Carlton Palmer on Chansiri and the new manager

13 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Carlton was a great player for us, but I can’t take anything he says seriously. He does talk some shyte. I remember when he called for DC to sign Rhodes at the time. Called him a proper striker and said if you wanna go up pay the money. Worked out well didn’t it. Then earlier this season said the same about Dwight Gayle. He’s not what we need either. Carlton Palmer has no clue.

Certainly wouldn't turn Dwight Gayle down , was brilliant at West Brom

20 minutes ago, gillyno9 said:

Great question! I’m struggling to think of any clubs where this is currently happening. Peterborough maybe with Barry fry?

some clubs have had success with targeted recruitment in the past. Bloke up at Newcastle bought well from the french market. Tony carr?

Leicester have also bought well recently, from french/Dutch/Belgian leagues. Mike Walsh? 

Personally I think a lot of our problems past and present come from poor player recruitment. We don’t seem to have eyes and ears spread far and wide. 

wasn't Brian Marwood DOF or CEO when Man City got taken over by their current owners...he had a great reputation in football...I'd have him here in now.

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, Watto said:

Certainly wouldn't turn Dwight Gayle down , was brilliant at West Brom

We’re loaded with second strikers already. Need someone with physical presence to lead the line, that much is obvious.

49 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I think most clubs in the top two divisions have a CEO. 

Not sure about DOF but I’m sure a good number do. 

D. O. F tend to be in Spain very few in the UK Chansiri does have football advisors so i don't see the difference. 

One thing that needs sorting at the club is it's Communications with the fans,most good businesses have a decent PR department, we don't appear to be in that league. 

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

I wish people would forget this idea of a DOF. It’s never gonna happen, DC has been operating this way for years now. It’s his way or the high way 

The fect that DC won't do it doesn't mean the idea is bad.

Maybe it is his way or the highway, we just need to decide who get's on the highway, maybe it's DC. If something doesn't work there's no sense in keeping doing it, either change or go.

I'd be perfectly happy for DC to stay if he would be prepared to change his mind when things don't work. He's tried different managers with the same results, it's not the managers is it?

2 minutes ago, akbuk said:

D. O. F tend to be in Spain very few in the UK Chansiri does have football advisors so i don't see the difference. 

One thing that needs sorting at the club is it's Communications with the fans,most good businesses have a decent PR department, we don't appear to be in that league. 

Are we in a relegation battle because of the PR department? Seems a bit of a stretch to me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, prowl said:

The fect that DC won't do it doesn't mean the idea is bad.

Maybe it is his way or the highway, we just need to decide who get's on the highway, maybe it's DC. If something doesn't work there's no sense in keeping doing it, either change or go.

I'd be perfectly happy for DC to stay if he would be prepared to change his mind when things don't work. He's tried different managers with the same results, it's not the managers is it?

I think it’s a bit of both. The managers haven’t been good enough (Monk, Jos, Pulis) but DC is also known to interfere when unnecessary. 

The point I’m trying to make though is that DC has probably been told for years now to appoint a CEO/DOF, and he hasn’t done so. 

I don’t like it, but it’s his club. Literally nothing anyone can do apart from accept it and wait for him to eventually leave. 

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Maybe DC likes having advisers to lean on because it means he is still in control and they’re only there if he needs advice. They won’t question how he’s running things because they’re  just an adviser. 

A CEO or DOF might be more willing to challenge him and his running of things and DC won’t like that.

So no matter how much bad advice they have given him, DC will keep them on because it’s his preferred way of running the club. 

Spot on for me.

So until he either goes or swallows his ego, nothing changes.

6 minutes ago, akbuk said:

There is a massive difference. 

Advisers don’t work exclusively for SWFC. A DOF employed for the club works solely for SWFC. 

For example this Alonso bloke who is advising the chairman is an agent with a number of different players and managers. He also works for other clubs across Europe. 

Can you see where a conflict of interests might arise? 

A good place to start for PR would be to employ a CEO to run the day to day things and communicate with fans and actively engage with them. At the moment fans are left in the dark about how the club is being run. All we get is a Chansiri zoom briefing when he is about to sack or hire a manager. And usually that is just DC going on the defensive and not creating a healthy dialogue between the club and fans. It’s harder because his English isn’t perfect. I completely respect DC for speaking a different language to the media - I don’t have the ability to do that so fair play to him it must be difficult. HOWEVER in PR terms it creates a bit of a problem. 

If you want to improve the PR you need to employ a CEO who’s job is to engage with the community and the fans. They need to understand the club and it’s fanbase. At the moment DC is very distant and in my opinion completely out of touch with the fanbase. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He's not wrong, apart from advocating Wilkinson who I'm not sure would want the hassle at his age. 

Problem is, Chansiri fundamentally misunderstands the role of a director of football, despite paying certain advisors to effectively do that job (really badly) without any formal responsibility or oversight.

It's a catch 22, everyone with an ounce of football knowledge can say the same thing over and over again until we are blue in the face... but if  we want Chansiri's money the caveat is that he runs it his own half arsed way. 

Until he sells the club, we won't see that change and we won't progress.

3 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

A Director of football is a waste of a wage IMO.

What do they actually contribute?  

Playing side should be under remit of manager, recruitment be under remit of head of recruitment (guy Bruce brought in)

And what about the academy, the youth teams from aged 4 upwards, the scouting network, dealing with agents and other clubs, the training facilities, the medical facilities?

Who ties it all together to have a consistent and coherent footballing package?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Manwë said:

And what about the academy, the youth teams from aged 4 upwards, the scouting network, dealing with agents and other clubs, the training facilities, the medical facilities?

Doesn't Steve haslam do that role

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Which is why you need a CEO and a director of football to put a proper structure in place.

I know where you are coming from but CEO we had was an advisor suggestion. DoF we had was an advisor selection. The geezer who came from Shaktar Donetsk his agent was Doyen. 

This would just stitch up any manager we had even if not an advisor plant. Bruce brought in recruitment guys and was only one so far not in close liaison with agents.

DC needs independent advice first that is not tied into current crop. 

I also think the characters in background do not help DC as they think of them as suspicious and shady (even if they are not) and it does not help his image or relationship with fans.

A much clearer communication policy would help. At moment a statement required re state of manager recruitment. Something like the following would help;

We have received ??? applications. We have formed a shortlist of ? and DC has interviewed them all. 

Further information is being sought on candidates before DC has 2ndinterview with some of them. .

The Covid problem has delayed the process and Brexit has restricted choice of candidates available to us. However NT's excellent management of team has allowed us extra time to implement the process

1 minute ago, Manwë said:

All those aspects can be managed by the heads of department.

Just think the recruitment side is criticized way too much at moment.

I look at it in two periods pre-bruce and post-bruce.

Pre-bruce I 100% agree it was a mess, no strategy, scatter gun approach.

Post-bruce I think it's been much improved following the appointment of David Downes to manage recruitment and scouting network.  Recruitment has been much smarter.  But has been handicapped by the mistakes made "pre Bruce" which have meant we are shopping in cheaper end of market due to FFP restrictions.

We had a CEO who should have been on top of the whole ground sale issue and made a mess of it.

There is no "one size fits all structure" in EFL many a club have done well with directors of football and many have done badly under the structure.

I personally think it's more appropriate at premier League level as a full time job.

• Haha 1