeted recruitment in the past. Bloke up at Newcastle bought well from the french market. Tony carr?

Leicester have also bought well recently, from french/Dutch/Belgian leagues. Mike Walsh? 

Personally I think a lot of our problems past and present come from poor player recruitment. We don’t seem to have eyes and ears spread far and wide. 

Which is why you need a CEO and a director of football to put a proper structure in place.

Guest wilyfox

Carlton was a great player for us, but I can’t take anything he says seriously. He does talk some shyte. I remember when he called for DC to sign Rhodes at the time. Called him a proper striker and said if you wanna go up pay the money. Worked out well didn’t it. Then earlier this season said the same about Dwight Gayle. He’s not what we need either. Carlton Palmer has no clue.

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Which is why you need a CEO and a director of football to put a proper structure in place.

Yes, I agree. Glenn roeder, Adam Pearson combo might have been interesting if it had time to play out. Think they were responsible for a few of the 2015 summer signings 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Maybe DC likes having advisers to lean on because it means he is still in control and they’re only there if he needs advice. They won’t question how he’s running things because they’re  just an adviser. 

A CEO or DOF might be more willing to challenge him and his running of things and DC won’t like that.

So no matter how much bad advice they have given him, DC will keep them on because it’s his preferred way of running the club. 

Absolutely , that's just how I see him