90's football

IWEDFM

1 hour ago, 1867owl said:

Nah it's not just routine nostalgia with football.

It genuinely was so much better in the 90's, without any question whatsoever.

There was extreme money in the 90's, but it's gone into overdrive in the last 20 years and it's completely ripped the soul out of the game.

Add to that an increase in generic new grounds, the huge hike in ticket prices killing atmospheres, and the fact that wages and big club monopolies mean that players don't stick around and create the legacies like they used to.

Football is utterly charmless these days.

Agree with all that

53 minutes ago, Weshallovercome said:

You're getting old Sam, you're starting to sound like us lol...........you are right of course, modern technology hasn't helped, but money has killed the game we all used to love.

Hope you're well mate.

Great to hear from you Andy. I'm well thanks mate. You still in Belgium?

I know I must sound like a right old git 😁

Saturday mornings, channel 4 mornings....

Starting with Transworld sport, Gazzetta football italia think it was 10am until 11am?

Saturday afternoon off to Hillsborough, Saturday night match of the day.

Sunday morning play for your football team, Sunday afternoon watch the Italian game on C4 who they have chosen to show.

Sunday dinner when match finished, then school Monday! 

Miss it. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Saturday mornings, channel 4 mornings....

Starting with Transworld sport, Gazzetta football italia think it was 10am until 11am?

Saturday afternoon off to Hillsborough, Saturday night match of the day.

Sunday morning play for your football team, Sunday afternoon watch the Italian game on C4 who they have chosen to show.

Sunday dinner when match finished, then school Monday! 

Miss it. 

See, life was so simple back then and we were happier with less

No phones, tablets, social media etc.

• Like 1

I love 90s football. I think it’s a bias combined with it being the era of my childhood and being absolutely obsessed with football as well as there being a great Wednesday team.

If I was to properly analyse it, I would say it was peak football. The early days of the premier league when there was still the innocence of some of the antics but the start of exciting foreign imports coming in. By the 2000s, it became more sterile. The Quickly Kevin podcast captures this mood perfectly.

• Like 2

On 08/10/2020 at 01:30, Owl.1867 said:

I'm assuming that most harking back to the 90s are somewhere between 30 and 50 now?

This is just your standard nostalgia. Give it 30 years and some bloke will ask if everyone misses the excitement of the 20s, the VAR mess ups and the days you could still get a league 1 player for under £100m.

Hate to be the bringer of bad news, but this is just called getting old.

You’re probably right

I feel be same as the OP tho. Wednesday aside I started to lose interest about 2010

I was taking to a friend recently about this and he was the same. We had a quick look through the Italy, Spain, Germany squads and we could only name about 4 players from all 3. We didn’t know any of the Italian squad, far cry from the days of Nesta, Cannavaro, Baggio, Toldo, Maldini, Totti, Inzagi, Del Piero, Buffon, Vieri etc

Completely agree about the foreign teams. I used to know as much about Italian players as i did about English ones from watching Serie A every week. Looked at the Italy team this week and recognised one name. 

Playing Champ Man in the mid to late 90's was definitely a factor but i just used to care more about football back then.

It's about getting old . I could have posted this about the '80s. The best World Cups were 1982 and 1986. 

The 90's heralded the Premier League, and that's when it all started going wrong. 

Money has obviously killed football..Premier League , Champions League and FIFA. All about greed .

23 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

It's about getting old . I could have posted this about the '80s. The best World Cups were 1982 and 1986. 

The 90's heralded the Premier League, and that's when it all started going wrong. 

Money has obviously killed football..Premier League , Champions League and FIFA. All about greed .

I do think you're right mate, it is to do with age definitely. My biggest pet hate is social media as we know where players go on holiday, the names and ages of their kids, what cars they drive, who they hang out with etc. 

90's???????????

FFS I miss what it was like in the 60's and 70's!

Oh wait a minute, I've just remembered what it was really like then!