Carlton Palmer on Chansiri and the new manager

1 minute ago, Hookowl said:

Sal I wasn't debating whether we should have a CEO or not, just saying that a CEO's role is not a go between the club and the fans.

No you’re right. Maybe I worded it wrongly. But having a proper management structure at the club will help bridge that gap between fans and the chairman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akbuk said:

D. O. F tend to be in Spain very few in the UK Chansiri does have football advisors so i don't see the difference. 

One thing that needs sorting at the club is it's Communications with the fans,most good businesses have a decent PR department, we don't appear to be in that league. 

Think you are a bit outdated with that viewpoint:

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

1 hour ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

A Director of football is a waste of a wage IMO.

What do they actually contribute?  

Playing side should be under remit of manager, recruitment be under remit of head of recruitment (guy Bruce brought in)

Yeah, the fact that the majority of successful clubs have gone down this route must purely be down to the fact they have money to waste on another wage rather than it actually working!

We are about to appoint our 3rd permanent manager of the season. Put a manager in charge of transfers with a turnover rate like that and you will have each manager wanting to bring in his own players and blaming the previous manager for the recruitment which creates a cycle you wont get out of.

Having a clearly defined approach and a director of football working solely for one club ensures that a more long-term plan can be put in place and it does not have to be completely ripped up when a new manager is appointed.  

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Yeah, the fact that the majority of successful clubs have gone down this route must purely be down to the fact they have money to waste on another wage rather than it actually working!

We are about to appoint our 3rd permanent manager of the season. Put a manager in charge of transfers with a turnover rate like that and you will have each manager wanting to bring in his own players and blaming the previous manager for the recruitment which creates a cycle you wont get out of.

Having a clearly defined approach and a director of football working solely for one club ensures that a more long-term plan can be put in place and it does not have to be completely ripped up when a new manager is appointed.  

Absolutely. 

12 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Think you are a bit outdated with that viewpoint:

In premier League you are taking it up a level and sides have £150m in come to justify the position.

Even then look at the list in the article many of them are basically on the recruitment side and doing role that David Downes is at Swfc.

One of those on the list is Tony "AEW" Khan the Fulham owner 

Edited by wellbeaten-the-owl

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Doesn't he contradict himself by saying the manager will want control of football matters but also says we should have a director of football?

I agree on needing a director of football but I don't agree that Wilkinson would be the ideal choice with his age and the amount of time he has been out of the game.

Also don't agree with him on this point:

If I was a manager going in there, I'd want to be in charge of all footballing matters.

"That, I believe, was the problem with Tony Pulis. You can't tell a manager how he should play the game.

I don't think the owner or anyone at the club was telling Pulis to play the game as he did, that was Pulis' style and few are disappointed that he paid the price for that. Results since have shown that such an experienced manager should have been capable of producing more than he did.

3 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

In premier League you are taking it up a level and sides have £150m in come to justify the position.

Even then look at the list in the article many of them are basically on the recruitment side and doing role that David Downes is at Swfc.

One of those on the list is Tony "AEW" Khan the Fulham owner 

So out of the 15 listed you highlight 1 as not being great.

There are also plenty of directors of football at Championship level. Even Barsnley have a CEO who has a remit to work on long-term squad investment and improvement.

David Downes is an interesting one. Can you reference any successful signings he has played a key role in? Apparently he is also involved in coordinating the scouting department, I'm sure Pulis' retired old mates were top of his list of scouts to bring in recently.......

Downes was brought into the club by Bruce, so again was part of the Bruce team and way of working rather than a long-term approach from the club, lets see how long he lasts in relation to an actual long-term strategy. 

Then we have the advisors, who are said to be instrumental in some of our successful signings years ago but are not listed officially in any capacity at the club and their advice hasn't amounted to much of note recently.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/how-sheffield-wednesdays-transfer-committee-18170717

I've said it before, don't mind saying it again.  SWFC are a seven day a week multimillion pound business, approx £30m income, £45m outgoing and loans and shareholder notes.

SWFC employ around 350 people.  SWFC will deal with numerous income streams from advertising, merchandise, TV rights, sponsor, transfers, tickets, burger sales. 

SWFC will deal with numerous suppliers and outgoings from catering, merchandise, outsourced services, staff costs, transfers, facilities maintenance, landlords,  plant and machinery, investment, training.

Yet one man is in charge of everything from paperclips to transfers to facilities to the academy.  He must get dozens of POs across his desk daily for minor items, what a waste of a genius.

The last CEO we had was less than £200k a year.  I've no doubt a DOF would be in the same region.

Ask yourselves, would £300k a year spent on two people with full time dedicated roles at a director level be an overall improvement or not?

Ask yourselves a second question: does the current model work?

I think most people in business would be aghast at how SWFC are run.

13 minutes ago, Manwë said:

I've said it before, don't mind saying it again.  SWFC are a seven day a week multimillion pound business, approx £30m income, £45m outgoing and loans and shareholder notes.

SWFC employ around 350 people.  SWFC will deal with numerous income streams from advertising, merchandise, TV rights, sponsor, transfers, tickets, burger sales. 

SWFC will deal with numerous suppliers and outgoings from catering, merchandise, outsourced services, staff costs, transfers, facilities maintenance, landlords,  plant and machinery, investment, training.

Yet one man is in charge of everything from paperclips to transfers to facilities to the academy.  He must get dozens of POs across his desk daily for minor items, what a waste of a genius.

The last CEO we had was less than £200k a year.  I've no doubt a DOF would be in the same region.

Ask yourselves, would £300k a year spent on two people with full time dedicated roles at a director level be an overall improvement or not?

CEO is important for the business side, still believe director of football is A glorified head of recruitment role

26 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Is Liam Dooley still at the club, according to his linkedIn profile he is ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marshy said:

He's only saying what we already know. We've all said, oh this manager, oh that manager, but it won't make a blind bit of difference. Until either he goes, or appoints someone to run football matters who can find his arse with both hands nothing changes. We have a control freak imho who hires and fires without taking a look at the cause of the problems.

We have a Chairman who is the 100% owner. Whos money keeps us afloat. Perhaps lacking in a little football knowledge.........but bailing us out and doing his best with decorum.

I guess he's open to offers after all the abuse........but no businessman would currently buy the club off him for the going rate.

With hindsight he could have been advised better......that's obvious.......but he doesn't deserve the disrespect shown to him.....in my humble opinion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

A CEO is responsible for making sure each department of an organisation is functioning properly and are in sync with each other right? 

If that’s in place, PR improves drastically. 

Chansiri is the M. D end of

3 hours ago, Manwë said:

It would be interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes. The Tottenham and Man City behind the scenes is a eye opener. Just shows what we are missing. And how many key roles there is. We have 1 man trying to do it all

• Haha 1