Can you name this Wednesday player and tell us a bit about him?

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-10-03 at 13.08.25.jpg

That's Albert Quixall, my first Wednesday favourite player. Sold to Manchester United in 1958 for £45,000 which was the record British transfer fee at the time.

Edited by millo
Wrong year.
  • Like 1

Certainly looks very like Quixall, even down to the quiff, but...? May be the photo but the hair doesn't look quite the fair, nay blonde,enough. Pity it doesn't show him from waist down. Quixall always used to wear his shorts rolled up at the waist in a very peculiar fashion.

What a right hand side we had at that time. Quixall  Inside Right, Alan Finney on the Right wing, and backed up bu Eddie Gannon at R.Half

Quixall was the only player to 'put in a shift' in the post Munich match, and was later bought by Matt Busby, but largely kept out of the Manure Squad.Only player I know who on taking a penalty was prepared to show the Keeper where he was going to put it, and did. 

• Love 1

Had a couple of great seasons for us. Lived Parsons cross and took Ballet lessons to improve poise and balance. Moved to Walkley prior to Man U switch a sad loss. IMO was MOM in the (Dennis Law) Cup final. A bout of Jaundice took him out of the game for a long while. He was never the same player after that.  was too young for him to be on my Icon list but disappointed when he went to Manchester.  

Went to Meynell Road school and as a kid played in the street juggling a tennis ball.

After football, I think he became a scrap dealer round the Stockport area.

Transferred to Man U about 2 weeks before I first went to Hillsboro (Oct 1958), so I only saw him in Man U colours.

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-10-03 at 13.08.25.jpg

"Bernard Raglan"

An old style inside half who used to train on his own by racing horses on his father's farm as a young lad. He came to England as a teenage stable hand and was talent spotted by Doncaster Rovers whilst having a kick about with his younger brother, Jimmy.

Bernard posted over 100 appearances for Donny in the post war years before making the move to Wednesday in 1952 where he played out the rest of his career, retiring at 31 due to an unfortunate bout of polio which saw him having to go on the iron lung thrice daily.

He was capped 12 times by Ireland.