Bielsa - is he all that?

Brommers

Guest T Hardy

Phenomenal manager. That was obvious before he came to Leeds. Since he arrived at Leeds I’m sure I read they only spent 1 weekend outside of the top 4 in the Championship, now his squad of mostly Championship players are taking the best teams on in the Premier League.  

They’ve spent a lot of money and a hell of a lot of it on Bielsa and his staff and it’s proven to be worth it, I only wish we were bold enough to make an appointment like this. 

Yeah, struggling with the premise of the thread to be honest.

Leeds weren't constantly knocking on the promotion door prior to his arrival, but he's got them to a play-off campaign, automatic promotion and then 9th in the Prem while there. They play good football and have barely had to worry about the possibility of relegation this year. A few people in the thread have mentioned about money spent as well, but I see a team largely built on decent Championship players that have been obviously coached up either into or back to Premier League potential. Bamford being the most obvious example, who seemed to be heading for the Jordan Rhodes role of second tier journey man struggling to match earlier form. 

Not sure what's to complain about.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Leeds weren't constantly knocking on the promotion door prior to his arrival, but he's got them to a play-off campaign, automatic promotion and then 9th in the Prem while there. They play good football and have barely had to worry about the possibility of relegation this year. A few people in the thread have mentioned about money spent as well, but I see a team largely built on decent Championship players that have been obviously coached up either into or back to Premier League potential. Bamford being the most obvious example, who seemed to be heading for the Jordan Rhodes role of second tier journey man struggling to match earlier form. 

Yep agree with you and also find some of comments baffling. 

What probably isn't so obvious from the outside is how he changes the workings of a club... Its beyond just getting 11 players playing well.  

It's why fans from all his previous clubs follow Leeds now.  It's why Leeds fans will follow wherever he goes next.... Its very hard to define. 

Football will never be the same for us when he goes.  Sounds melodramatic but I'd bet most Leeds fans would say the same.

It's why Newells ground is called estadio marcello bielsa. 

image.png.4c35e8de830cc4a1357602b9ff0aa96b.png

image.png.ce9d8d206290be75db8a014fd0918f6a.png

image.png.a3b115768cee465d39d36e6ecd2d45de.png

image.png.c11b54bb1b53b72261851d4811137de9.png

Guest T Hardy
52 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Indeed, I mentioned money spent mostly referring to what they’ve spent on Bielsa (£6m salary reported in the Championship, highest ever), it’s not a dig at all, it’s proven to be a very wise thing to do and worth every penny. It’s shown what an elite level manager can do at Championship level. I wish we’d have hired him. 

Guest T Hardy
33 minutes ago, Leeds U from sheff said:

What probably isn't so obvious from the outside is how he changes the workings of a club... Its beyond just getting 11 players playing well.  

It's why fans from all his previous clubs follow Leeds now.  It's why Leeds fans will follow wherever he goes next.... Its very hard to define. 

Football will never be the same for us when he goes.  Sounds melodramatic but I'd bet most Leeds fans would say the same.

I remember him at Bilbao when they knocked Man Utd out and there was a bit of a circus around him. He’s a unique character and you just know he’s so passionate about the sport and drills that into his players. Real passion, not Klopp making an arse out of himself moaning about TV scheduling passion. 

15 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

Indeed, I mentioned money spent mostly referring to what they’ve spent on Bielsa (£6m salary reported in the Championship, highest ever), it’s not a dig at all, it’s proven to be a very wise thing to do and worth every penny. It’s shown what an elite level manager can do at Championship level. I wish we’d have hired him. 

He is very expensive in terms of wages but I don't think it gets mentioned in the press, it dosnt all go to him, he brings in his team and he pays them directly.  

A recent bonus all went to charity. Prior ones gone to him old team academy foundation (NOB).  

He buys cars as prizes for lufc staff etc

Edited by Leeds U from sheff

Guest T Hardy
1 minute ago, Leeds U from sheff said:

He is very expensive in terms of wages but I don't think it gets mentioned in the press, it dosnt all go to him, he brings in his team and he pays them directly.  

A recent bonus all went to charity. Prior ones gone to him old team academy foundation (NOB).  

He buys cars as prizes for lufc staff etc

Yeah, I heard it before that the money mentioned includes what all his staff get too.

Worth every penny. Fair play to your lot, it totally paid off! Maybe we’ll play you again in 10 years or so lol 

I see our current owner as our Cellino. Total nutter who needs to step aside, then someone can come in who knows what they’re doing.

8 hours ago, Leeds U from sheff said:

Pls stop gushing

8 hours ago, T Hardy said:

Yeah, I heard it before that the money mentioned includes what all his staff get too.

Worth every penny. Fair play to your lot, it totally paid off! Maybe we’ll play you again in 10 years or so lol 

I see our current owner as our Cellino. Total nutter who needs to step aside, then someone can come in who knows what they’re doing.

I certainly see the similarities between cellini and chansiri. 

Cellino was madder... Snorting coke at games, walking out of conferences for a fag, managers like watermelons and hundreds of mad things... Some quite cynical. 

In many ways I think he had more of a business head than chansiri. 

22 hours ago, Leeds U from sheff said:

Cellino was madder... Snorting coke at games, walking out of conferences for a fag, managers like watermelons and hundreds of mad things... Some quite cynical. 

That’s not difficult lol Think there are kids in Hillsborough Primary school with more business acumen. 

As for the Coke, think I might need that to get through some of our L1 home games next season. 

22 hours ago, Leeds U from sheff said:

The scary thing is, I think you may be right here.

On 28/04/2021 at 14:41, Leeds U from sheff said:

I actually stared at the top photo for about 30 seconds before realising that there wasn't actually a massive crowd outside a One Stop waving flags and that. FFS.

• Haha 2

On 01/05/2021 at 23:44, Owlinmad said:

Have they qualified for the Champions League yet ?

No. 

4th in form table and 4 points behind a European spot.  On a roll since we got some players back... But ultimately will fall short. 

Not terrible with mostly our championship players for a lot of the season. 

• Haha 1