Pulis. I was wrong.

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

At least Derby have a rich sheik coming into buy them very soon. 

I wish that was us

lol

Money doesn’t necessarily bring success, as we’ve unfortunately found out these last few years.

This new chap at Derby might be a Chansiri Mk 2 

I’m not a fan of Pulis’ style of play but sometimes you need someone who could get the job done of keeping us up first and foremost then put foundations in place to push us forward. In this regard and with his undoubted pedigree and experience I thought Pulis was the right man as I did Bruce.

I felt when Bruce was here, the Chairman was quite happy to let him have a free reign. After all he was allowed to bring in quite a lot of his own staff straight away. Agnew, Clemence, Strudwick, Downes and Hughes. Despite the turnover of staff during the Monk and Pulis reigns, the latter 3 Bruce appointments remain which suggests the Chairman still sees value in them?

But the fact remains we have had 2 proven managers at this level and they for one reason or another have left as quickly as they have arrived.

There are 2 likely scenarios that could play out in the near future.

1) Thompson does a similar sort of job to Stuart Gray. Keeps us up and starts to move us forward. The football was turgid but Gray was the first manager to re-establish us at this level. Thompson like Gray is a coach. Perhaps this group of players need to be coached rather than managed? They need positivity and encouragement rather than the total opposite that they’ve arguably had from their last two managers? This move if successful would see Chansiri come full circle then he would have a decision to make going forward.

2) He goes for a foreign coach/manager with fresh ideas who would be more suited and more amenable to the way DC runs the club. Hoping that he gets the same sort of response and relationship that he enjoyed with Carlos? To make this work all round and for the fans to get on board, the new man could do with Carlos’ charm and effervescence.

I think DC will go for scenario 2 but I don’t have a problem with either scenario. Whatever way we go I see Shaw,  Hunt, Waldock etc. as big players for us going forward?

2 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Seemed like the right fit at the right time. And all those on here that really didn't want Pulis because of his football. Even the majority of them could see the benefits in bringing him in at the time we did.  It didn't work out like that and fair play to Chansiri for making the change as quick as he did after realising it wasn't working.

I was under no such illusions How can any club at this level, employ a manager like Tony Pulis nowadays? His outdated methods now don’t even get results, which used to be the only justification for employing him. One of the worst managerial appointments we’ve ever made, in my opinion anyway

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jim said:

I’m not a fan of Pulis’ style of play but sometimes you need someone who could get the job done of keeping us up first and foremost then put foundations in place to push us forward. In this regard and with his undoubted pedigree and experience I thought Pulis was the right man as I did Bruce.

I felt when Bruce was here, the Chairman was quite happy to let him have a free reign. After all he was allowed to bring in quite a lot of his own staff straight away. Agnew, Clemence, Strudwick, Downes and Hughes. Despite the turnover of staff during the Monk and Pulis reigns, the latter 3 Bruce appointments remain which suggests the Chairman still sees value in them?

But the fact remains we have had 2 proven managers at this level and they for one reason or another have left as quickly as they have arrived.

There are 2 likely scenarios that could play out in the near future.

1) Thompson does a similar sort of job to Stuart Gray. Keeps us up and starts to move us forward. The football was turgid but Gray was the first manager to re-establish us at this level. Thompson like Gray is a coach. Perhaps this group of players need to be coached rather than managed? They need positivity and encouragement rather than the total opposite that they’ve arguably had from their last two managers? This move if successful would see Chansiri come full circle then he would have a decision to make going forward.

2) He goes for a foreign coach/manager with fresh ideas who would be more suited and more amenable to the way DC runs the club. Hoping that he gets the same sort of response and relationship that he enjoyed with Carlos? To make this work all round and for the fans to get on board, the new man could do with Carlos’ charm and effervescence.

I think DC will go for scenario 2 but I don’t have a problem with either scenario. Whatever way we go I see Shaw,  Hunt, Waldock etc. as big players for us going forward?

Flaw in your analysis Jim is that these players are a spent force.I dont myself see BB,Reach,or TL signing another contract,Odubajo & VA need to go too,simply not good enough in my view,so unlikely to be offered another contract...bound to effect the team in one way or another...

