Bielsa - is he all that?

Brommers

37 minutes ago, SiJ said:

It is quite some achievement to have people going wax lyrical over you when you just shipped 6 goals.

That's the problem with having a "footballing" manager when you don't have the required footballers.

Stick Bielsa in Chelsea's or City's dugouts then yes, because their squads are world-class.

The Savilles need a manager who's more, shall-we-say, pragmatic.

:pulis:garymegson

Guest Mcguigan

Bielsa is about the the game and the spectacle rather than the result.

Pretty sure he could of stuck 10 men behind the ball and launched it forward at every opportunity but what would that say about him as a coach. 

Oh to be as enlightened as the great and wise McGuigan.

It is possible to play nice football and not defend like complete clowns.

As for being about the game and spectacle and not the result:

What a load of pretentious waffle.

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 3

It is possible to admire the manager and still be critical of the fact they can't defend for sh*t. 

Still - it will see them safe this season and that's what matters.

Edited by SiJ

55 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

Same usual suspect, inward looking Wednesday fans. Not got a clue. 

The thing is, it's not about being inward-looking, it's just about being realistic.

Every team in the world would like to play the beautiful game, and any team in the world can try to, but that's a different thing to getting positive results.

In our particular case, bearing in mind our resources, the only way we'll ever play like that is if we're in the Third or Fourth.

We did play good stuff under Jones in the Third, then when we got into the Championship we weren't good enough to play it and it took Greyosaurus to save us.

If we want PL football then it'll be functional, because that's what our resources dictate.

Similarly, if Bielsa wants to play his football and succeed then he'll have to quit Leeds and go to Man City or Chelsea.

Because Leeds don't have the money to buy the players he'd need.

1 hour ago, Athelwulf said:

The thing is, it's not about being inward-looking, it's just about being realistic.

Every team in the world would like to play the beautiful game, and any team in the world can try to, but that's a different thing to getting positive results.

In our particular case, bearing in mind our resources, the only way we'll ever play like that is if we're in the Third or Fourth.

We did play good stuff under Jones in the Third, then when we got into the Championship we weren't good enough to play it and it took Greyosaurus to save us.

If we want PL football then it'll be functional, because that's what our resources dictate.

Similarly, if Bielsa wants to play his football and succeed then he'll have to quit Leeds and go to Man City or Chelsea.

Heard it all now, Basically if you're not a top ten Premiership club then the only way you can win or get results is ******** hoofball. 🤦‍♂️

People forget what managers like Ron Atkinson did for us without massive resources and a squad change, He basically brought in a never heard of in the shape of Phil King and an out of favour John Sheridan who was on Forest's naughty list. Transformed the failing team under Eustace and gave us real football and result to match. Harp on all you like about the crap that Pulis, Megson and the rest serve up but it's turd to watch.  Get the ball down pass and make space, Allow players with skill to prosper and entertain the paying public. I would rather watch a Bielsa side play than our lot under Pulis and I hate Leeds with a passion. In fact to coin a popular phrase "If they were playing in my back garden I would close the curtains"

1 hour ago, Athelwulf said:

I absolutely agree. The thing is though he's taken some very average players and made them much better while playing completely insane kamikaze attacking football. They aren't going to win the league and some teams will work them out - as Man U did tonight. They still went for it when they were 6-1 down though, I love that.

So many Leeds fans are utter cunts and they just don't deserve that level of entertaining football. 

5 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I don't get why managers like Bielsa are so dogmatic in their approach. Pulis is similar

Yes, in a way they are. However, if your dogmatism is forward thinking, interesting and entertaining why would you want to change?

Pulis won't change as he's got results doing what he always does. It doesn't mean we should be happy about it. 

4 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

Yes, in a way they are. However, if your dogmatism is forward thinking, interesting and entertaining why would you want to change?

Pulis won't change as he's got results doing what he always does. It doesn't mean we should be happy about it. 

When McTominay keeps driving forward like he's Steven Gerrard you need to have a plan B in place. It's pure vanity to stay with the same approach. Maybe that is why he's never had a chance at a top club.

1 hour ago, Prince said:

Heard it all now, Basically if you're not a top ten Premiership club then the only way you can win or get results is ******** hoofball. 🤦‍♂️

People forget what managers like Ron Atkinson did for us without massive resources and a squad change, He basically brought in a never heard of in the shape of Phil King and an out of favour John Sheridan who was on Forest's naughty list. Transformed the failing team under Eustace and gave us real football and result to match. Harp on all you like about the crap that Pulis, Megson and the rest serve up but it's turd to watch.  Get the ball down pass and make space, Allow players with skill to prosper and entertain the paying public. I would rather watch a Bielsa side play than our lot under Pulis and I hate Leeds with a passion. In fact to coin a popular phrase "If they were playing in my back garden I would close the curtains"

I take your point, and there are happy mediums, of course.

