Can we just...

1 minute ago, Chris Apolon said:

I've commented on a lot of posts throughout my time here, never once posted a topic but I feel I have to

Can we just, as a fanbase, get behind the team and players and see what happens. We're all wednesday fans here but I've never seen so many posts or comments with snide hidden (and not so hidden) attacks directed towards the chairman, manager and certain players.

People overstate the impact of us 'getting behind the boys' from behind our keyboards and negativity is to be expected after the last 9 months (20 years) of highly priced football.

Every message board of every club is full of fans claiming that 'we have the most negative and hate-breeding fans in the country'. I think we are actually quite patient and forgiving in the main but if it bothers you then I'd not come on here after a display like yesterdays.

• Like 3

I think we're down this year but the players and staff need to show some fight, bottle and integrity in facing up to that and trying their hardest to avoid the drop. If they fail but try and give it their all then I'll be okay with that. Lets always remember that they haven't created the sh*tty circumstances the club finds itself in, nor have we, but it's the manager, coaching staff and players that can get us out of it. It's a huge ask of them, though.

5 minutes ago, Salli said:

People overstate the impact of us 'getting behind the boys' from behind our keyboards and negativity is to be expected after the last 9 months (20 years) of highly priced football.

Every message board of every club is full of fans claiming that 'we have the most negative and hate-breeding fans in the country'. I think we are actually quite patient and forgiving in the main but if it bothers you then I'd not come on here after a display like yesterdays.

I'm not disagreeing with you necessarily I think constructive discussions are part of what makes a fanbase. I've been a fan since '93 and have known very little to celebrate and plenty to discuss but theres a difference between discussion and diatribe

I'm the first to comment about performances good or bad, however there are people that see any result as an opportunity to attack all aspects of the club not relevant to the performance

8 minutes ago, cowl said:

It's a message board for the fans.

What difference does it make whether we're supportive or critical of the team?

I'm not saying don't criticise I'm saying support the upcoming season. 

Too many people criticising before a ball is even kicked in the league

Just now, kobayashi said:

So don’t judge the manager on +40 games last season but do judge him after 7 games in the coming season. Great logic...

Last season has finished. We can't use last season as a barometer on this season whether people wanted Monk to stay or not. Football is not that simple 

6 minutes ago, Chris Apolon said:

I've commented on a lot of posts throughout my time here, never once posted a topic but I feel I have to

Can we just, as a fanbase, get behind the team and players and see what happens. We're all wednesday fans here but I've never seen so many posts or comments with snide hidden (and not so hidden) attacks directed towards the chairman, manager and certain players.

We are not going to win all matches 5-0

We are going to lose matches we should have won

We are going to win matches we should have lost

But for the love of god, can we please judge Monk after 7-10 games of THIS season. Not the 46 of last season

Not the last 20 odd games of last season

Not what he has done at Leeds, Birmingham, Middlesbrough but what he will do here. 

Not the players he has frozen out or that were released but the players he has and will get to coach

I know for many Monk will never be their favourite and many will not forget what happened latter part of last season, nor am I saying it should be, but it's time to look to the future, a new season, new types of players and for heavens sake get behind him and the team

Let's not forget we don't need many more points than we did last season to stay up even with the deduction.

We've had 1 league cup game and it's gone mental on here - despite the fact the record books will show a W

W fo Win, W for Wedensday WAWAW

Sadly some people have already made up their minds, even if Monk goes on to keep us up. 

Find me a team anywhere in life where constant negativity leads to success. Find me any study that says that will get you to succeed. The carrot and the stick work when the stick is used rarely but effectively. 

Maybe it shouldn't get to me. People can live in a constant pit of negativity and despair if they want. Just think it makes this forum very tedious, doesn't stimulate any debate and turns into who can slate the club the best. 

Don't get me wrong, criticism should be given when deserved. But most is just hyperbole and attention seeking. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chris Apolon said:

I'm not disagreeing with you necessarily I think constructive discussions are part of what makes a fanbase. I've been a fan since '93 and have known very little to celebrate and plenty to discuss but theres a difference between discussion and diatribe

I'm the first to comment about performances good or bad, however there are people that see any result as an opportunity to attack all aspects of the club not relevant to the performance

Diatribe? You've started a new thread to whinge about whinging.

Wednesday are in one hell of a hole; fans are passionate (perhaps even fanatical...) and will always vent on here after a game. The ventings have zero affect on anything however so if it bothers you simply click on the log out button.

• Like 3

I wonder if anyone has counted the number of posts on Owlstak after a win and compared it to the number of posts after a loss. It might be interesting.

I feel that the number after a loss would come out considerably higher. Certain posters never appear after a win but are all over the threads after a loss.

Maybe I'm wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Chris Apolon said:

We are not going to win all matches 5-0

We are going to lose matches we should have won

We are going to win matches we should have lost

But for the love of god, can we please judge Monk after 7-10 games of THIS season. Not the 46 of last season

Not the last 20 odd games of last season

Not what he has done at Leeds, Birmingham, Middlesbrough but what he will do here. 

Not the players he has frozen out or that were released but the players he has and will get to coach

I know for many Monk will never be their favourite and many will not forget what happened latter part of last season, nor am I saying it should be, but it's time to look to the future, a new season, new types of players and for heavens sake get behind him and the team

Let's not forget we don't need many more points than we did last season to stay up even with the deduction.

We've had 1 league cup game and it's gone mental on here - despite the fact the record books will show a W

W fo Win, W for Wedensday WAWAW

Why cant we take last season under him into account?

He started off very well, as he has done at other clubs, then it went badly wrong within 6 months, probably why he has never last 2 years in a managerial position.

The manager and team had a lot of time to reflect and come together in 3 months of lock-down. We came back more positive and picked up 8 points from 9 games.

Apparently we have now come back from a short pre-season invigorated and ready to go with a new sense of energy and positive approach to meeting the challenge.

We can only judge on what we see - we failed to create chances for 75 minutes against a mid-table 4th division side and needed penalties to beat them. 

We all want to back the team as a whole but it is hard not to be critical based on that performance. Penney was the main positive, Brown looked good when Monk finally got him into a better position and gave him something to play off and we didn't concede a goal. Other than that it was very uninspiring. 

2 minutes ago, prowl said:

I wonder if anyone has counted the number of posts on Owlstak after a win and compared it to the number of posts after a loss. It might be interesting.

I feel that the number after a loss would come out considerably higher. Certain posters never appear after a win but are all over the threads after a loss.

Maybe I'm wrong.

You are right that you are wrong!

1 minute ago, Chris Apolon said:

But what of it? What impact does this have on the team's chances?

This just seems to be more a lament about the quality of debate on here but somehow packaged as a warning that whatever's said on here has an impact on the team's chances.