Pubs and Clubs of the 1990/91 season..

West Street, Limit before it closed, Occasions and CJ's. Outstanding time period, once went to see a Freddy Kruger movie all tripped out, front row in 3D, then straight down to Occasions dodging all the shadows as I thought Freddy was following me!

Town was always tricky at the weekends back then and you had to have your eyes peeled all the time.

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Animis said:

Henry's was a big bar at the time although, like Belins/Harrahans etc, you needed trousers more than not, unless you owned a shop.

Mick on door was alright and let us in before 8 so we melted into the background in our jeans. He could get you anything as well - stuff nicked in bankrupt clothing could be passed on through Henry's within 30 mins - allegedly…

Remember Dickins - you could get in without trou, but it invariably kicked off with BBC/OCS. Was in there once with two CID barricaded in the corner - tables and glasses thrown through the air - like some western bar room brawl.

Can remember it kicking off one evening in Henrys  A few of the lads didn’t take too kindly to Vinnie Jones gobbing off. He was with Brian Deane a couple of others, who to be fair, didn’t want any trouble, but trouble they got. Tables and chairs rained down on them, as they beat a hasty retreat

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Can remember it kicking off one evening in Henrys  A few of the lads didn’t take too kindly to Vinnie Jones gobbing off. He was with Brian Deane a couple of others, who to be fair, didn’t want any trouble, but trouble they got. Tables and chairs rained down on them, as they beat a hasty retreat

Hope he ended up in the fountain - Dave Richards style.

35 minutes ago, Animis said:

Henry's was a big bar at the time although, like Belins/Harrahans etc, you needed trousers more than not, unless you owned a shop.

Mick on door was alright and let us in before 8 so we melted into the background in our jeans. He could get you anything as well - stuff nicked in bankrupt clothing could be passed on through Henry's within 30 mins - allegedly…

Remember Dickins - you could get in without trou, but it invariably kicked off with BBC/OCS. Was in there once with two CID barricaded in the corner - tables and glasses thrown through the air - like some western bar room brawl.

Aye...Been in Dickens many a time always seemed to kick off in there. Metro underneath was a right sweat shop with the low ceilings.

26 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Mate disappeared one Friday night when we were drinking in there. Next thing I know it’s all kicking off outside. Mate had decided on his way back from the cash point to take a short cut over the top of some poor bloke’s XR3i convertible and fell through the roof. He was stuck waist-deep in stretched fabric trying to mill blokes off him. Just left him to it! 

• Haha 4

Brilliant memories. Was once in The Yorkshire Grey in the early nineties and a lad I worked with also had an evening bar job in there. It was his last night working as he was flying off to Central America  backpacking the following morning. Me and the lads are in there buying rounds of Moosehead lager and only Keith is serving us. Every time we bought a round we gave Keith a tenner and he gave us a twenty for our change. Suffice to say we ended up rather drunk and with a spare 100 quid to burn. Keith made some excuse to knock off shift around 1030 and on his way out suggested that we drink up and vacate the premises before they cashed up and noticed the missing cash. If only every night out was as cash positive.

• Haha 1

Was in Dickens one night when we came back from Derby. Pigs were at home. They’d agreed to meet up for chicken and chips in a basket from memory. 

Made the front page of the Star. The fight, not me in Dickens. 

10 minutes ago, Animis said:

Stonehouse was always too big for me - a bit soulless. Went down to the Golden Ball, Wig and Pen and down to Dove & Rainbow to read the Green 'n' on the walls.

Hen & Chickens served nice Tetleys if you liked beer.

Stonehouse was one for the tourists. Didn’t the bit at the back have a different name?

14 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Stonehouse was one for the tourists. Didn’t the bit at the back have a different name?

faux Court yard with stars on the ceilings - quite impressive really - I think they thought they were creating a sort of cheap Munich beer festival feel.

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Was in Dickens one night when we came back from Derby. Pigs were at home. They’d agreed to meet up for chicken and chips in a basket from memory. 

Was that 89 pal? If so that was some day out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Was that the Derby game where there was a bit of trouble before the game and then that thing with the police after the game?

3 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

Was that the Derby game where there was a bit of trouble before the game and then that thing with the police after the game?

Not sure. It was the one where loads turned out early doors. We were met on the overhead walkway by a copper stood on an orange box and advised to follow him and behave or turn round and F off on the next train back to Sheffield. It’s was only 930am as well. Not much of a welcome. 

• Haha 1

Once went in Henry's with the ex wife and whose sat at the bar eyeing her up as we walked in , only gazza with his waddle and Gordon Watson , gazza was on crutches at the time an all after he'd done his cruciate.

You'd see players in town regularly in the 90s  

4 minutes ago, Watto said:

Once went in Henry's with the ex wife and whose sat at the bar eyeing her up as we walked in , only gazza with his waddle and Gordon Watson , gazza was on crutches at the time an all after he'd done his cruciate.

You'd see players in town regularly in the 90s  

The terrible trio, serious pissheads back then Not saying that was the reason they were eyeing up your missus mind

23 hours ago, Animis said:

Limit ended - sad times;

Occasions sort of ended by end of 91 

If you weren't a townie, who didn't want to wear trouser up town, there were limited opportunities to go boozing and out-out around these times. If you did wear trousers Josies or Cairo Jacks was the usual haunts - bit bland for me.

You tended to gravitate towards the West Street pubs, or Yorkshire Grey/Red Lion types. The issue in these times was that there was a lot of football related violence, which centered around these pubs and the doormen were very strict. You tended to drink in your own area, then get a bus/train/taxi into town to go to the clubs.

Eccy Road was very student with little choice.

Kin trouser....remember getting turned away from some where once for a lad in the group having zips on his trousers......what was that all about FFS?