I'm not suggesting that we'd have to play like the Wimbledon of old, but I don't see us playing like City either.

The reason Bielsa was overlooked by the top European clubs was because of his kamikaze approach, and Leeds currently sit only 7 points above the drop zone.

What you say about Atkinson is true, but that was in a different era.

And a pragmatic Arsenal beat us twice when it mattered.

Additionally, Atkinson built an old team, which by 1994-95 was pretty much at its end and we didn't have the money to replace it, what with the Premiership and Uncle Jack and Uncle John inflating the transfer market.

With better players we wouldn't need a Pulis now, even at this level, but Bielsa IMO would be unsuitable for us either.

Fans want to be entertained, but they don't like losing all the time either.

I'd settle for someone in the middle, neither a Pulis nor a Bielsa, the golden mean.

3 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

I take your point, and there are happy mediums, of course.

I'm not suggesting that we'd have to play like the Wimbledon of old, but I don't see us playing like City either.

The reason Bielsa was overlooked by the top European clubs was because of his kamikaze approach, and Leeds currently sit only 7 points above the drop zone.

What you say about Atkinson is true, but that was in a different era.

And a pragmatic Arsenal beat us twice when it mattered.

Additionally, Atkinson built an old team, which by 1994-95 was pretty much at its end and we didn't have the money to replace it, what with the Premiership and Uncle Jack and Uncle John inflating the transfer market.

With better players we wouldn't need a Pulis now, even at this level, but Bielsa IMO would be unsuitable for us either.

Fans want to be entertained, but they don't like losing all the time either.

I'd settle for someone in the middle, neither a Pulis nor a Bielsa, the golden mean.

Atkinson was long gone before the cup finals in 93 and the hapless Francis was in charge who after those finals replaced quality with combative crap in the form of Newsome, Pearce, Atherton and Nolan. We had the money to spend but Francis decided to try and emulate George Graham and we know how that ended.

Bielsa has held top jobs in Europe and done reasonably well at Athletic Bilbao and very well at Marseille, the reason he isn’t flavour of the month is the fact he is outspoken and its his way or no way. He roots out players who aren’t team players too, Pontus Jansson being the case in to point at Leeds, who undermined his instructions publicly in the Aston Villa game that season and was sold to Brentford despite being their best player. 

No club needs a manager like Pulis, It’s an ancient outdated method that doesn’t guarantee results and its mind numbing to watch. A manager with a football ethos playing a high pressing game and free flowing passing style would be my route. A bit like Carlos in the first season with us but he lost his balls in the final game.

58 minutes ago, Prince said:

Atkinson was long gone before the cup finals in 93 and the hapless Francis was in charge who after those finals replaced quality with combative crap in the form of Newsome, Pearce, Atherton and Nolan. We had the money to spend but Francis decided to try and emulate George Graham and we know how that ended.

Bielsa has held top jobs in Europe and done reasonably well at Athletic Bilbao and very well at Marseille, the reason he isn’t flavour of the month is the fact he is outspoken and its his way or no way. He roots out players who aren’t team players too, Pontus Jansson being the case in to point at Leeds, who undermined his instructions publicly in the Aston Villa game that season and was sold to Brentford despite being their best player. 

No club needs a manager like Pulis, It’s an ancient outdated method that doesn’t guarantee results and its mind numbing to watch. A manager with a football ethos playing a high pressing game and free flowing passing style would be my route. A bit like Carlos in the first season with us but he lost his balls in the final game.

But Francis brought in Waddle and Walker too, to be fair, but they weren't ones for the future.

I think that Francis surrounded himself with his mates, perhaps due to a lack of confidence, and that's why he signed Sinton instead of Sinclair for instance.

The problem we had by the mid-nineties is, how do we afford replacements for the likes of Waddle, Hirst, Walker, Nilsson et al..

The answer is that we couldn't, and Jack Walker and Sir John Hall played their part too by inflating the market and paying ridiculous wages to persuade players to go to their teams.

In 1992 Shearer went to Rovers for £3.6 million.

Four years later he went to Newcastle for £15 million, which indicates just how much the market had inflated as our top players were getting over the hill.

It was in that period when we should have modernized the club by selling out to a big-money man, as we did in 2010, and the fact that we didn't sealed our fate.

Had we done so then the last quarter of a century would very likely have been quite different.