Bannan

I hope Bannan moves in January.

I don't deny that he's been a great servant and you really can't argue with his stats.

However, psychologically I think he really affects how the team plays and has done for about 2 years now. Everything has to go through him and I sometimes think that is to our detriment. 

The other night, the amount of times Shaw and Pelupessy would pass to him when there were other options available was frightening. I think opposition teams have also clocked this. Keep Bannan quiet and Wednesday have nothing else.

I remember a game where Bannan was suspended and we had that Onomah on loan. Onomah came out of his shell and had a really good game but then Bannan was immediately brought back in the game after and we reverted to type.

A wonderful servant but for me it's time to try something different and possibly save some wages.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Yeah but he’s the reason we are dire.

Its not Paterson, or Brown, or Shaw, or Hunt. It’s clearly Bannan.

I think it's more the reason that those others either feel or have been told that they have to play to Bannan all the time.

Opposition teams have sussed it and they stifle him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

I think it's more the reason that those others either feel or have been told that they have to play to Bannan all the time.

Opposition teams have sussed it and they stifle him.

But those stats show he’s extremely good at not getting stifled.

• Like 1

He's got a good passing range and neat n tidy on the ball. 

A bit of vision and creativity. 

Defensively he's not good enough. 

Offensively he's not enough of a goal threat. 

Let's not kid ourselves here. 

No one of his other clubs played him as a central midfield lynchpin. He's not a good enough all round cm. 

Yes we're heading down so wherever he ends up he'll be at a higher level, but I bet the que just like wonder boys hutch and Westwood isnt as long as some on here think. 

He'll end up playing wide midfield for a playoff hopefull next season. Is it just coincidence that our slide in Carlos 3rd season coincided with bazza being moved permanently to cm. As the first 2 our preferred choice had been Lee & hutch with bazza out wide? 

• Like 2

Just now, shezzas left peg said:

He's got a good passing range and neat n tidy on the ball. 

A bit of vision and creativity. 

Defensively he's not good enough. 

Offensively he's not enough of a goal threat. 

Let's not kid ourselves here. 

No one of his other clubs played him as a central midfield lynchpin. He's not a good enough all round cm. 

Yes we're heading down so wherever he ends up he'll be at a higher level, but I bet the que just like wonder boys hutch and Westwood isnt as long as some on here think. 

He'll end up playing wide midfield for a playoff hopefull next season. Is it just coincidence that our slide in Carlos 3rd season coincided with bazza being moved permanently to cm. As the first 2 our preferred choice had been Lee & hutch with bazza out wide? 

How do you explain the facts/stats then that he creates more chances than Jack Grealish?

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

How do you explain the facts/stats then that he creates more chances than Jack Grealish?

Stats don't always tell the whole tale. 

Yes he's still our most creative player. But is it no supris with what's around him. For me though how many goals do we also concede becouse we don't have a proper solid midfield platform when he's in the centre. 

For me he's a creative wide midfielder I have no doubts or complaint about his ability wide left. Just about his all round contribution through the middle. 

• Like 1

To be fair, stats can paint all sorts of pictures.

If chance creation means he's played a pass to someone in the box, if that pass is in the corner of the eighteen yard box then i'd argue it's not much of a chance.

I can't remember many games this season where i've been thinking, Bannan has played a blinder to day in creating chances and the other players have had a nightmare ion not converting them. 

He'd be top of the charts as well if he could kick it hard enough to clear the 1st man on his corners.

• Like 1

Just now, tomhollywood said:

To be fair, stats can paint all sorts of pictures.

If chance creation means he's played a pass to someone in the box, if that pass is in the corner of the eighteen yard box then i'd argue it's not much of a chance.

I can't remember many games this season where i've been thinking, Bannan has played a blinder to day in creating chances and the other players have had a nightmare ion not converting them. 

He'd be top of the charts as well if he could kick it hard enough to clear the 1st man on his corners.

So now the stats are all lying because it doesn't fit the agenda/vendetta against our most effective player?

Owlstalk Shop

Bannan is the best and worst part of our team.  He is by every measure the best player in our squad by a mile.  But because of this he is also the focal point of every piece of play.  If he doesn't make something happen, then nothing happens.  Now you could argue that this is as much the manager's fault for making it a clear tactic but at the same time it gives the other players an easy out in that all they have to do is give it to him and then sit and wait for him to make something happen.

It's sad really because he's a wonderful player.  We just need a few others around him that can actually class themselves as footballers and not just better than average park hackers!

• Like 1

Just not bothered...

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

So now the stats are all lying because it doesn't fit the agenda/vendetta against our most effective player?

No agenda or vendetta from me against him.

I've been very complimentary about him in my earlier post.

I just think he hampers our play currently and it's time for a change.

I also think stats are something that can be shaped to suit either side of a point of view.

• Like 2

A talented player no doubt, he's been fantastic in previous seasons but I wish he had been moved on when Brentford came in for him earlier this season.

We always look for him to make something happen but he often plays too deep and he's not played to the best of his ability at all this season.

It's time for a change.

1 hour ago, tomhollywood said:

No agenda or vendetta from me against him.

I've been very complimentary about him in my earlier post.

I just think he hampers our play currently and it's time for a change.

I also think stats are something that can be shaped to suit either side of a point of view.

What other side of the view is there to bannan creating hundreds of chances for the strikers?

lol

Owlstalk Shop