14 minutes ago, parajack said:

Flaw in your analysis Jim is that these players are a spent force.I dont myself see BB,Reach,or TL signing another contract,Odubajo & VA need to go too,simply not good enough in my view,so unlikely to be offered another contract...bound to effect the team in one way or another...

Not arguing with you Jack. The short term aim is simple, stay up.

Tuesday night showed we can perform and get results. Consistency is our problem and when you have a lack of quality available, this will always be a problem.

We’re coming up to the halfway point of the season and defensively we’re on a par with the Carlos’ successful seasons despite being in the bottom three all season.

We have the players to stay up IMO but we need to strengthen this month particularly in attacking areas if possible?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jim said:

Not arguing with you Jack. The short term aim is simple, stay up.

Tuesday night showed we can perform and get results. Consistency is our problem and when you have a lack of quality available, this will always be a problem.

We’re coming up to the halfway point of the season and defensively we’re on a par with the Carlos’ successful seasons despite being in the bottom three all season.

We have the players to stay up IMO but we need to strengthen this month particularly in attacking areas if possible?

I see too many inconsistencies with the squad Jim,WW for all his critics(me included) has been a steadying force....WS in goal makes me feel nervous,as does VA & Odubajo when they are playing ....TL too looks nervous at times....always feel like we are going to leak a goal,than find it impossible to get two back...this will have to change if we are to stay up

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, parajack said:

I see too many inconsistencies with the squad Jim,WW for all his critics(me included) has been a steadying force....WS in goal makes me feel nervous,as does VA & Odubajo when they are playing ....TL too looks nervous at times....always feel like we are going to leak a goal,than find it impossible to get two back...this will have to change if we are to stay up

That’s why managing Westwood’s fitness is crucial.

I agree about Van Aken and Odubajo. We need a new left-back in January. Slightly surprised he hasn’t selected Penney but he obviously didn’t want 50% of the back four to be inexperienced particularly with Wildsmith in goal.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You've fallen hook line and sinker for the 'being rested' line havent you JIm

You’re going to tell me if Wildsmith or Dawson plays the rest of this season, our chances are better of staying up than managing Westwood’s fitness correctly?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Adam Pearson, Glenn Roeder, Paul Senior, Joe Palmer, Jonathan Hill, Katrien Meire. All vast experience in football, were all here for approx 5 minutes. Add Bruce to that too. 

How many more have to want out before we start questioning the common denominator? 

Correct me if I'm wrong but none of them were our manager.

2 hours ago, Plonk said:

I will say it again Carlos and Bruce got a tune out of them didn’t fall out with and isolate players. Jo’s and monk didn’t and did. Records suggest Carlos and Bruce are half decent managers. Records suggest the other two aren’t. But this is no longer the same squad is it. It’s not even close. 

Carlos?? How many years are you going back?? & with totally different circumstances? if Carlos was so good,why was he sacked? & Bruce  ? 12th were we?   How is he doing at Newcastle by the way??? & where are his old club Hull?..

This current crop of players have brought us nothing....such are peoples expectations that 'a day out at Wembley' is seen as an achievement

In my eyes its just another failure

1 minute ago, Brommers said:

In your earlier post that I initially responded to.

I said this:

‘The fact remains, as I’ve previously pointed out, Tony Pulis is not the first experienced football man to want out of Sheffield Wednesday under Chansiri’s ownership.’

No reference to manager. Apologies to Katrien Meire who is indeed a woman

lol

23 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Eh?

Bruce?

Read the full thread. I responded to a post stating we'd had several managers wanting out because of DC prior to Pulis. I responded there was only Bruce and his reasons were the lure of Newcastle. Sally's reply listed loads of non-managerial staff, hence my post.

I'll expect your apology forthwith. 

• Like 1

Just now, Brommers said:

Read the full thread. I responded to a post stating we'd had several managers wanting out because of DC prior to Pulis. I responded there was only Bruce and his reasons were the lure of Newcastle. Sally's reply listed loads of non-managerial staff, hence my post.

I'll expect your apology forthwith. 

I apologise mate

I have a tendency to post without actually knowing what I'm on about

Owlstalk Shop