Bannan

No great mystery, he is a bit older, no longer at his peak plus he does not have the luxury of quality players around him. All our players are struggling to to play well in this team.

If we can get something for him in January we should take it and start a rebuild.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, morganowl said:

every game this season bannan has had between 0-5% for man of match , that tells a story. ive banged on about him loads , without doubt the most over rated player in history , most of our other halfs have got a better shot than bannan ,his crossing is terrible , often gives the ball away and he aint exactly a unit . 

You don’t think that of our 3 CMs he is the most important?

Our most recent 6 goals:-

Barnsley - Bannan ball over the top to Windass

Norwich - Bannan ball to Reach for the cross

Reading - not involved

Swansea - Bannan corner for Reach’s shot

Bournmouth - Bannan 60 yarder over the top to Windass for pen.

Birmingham - Bannan cross for Paterson pen.

He’s not at his best, but he is light years better than Brown, Hunt, Shaw and Paterson.

You could just about make a case these days that Luongo is a better CM than Bannan, but he only plays half the game time Bannan does.

The guy is a marvel compared to the other options.

He is the least of our midfield issues.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Reading - not involved

He’s not at his best, but he is light years better than Brown, Hunt, Shaw and Paterson.

You could just about make a case these days that Luongo is a better CM than Bannan, but he only plays half the game time Bannan does.

he cant play in a centre mid 2 thats the problem

Just now, Holmowl said:

I disagree, but that doesn’t matter.

352 overcomes that, it allows us the two up top we desperately need, and overcomes our lack of a LB.

I too would go 3-5-2.

I really don't like it too much to be honest, but I fear it's the only way to get something resembling a tune out of this lopsided squad.

The dwarf Bannan has to play in a 3 if he's to play central. 

We have to get two up top. The support has been laughable the way we've gone about it.

I'd start with Windass and Rhodes. 

Harris perhaps from the bench in the latter stage to stretch it.

Though I wouldn't be beyond sticking one of the kids in there to have a look at in preparation for next season. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Reading - not involved

completely understand this viewpoint however the last line i think he is the issue or part of the issue.

Times last night we could have gone forward and he chose to do his pivot and play to the centre backs or full backs.

He can unlock so much for us but he doesn't opt for it and he also kills us at times slowing the game down too much allowing the other teams to set up in their defensive shape.

Last night i think Ameobi was down injured the referee waved play on and we looked to attack, Bannan got on the ball and played it to our centre back?

Maybe it's down to his centre mid partnerships, he's just becoming slightly ineffective in what we know he can do and he's one of the players you look at to pull you through and have a impact on the game, he's not doing that at the moment.

• Like 1

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

I too would go 3-5-2.

I really don't like it too much to be honest, but I fear it's the only way to get something resembling a tune out of this lopsided squad.

The dwarf Bannan has to play in a 3 if he's to play central. 

We have to get two up top. The support has been laughable the way we've gone about it.

I'd start with Windass and Rhodes. 

Harris perhaps from the bench in the latter stage to stretch it.

Though I wouldn't be beyond sticking one of the kids in there to have a look at in preparation for next season. 

Totally agree.

We don’t have a left-back. We don’t have a lone-striker, we don’t have the players to play 2 in the centre.

352 fixes it.

14 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Noticed he doesn’t shout at his team mates anymore. No passion from him which you could always say he had. I think he’s off in January.  No way will be sign another contract here. Think he’s as fed up as us. 

think he has had a very poor season so far, as far as his standards are concerned.

Give the ball away far to easily.

Just now, adelphi1867 said:

think he has had a very poor season so far, as far as his standards are concerned.

Give the ball away far to easily.

Honestly dont think he's bothered .  You've seen it before where a team mate plays the wrong pass... or it doesnt get to a team mate, Bannan is there to give them an ear bashing.... trying to rally the team,.  Saw none of that last night.   He's just going through the motions.

1 minute ago, Vaughan said:

Honestly dont think he's bothered .  You've seen it before where a team mate plays the wrong pass... or it doesnt get to a team mate, Bannan is there to give them an ear bashing.... trying to rally the team,.  Saw none of that last night.   He's just going through the motions.

Not just last night though, he has not been on his game for a long time.

He needs a fresh challenge.

9 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I disagree, but that doesn’t matter.

352 overcomes that, it allows us the two up top we desperately need, and overcomes our lack of a LB.

i aint even figured out our system . 3511 ? i hate 352 and it can only be played if you have centre halves good with the ball lees lol and you need pacey wingbacks, murphy did that very well last season . 442 or some version of it where we have 2 players marking crosses and 2 providing width going forward a player in middle like hutchinson in front of 2 centre backs and you can play a number 10 in a free role behind a target man . a simple system what dont cost millions instead of that u know what system what we have now. 

4 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

only ear bashing lately is to ref and linesman 

Echo a few other comments on here.  He isn't playing anywhere near his best but should still play. However, I'd telling him and the team that everything doesn't need to go through him.

One thing that struck me the last few games was the total lack of risk taking runs off the ball (Shaw checked himself 2 or 3 times from getting near the edge of the box) or just simple movement off the ball (especially from f'ing throw ins, we are turning them into a disadvantage). We aren't giving our players options when on the ball, which doesn't help any player, especially Bannan. Pass and move, FFS. May stem from the players not trusting the man on the ball to deliver, so they don't go.  We are so easy to defend against.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, G-Reg said:

Echo a few other comments on here.  He isn't playing anywhere near his best but should still play. However, I'd telling him and the team that everything doesn't need to go through him.

One thing that struck me the last few games was the total lack of risk taking runs off the ball (Shaw checked himself 2 or 3 times from getting near the edge of the box) or just simple movement off the ball (especially from f'ing throw ins, we are turning them into a disadvantage). We aren't giving our players options when on the ball, which doesn't help any player, especially Bannan. Pass and move, FFS. May stem from the players not trusting the man on the ball to deliver, so they don't go.  We are so easy to defend against.

Yes we all heard Pulis screaming at the players to go forward and take their man on last night.

• Like 1

Firstly...I don't think we have a suitable alternative to Baz...he's is and has been a great servant.

Secondly...our midfield is a bigger problem than our defence but equal to the problem we have in attack.

You cannot win a game of football by defending for 80+ mins (you can but we can't)

We have the players for a 3-5-2 format but we don't have the intelligence in the squad to make it work. We are more solid with 4-4-2 but we don't have the discipline to make it work. We revert to 4-5-1 because we are scared to make a mistake or try something positive. Against Forest we managed just 5 shots (1 on target) in 90 minutes of football...an hour and a half of 11 professional sportsmen not able to move forward 70m with a football.

Baz is wasteful, eccentric, obtuse, disorganised, sloppy and ineffective. If he had better players around him then he'd be less so. I'm not blaming him for our defeats...he's just well past his best and is bypassed for most of the game. I hope he moves on in January...but I doubt there will be many knocking our door down.