Bazza/Patterson comments

What struck me was Pulis’s straight-talking.

Young keepers - I’ll pick Westwood.

Paterson - isn’t a forward.

If that’s what he’s telling us in his first Pulis Presser, just imagine how straight-talking he is in the dressing-room!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, swfc-dan said:

Found it positive that Pulis was full of praise for Bannan. Hopefully he won't have to sit too deep in midfield, but it sounds like he certainly rates him so I can't see him being dropped. More importantly who plays the holding/tackler role alongside him- surely that needs addressing in Jan as we only have Pessy who we are sick of watching make mistakes and have no impact. I can't imagine Pulis will be happy with him as the regular for long, huge priority for a strong tackler who can also pass in Jan- Pulis would've loved Hutch that's for sure. 

Interesting comments on Patterson, briefly saying he's not sure he is best in the strikers role or words to that effect. I expected him to be our target man now, but doesn't seem that way- that's obviously his opinion as an outsider but maybe he will change his view. Not sure how Patterson will be deployed now. Didn't expect him to pick Rhodes alongside Windass, but it's looking that way now?

Its amazing that 5 years later we are still trying to sort out the CM partnership. Pathetic

9 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Luongo will be our defensive midfielder / enforcer I think pulis will love him 

also think he will play Patterson out wide right somewhere 

Do you think Paterson has the stamina or pace to be a RWB or RW?

I think Pulis will love Harris in that role. Especially RWB. He’s a Duracell bunny.

12 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Do you think Paterson has the stamina or pace to be a RWB or RW?

I think Pulis will love Harris in that role. Especially RWB. He’s a Duracell bunny.

I’m not particular sure he will play 3-5-2 

agreed Harris plays well at RWB 

but would pulis return to a 4-4-2 

reverting Harris to a tough rb with height and long throw but keeping pace out on wing in Harris 

maybe he plays Patterson centrally and makes it hard to play through 

central three of pelupessy luongo and Patterson ( shivers ) and play Bannan out left 

maybe he doesn’t see him has a starter 

think it’s going to be interesting to see how he sees this team play 

one thing monk has given him is options in Harris 

his strength is pace his weakness his final ball or finishing but he gets us up the pitch quickly 

think he’s been excellent at wing back works his socks of fitness is good and he gets back abs revivers loads 

Guest wilyfox

The Paterson remark is concerning. Maybe Pulis is learning about him as we all are. I can’t see who else can give us some physicality top end. 

I think he will keep Bannan CM.

My opinion has always been he is better on the left in a 442. But that would be in a possession based attacking team with a attacking left back behind him allowing him to drift in. Id go with a midfield 4 of Reach Luongo Brown Bannan then have the width coming from Odubajo and Penney as full backs.

Cant see Pulis playing that way tho. Will be interesting to see how he sets us up.

Whatever way he sets up we need 2 forwards.

Guest Jack the Hat
12 hours ago, swfc-dan said:

Found it positive that Pulis was full of praise for Bannan. Hopefully he won't have to sit too deep in midfield, but it sounds like he certainly rates him so I can't see him being dropped. More importantly who plays the holding/tackler role alongside him- surely that needs addressing in Jan as we only have Pessy who we are sick of watching make mistakes and have no impact. I can't imagine Pulis will be happy with him as the regular for long, huge priority for a strong tackler who can also pass in Jan- Pulis would've loved Hutch that's for sure. 

Interesting comments on Patterson, briefly saying he's not sure he is best in the strikers role or words to that effect. I expected him to be our target man now, but doesn't seem that way- that's obviously his opinion as an outsider but maybe he will change his view. Not sure how Patterson will be deployed now. Didn't expect him to pick Rhodes alongside Windass, but it's looking that way now?

I've never thought of Patterson as a striker. For me he would play Pelepussys role but be a little more attack minded and we would also use his throw in as a weapon without missing him in the box. Whatever people think about Rhodes he has scored a lot of goals with his head. So, for me Patterson in midfield and Rhodes / Windass up top. I don't think we can do better until January. For me this has been obvious since he signed but nobody seems to agree with me. It will be interesting to see TP's take on it.

Luongo is the best partner for a Bannan and gives Barry a chance to play his game knowing his partner isn’t a liability, but god I hope he can have an injury free run in the side!

Joey has improved in the past few games but he cannot pass the ball forwards that’s for sure. 😂

Brown also allows Barry to play but made so many errors last couple of games off the bench and I’d be surprised if Pulis gives him much of a run out. 

As for Paterson his long throws will get him on the pitch I would think but as to where I can’t guess. I can see how he would get goals, particularly if chucked up front when chasing a game but he doesn’t seem like a starting striker to me. 

Bring on Saturday when all our questions will be answered!

4 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

I've never thought of Patterson as a striker. For me he would play Pelepussys role but be a little more attack minded and we would also use his throw in as a weapon without missing him in the box. Whatever people think about Rhodes he has scored a lot of goals with his head. So, for me Patterson in midfield and Rhodes / Windass up top. I don't think we can do better until January. For me this has been obvious since he signed but nobody seems to agree with me. It will be interesting to see TP's take on it.

I agree with you.

I’d have put Paterson in midfield while Luongo is/was out.

He is the only other horrible player we’ve got.

2 hours ago, billyblack said:

Its amazing that 5 years later we are still trying to sort out the CM partnership. Pathetic

Untrue. Under Bruce when Hutch was on form, him and Bannan made a great pairing.

It's since Hutch fell out that the problem has arisen. Pessy is nowhere near good enough to be a regular.

2 hours ago, fpowl said:

Luongo will be our defensive midfielder / enforcer I think pulis will love him 

also think he will play Patterson out wide right somewhere 

Don't think Luongo has the physical presence imo. He's a good box to box player, but not an enforcer,

Best option we have right now though.

1 hour ago, 0114 said:

In 17/18 when Paterson was Cardiff’s top scorer and finished 2nd, he played primarily at RM or CM. I suspect that’s where we may see him. 

Also didn’t sound like Bannan would be captain. 

Interesting. He doesn't seem suited to those positions but clearly it worked so maybe we'll see something similar.