He’s never going to shut up about this one

13 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

It was fun though, entertaining for the most part.     

Oh definitely! The first season was brilliant - some great football.

After that it was awful though, even when we finished 4th. How the hell did we manage to not go up with those teams in the play offs? 

It’s a shame he bottled it after Wembley and started playing defensively 

• Like 1

Carlos was so close to the right formula here, 

.................Westwood

Hunt........Lees.......Loovens.......Pudil

..........Lee......Hutch......Bannan

Matias.........Joao............Fessi 

iirc that was pretty much his first year team and was probably 2 players short of success.

Hooper, Fletcher, Wallace & Reach were bought in, but somehow we got further away from success

We're now years away from promotion ... I wonder if Carlos has learned from his mistakes? Carlehs.png.6eff106b6957f743f6ee84d4aa254ea2.png

1 minute ago, EcclesallOwl said:

Oh definitely! The first season was brilliant - some great football.

After that it was awful though, even when we finished 4th. How the hell did we manage to not go up with those teams in the play offs? 

It’s a shame he bottled it after Wembley and started playing defensively 

There I agree with you, would love to know why he went from one extreme to the other.  More the middle way would have been more beneficial.  

Fair play to him I say, Good managers learn and adapt from their experiences maybe he's one of those

As for us 

First season with us was the best football in the past 25 years and closest weve come to the premier league 

Second season more restrictive and less free flowing but highest league position since relegation from Premier league

Third season signed/given wrong players football was dull but still better than anything Jos, monk served up after him or Grey before him 

Edited by Guest
wrong facts

8 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

I wanted him gone at the time. It felt like his time had come. 

But had he stayed I really don't think we'd have done any worse.

What Jos and Monk have served up is way worse than Carlos ever did.

Jos, Monk and Bruce. The football wasn’t great in season two, but Carlos knew how to win

7 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

There I agree with you, would love to know why he went from one extreme to the other.  More the middle way would have been more beneficial.  

Apparently he said teams had figured us out and we needed to play a different way

Load of rubbish. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. How many successful teams completely change the way they play every year so teams don’t figure them out? 

Edited by Stoop

6 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Because he tried to copy Hull. 

Had Bruce taken over the Carlos team, Carlos would be seen as a hero. That squad that Jos took over didn’t need major surgery. Few in, few out. Bruce would have nailed it. 

Just now, Stoop said:

Apparently he said teams had figured us out and we needed to play a different way

Load of rubbish. How many successful teams completely change the way they play every year so teams don’t figure them out? 

This always happens to Sheffield Wednesday managers for some bizarre reason

Every single one of them

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Jos, Monk and Bruce. The football wasn’t great in season two, but Carlos knew how to win

Strange season was that. Two games in particular summed that season up for me. Rotherham and Wigan away, absolutely dreadful football but we came away with the points on both occasions 

Still loads we don't know about im sure r.e. recruitment. Clearly didn't want Abdi, Rhodes, Van Aken. Those we know of.  

If only we'd got a deal over the line for Keogh or more so Sean Morrison who he wanted, i think it'd have been much better placed, rather than ending up with Van Aken. 

1 minute ago, Stoop said:

Load of rubbish. How many successful teams completely change the way they play every year so teams don’t figure them out? 

I think it was more of a case of seeing the limitations in the squad, and devising a way to overcome them He massively overachieved in season two, but the disappointment was, the cagey approach not being enough to beat a very beatable Huddersfield side

Just now, vulva said:

Because he tried to copy Hull. 

Had Bruce taken over the Carlos team, Carlos would be seen as a hero. That squad that Jos took over didn’t need major surgery. Few in, few out. Bruce would have nailed it. 

I remain to be convinced about Bruce, certainly better than Jos, but the players Bruce signed for the club haven't been the signings of the decade, hardly pulled up any trees. Granted had he been here to mould them to how he wanted to play, we might have seen better results, but we will never know.

He was doing a competent job thats about as good a compliment I can give him.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Anyway I wish him well.

But let's be honest this won't be the last of this statistic that we hear

He'll be banging on about it for years to come

lol

So you are telling me he may break more records.? 

Perhaps that could mean that he is not a bad manager after all.