Carlton Palmer on Chansiri and the new manager

8 minutes ago, Quist said:

I know where you are coming from but CEO we had was an advisor suggestion. DoF we had was an advisor selection. The geezer who came from Shaktar Donetsk his agent was Doyen. 

This would just stitch up any manager we had even if not an advisor plant. Bruce brought in recruitment guys and was only one so far not in close liaison with agents.

DC needs independent advice first that is not tied into current crop. 

I also think the characters in background do not help DC as they think of them as suspicious and shady (even if they are not) and it does not help his image or relationship with fans.

A much clearer communication policy would help. At moment a statement required re state of manager recruitment. Something like the following would help;

We have received ??? applications. We have formed a shortlist of ? and DC has interviewed them all. 

Further information is being sought on candidates before DC has 2ndinterview with some of them. .

The Covid problem has delayed the process and Brexit has restricted choice of candidates available to us. However NT's excellent management of team has allowed us extra time to implement the process

Or maybe he just doesn’t want to communicate with fans? He’s always having pops at fans in these briefings he’s doing. He communicated a lot in his first couple of seasons. 

42 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

There is a massive difference. 

Advisers don’t work exclusively for SWFC. A DOF employed for the club works solely for SWFC. 

For example this Alonso bloke who is advising the chairman is an agent with a number of different players and managers. He also works for other clubs across Europe. 

Can you see where a conflict of interests might arise? 

A good place to start for PR would be to employ a CEO to run the day to day things and communicate with fans and actively engage with them. At the moment fans are left in the dark about how the club is being run. All we get is a Chansiri zoom briefing when he is about to sack or hire a manager. And usually that is just DC going on the defensive and not creating a healthy dialogue between the club and fans. It’s harder because his English isn’t perfect. I completely respect DC for speaking a different language to the media - I don’t have the ability to do that so fair play to him it must be difficult. HOWEVER in PR terms it creates a bit of a problem. 

If you want to improve the PR you need to employ a CEO who’s job is to engage with the community and the fans. They need to understand the club and it’s fanbase. At the moment DC is very distant and in my opinion completely out of touch with the fanbase. 

We have a C. E. O his name is Chansiri and he has advisors, we don’t have a PR department and we certainly need one. 

55 minutes ago, prowl said:

Are we in a relegation battle because of the PR department? Seems a bit of a stretch to me.

Nothing to do with it, there is an absolute lack of proper communication. 

We are in a relegation battle because of points deduction and poor results. 

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Or maybe he just doesn’t want to communicate with fans? He’s always having pops at fans in these briefings he’s doing. He communicated a lot in his first couple of seasons. 

Rather proves my point a professional PR department wouldn't allow him to get into those kinds of a mess 

Guest Mcguigan
2 hours ago, vulva said:

With respect, Wilkinson is 78 this year. And DC isn’t going to do anything of the sort. And if he did, they’d be gone quicker than Adam Pearson. 

Be an interesting sit down with Pearson to find out his impressions of DC.

I mean it's some going to lose your one of advisors to Massimo Cellino.

3 minutes ago, akbuk said:

Rather proves my point a professional PR department wouldn't allow him to get into those kinds of a mess 

PR is an issue because we don’t have a CEO! We have a communications team who do a decent job on social media. They are there on hand to communicate with fans if the chairman lets them. They could help communicate the clubs philosophy, strategy moving forward, update on recruitment and managerial appointments, be a bit more transparent about how the club is ran behind the scenes. But we rarely ever get anything like that. 

I must add I think our social media Comms has improved hugely. We do some great stuff. And we do some fantastic work in the community over Christmas etc. But personally I always feel a bit left in the dark about the direction the club is heading. And I know other fans do to. A CEO would bridge that gap between owner and fanbase. It’s such an important role. And we don’t have one.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

A CEO would bridge that gap between owner and fanbase. It’s such an important role. And we don’t have one.

That is not really a CEO's role.

A CEO's role is basically making corporate decisions and managing overall operations and resources of a company.

Also acting as a go between the owner and directors (we don't have many of those).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, akbuk said:

Nothing to do with it, there is an absolute lack of proper communication. 

We are in a relegation battle because of points deduction and poor results. 

Don't you think the relegation battle is a bigger issue?

I accept the poor communication is an issue but it did improve under Monk. I'm not sure it will continue, revert to rubbish or gets even better. We will wait and see

3 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

That is not really a CEO's role.

A CEO's role is basically making corporate decisions and managing overall operations and resources of a company.

Also acting as a go between the owner and directors (we don't have many of those).

And also being public facing? 

That’s my point. There’s a lack of accountability at the top of the club. 

10 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

PR is an issue because we don’t have a CEO! We have a communications team who do a decent job on social media. They are there on hand to communicate with fans if the chairman lets them. They could help communicate the clubs philosophy, strategy moving forward, update on recruitment and managerial appointments, be a bit more transparent about how the club is ran behind the scenes. But we rarely ever get anything like that. 

I must add I think our social media Comms has improved hugely. We do some great stuff. And we do some fantastic work in the community over Christmas etc. But personally I always feel a bit left in the dark about the direction the club is heading. And I know other fans do to. A CEO would bridge that gap between owner and fanbase. It’s such an important role. And we don’t have one.

C. E. O 'S are not a PR department a totally different job

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, akbuk said:

C. E. O 'S are not a PR department a totally different job

A CEO is responsible for making sure each department of an organisation is functioning properly and are in sync with each other right? 

If that’s in place, PR improves drastically. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon

1 minute ago, Hookowl said:

Only as far as corporate is concerned, otherwise it's the PR or communications department.

The vast majority of clubs in this league have a CEO. Every club in the Premier League has CEO.

Chansiri says he has a team of CEO’s, but in my opinion this creates problems. That creates divided responsibility, it’s not a well known or common business model. A CEO is such an important role, if it wasn’t football clubs simply wouldn’t have them. But all successful well run clubs do! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The vast majority of clubs in this league have a CEO. Every club in the Premier League has CEO.

Chansiri says he has a team of CEO’s, but in my opinion this creates problems. That creates divided responsibility, it’s not a well known or common business model. A CEO is such an important role, if it wasn’t football clubs simply wouldn’t have them. But all successful well run clubs do! 

Sal I wasn't debating whether we should have a CEO or not, just saying that a CEO's role is not a go between the club and the fans.

1 hour ago, daveyboy66 said:

wasn't Brian Marwood DOF or CEO when Man City got taken over by their current owners...he had a great reputation in football...I'd have him here in now.

Good look with that, Marwood still has a key role in the City Football Group.

https://www.cityfootballgroup.com/our-business/leadership-team/

Edited by Guest