Pubs and Clubs of the 1990/91 season..

1990/91 was too early for me from 1995 I was going down town, used to have different nights for different clubs but 50p a drink in Roxy was always messy. Leadmill, Republic on a Thursday/Friday then Saturdays was where ever, Cario Jacks or what ever it was called call and the 70's/60's Reflex night in the city hall basement we had a good group and a good laugh back then.

Bars you used to go for West Street or the Stonehouse, Bankers, Frog and Parrott, Bar Coast and Bar Centro, Nag Head, later on in years what was the old Monk, Yorkshire Grey, the one next to it at the time was the Emporium.

Berlins was one of the first bars in the country that filled its fridges from the back so when you got past 10pm in most places bottles were warm, in Berlin the bottles where still cold and often the had offers on and were fairly cheap. I love the nightlife back then and no one had their head stuck to a mobile like seems to be the case nower days.

But it must be a getting older thing I used to organise a night out of 5 or 10 people in a few hours in my early 20's, now in my 40's I have to plan 3 months ahead with everyone. lol 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Guest The Claw
1 minute ago, room0035 said:

1990/91 was too early for me from 1995 I was going down town, used to have different nights for different clubs but 50p a drink in Roxy was always messy. Leadmill, Republic on a Thursday/Friday then Saturdays was where ever, Cario Jacks or what ever it was called call and the 70's/60's Reflex night in the city hall basement we had a good group and a good laugh back then.

Bars you used to go for West Street or the Stonehouse, Bankers, Frog and Parrott, Bar Coast and Bar Centro, Nag Head, later on in years what was the old Monk, Yorkshire Grey, the one next to it at the time was the Emporium.

Berlins was one of the first bars in the country that filled its fridges from the back so when you got past 10pm in most places bottles were warm, in Berlin the bottles where still cold and often the had offers on and were fairly cheap. I love the nightlife back then and no one had their head stuck to a mobile like seems to be the case nower days.

But it must be a getting older thing I used to organise a night out of 5 or 10 people in a few hours in my early 20's, now in my 40's I have to plan 3 months ahead with everyone. lol 

spin the wheel

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Not sure of the timescale back then, but for several years I ran Occasions, which was known as a Wednesday club. Although it probably was a Wednesday club, due to a slightly biased door policy😏it did have a credible music policy. Most of the nights at Occasions evolved from a previous project, the Jive Turkey, which was a monthly House, Soul and Jazz night, held in the splendour of Sheffield City Hall. Further projects where we worked with collaborators at the Leadmill and Gatecrasher followed, before the scene fizzled out in the early 90s. Although all of us who were involved in organising those nights, were Wednesday fans from the old Limit days, Sheffield clubs back then, were a melting pot. 
Having worked in Manchester, Nottingham and London, I think Sheffield was fairly unique in that respect. There was a sort of pioneering  spirit in Sheffield back then, which started in the 80s, and lasted for a decade or more. It’s strange how most of the people driving that scene, and indeed the bands that followed, pretty much all had Wednesday allegiances Good times

Is that you John?

Miss the Jive Turkey days, which were really peaked around 88.

Occasions was brilliant - Parrot & Winston were very good. Use to be packed Saturday night - Red Stripe and gear-days through the haze...

5 minutes ago, Animis said:

Is that you John?

Miss the Jive Turkey days, which were really peaked around 88.

Occasions was brilliant - Parrot & Winston were very good. Use to be packed Saturday night - Red Stripe and gear-days through the haze...

T’is sir, yeah happy days indeed

Leadmill was the place to go for studenty types like me at the time. I wore nothing but black back then with the only bit of colour being the yellow stitching on my DrMartins!

I must have looked a right tool! 
Cairo’s was somewhere I went to once on some kind of college night. Got into a massive fight and the bouncers gave everyone a good slap on the way out (even the girls)! Horrible experience.

The main course of events was to start at The West End and then just kind of work your way down west street from there until, you ran out of money. Then the night bus home trying not to make eye contact with any townies to avoid having to fight your way off the bus! 
The Leadmill student night was our weekly staple (might have been a Thursday) and Whenever they had a decent band on. ‘Cud’ would have been considered a good band for me at that time!

My sisters would frequent the more towny areas and would see the footballers out, particularly mr Hirst!

Wow some really great memories for me here. I had forgotten what the Club with Two Brains was called. I remember Occasions though, probably the most in tune with my musical tastes at the time when I wasn't in the Limit.

Honourable mention to Charlie Parkers and Sinatras though as being a couple of smaller friendlier places to get down after 11. You used to have to really really like Luther Vandros though!

Pubs were generally terrible at that time but I do remember my uncle as a bus driver enabling massive amounts of 50p Lamot Pils through the bus ticket scheme in Berlins.

Has anybody mentioned Gossips and Joes Chilli? Couldn't move a muscle in there after 11pm

Henry's was a big bar at the time although, like Belins/Harrahans etc, you needed trousers more than not, unless you owned a shop.

Mick on door was alright and let us in before 8 so we melted into the background in our jeans. He could get you anything as well - stuff nicked in bankrupt clothing could be passed on through Henry's within 30 mins - allegedly…

Remember Dickins - you could get in without trou, but it invariably kicked off with BBC/OCS. Was in there once with two CID barricaded in the corner - tables and glasses thrown through the air - like some western bar room brawl.