WELCOME BACK KEIREN WESTWOOD!!

Westwood is probably the best keeper in the championship...Cameron Dawson is most definately not.

What was Monk's problem with him...and why register Dawson and Wildsmith and not KW?

Just another bizarre Monk decision

7 minutes ago, Andy W said:

Westwood is probably the best keeper in the championship...Cameron Dawson is most definately not.

What was Monk's problem with him...and why register Dawson and Wildsmith and not KW?

Obviously don't know the reason why Westwood was dropped/frozen from the team, but I would guess the reason he wasn't registered was because they were expecting/hoping to sell him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Andy W said:

must admit it was totally bizarre , what happens if wildsmith or dawson got injured? regards westwood i can assure you he is nowhere near the best keeper in the league he might have been 5years ago. i watch weds home and away and the keeping last season was the worst ive ever seen game after game in a season since i started watching weds in the early 80s . there are some who ive spoken to in the know what mention about the problems westwood causes and they didnt seem to be telling fibs ,im usually pretty good at sniffing out lies and b*ll. 

9 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

Obviously don't know the reason why Westwood was dropped/frozen from the team, but I would guess the reason he wasn't registered was because they were expecting/hoping to sell him.

they couldnt give him away and pay half his wages in the process . there is no big queue wanting westwood . i think mud sticks and his wages are unreal no club out there would get anywhere near offering half of what he is on here. he will cream the money this season and hang his boots up this summer. 

Edited by morganowl

It's baffling

I hadn't come across this EFL cap on player registrations before,  so checked it out

Apparently it was introduced in August to "help ease financial pressure on clubs"

Also, this cap doesn't apply in cup competitions or to under-21s

So then I see this from a Dom Howson article published today ...

The 36-year-old doesn't currently have a squad number and wasn't registered in the Owl's squad when it was submitted to the EFL meaning he is ineligible to play, however the Owls are making a case to add Westwood, which would mean one of the current 25-man squad dropping out.

23 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

Could have still sold him regardless. I think it was more to make a point to him. So his agent maybe got a move for him so we could get him off the wage bill.

• Like 2

Guest LondonOwl313
23 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

You register the squad at the end of the window so it can’t be that because we knew he would be here until at least January as he was staying. Just smells of incompetence.. no harm in registering on the off chance you change manager. We must have known it was quite likely we would after the last 23 games of last season

4 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

You register the squad at the end of the window so it can’t be that because we knew he would be here until at least January as he was staying. Just smells of incompetence.. no harm in registering on the off chance you change manager. We must have known it was quite likely we would after the last 23 games of last season

Monk would have decided on the players to be registered. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

What baffles me is we don't have 25 players aged 21 or over - even if you count Westwood, there are only 23 by my

reckoning    :mellow:

Which makes it even more likely that Monk left him out to prove to him that he didn't want him here.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Which makes it even more likely that Monk left him out to prove to him that he didn't want him here.

Don't doubt it

My point being,  despite what Dom Howson says,  we couldn't possibly have registered the full quota 

Are the EFL flexible when it comes to late additions?

Well free agents can sign up outside of any transfer window so ...   What's the problem?   

Guest LondonOwl313
9 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Don't doubt it

My point being,  despite what Dom Howson says,  we couldn't possibly have registered the full quota 

Are the EFL flexible when it comes to late additions?

Well free agents can sign up outside of any transfer window so ...   What's the problem?   

Tbh I always thought the transfer window was just for transferring player registrations between clubs which you need to play them. You can sign players outside the window but they can’t play until the window.

He’s already registered as our player so I’d have thought it was straight forward. Us holding his registration and him being on the squad list are two different things though I think 

I like Westwood as a player. No idea what he has done to deserve his current standing in the squad (well, his place not in the squad as it were). Maybe he told Garry Monk his name was Sheffield rhyming slang 😂

I do wonder though if he will be any good when he comes back. 
In most positions across the park a lay off of this length would make playing professional sport very hard without some bedding in of some sort. 
I only ever played in goal at five a side so don’t really know how much is instinct/ experience and how much is really based on developing the understanding with your defenders and other teammates.

Fingers crossed he’s even 75% at his best as even this is an upgrade on Dawson’s last few games before being dropped. 
Welcome back Kieron 🤞