He’s never going to shut up about this one

Just now, nickswfc said:

Carlos has now been gone about the same time that he was here, can we seriously be saying that 2.5 years later, we're still cleaning 'his mess' up now.

It's just excuses.

I know you're a fan of Carlos mate and are making excuses for him on this but you really do need to read up on the mess he left, the work ethic of the players, how training was under Carvalhal etc

You're talking from a position of ignorance on this one

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, Stoop said:

We had a good system in 15/16, we just needed a few upgrades in certain positions imo. Jones looked a good signing and so did Abdi. Buckley, Mcmanaman, Winnal, Emanuelson, and Rhodes were unneeded additions to already bloated squad. I don’t think CC knew what to do with them all in the end 

15-16 was great yes, but I think Carlos was aware of the squads limitations, and both him, and the chairman have gone on record saying they were unable to bring in the players we wanted. 
Ever the tactician, I think Carlos thought our best chance of achieving the two year promotion target was to keep things tight and grind out results. Sure I didn’t much care for it, but that was pretty innovative, creating a box in the middle of the park. It made us very difficult to beat, and hey, it almost worked. I can even understand why we persisted with it in the semi final, after all, why change something that had taken us to our highest position? In hindsight, yes maybe we should have, but nothing at the time suggested we should. Like Wilder across the city, Carlos was tactically aware, and prepared to innovate to give his side the advantage. Oh for some of that now

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

15-16 was great yes, but I think Carlos was aware of the squads limitations, and both him, and the chairman have gone on record saying they were unable to bring in the players we wanted. 
Ever the tactician, I think Carlos thought our best chance of achieving the two year promotion target was to keep things tight and grind out results. Sure I didn’t much care for it, but that was pretty innovative, creating a box in the middle of the park. It made us very difficult to beat, and hey, it almost worked. I can even understand why we persisted with it in the semi final, after all, why change something that had taken us to our highest position? In hindsight, yes maybe we should have, but nothing at the time suggested we should. Like Wilder across the city, Carlos was tactically aware, and prepared to innovate to give his side the advantage. Oh for some of that now

Good points

Shame Wallace went off so early in the semi v Huddersfield. Maybe that impacted the gameplan

Huddersfield at home and Reading at Wembley standing in our way of the PL. Will we ever get a better chance than that again 

Just now, Stoop said:

Good points

Shame Wallace went off so early in the semi v Huddersfield. Maybe that impacted the gameplan

Huddersfield at home and Reading at Wembley standing in our way of the PL. Will we ever get a better chance than that again 

Indeed

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I know you're a fan of Carlos mate and are making excuses for him on this but you really do need to read up on the mess he left, the work ethic of the players, how training was under Carvalhal etc

You're talking from a position of ignorance on this one

If you genuinely support what Chansiri and Monk are doing, and know the current problems are more down to Carlos. Then maybe, you should help me, and other 'ignorant' fans by explaining or directing us to the reasons why, or how we can 'read up'. Maybe it will create much needed empathy with the current regime.

Just now, Rogers said:

but still got in the play offs twice..unreal hey 

A day out at Wembley and another play off failure. We should put it on our honours board. At Wembley the players bottled it and it highlighted four good signings were needed to improve the squad. The second play off was atrocious. Up to the play offs we had a team that was playing well and getting good results but Carvalhal had to bring back all of his crocked superstars and the rest is history. Don't get me started on the game against United where our so called superstars literally rolled over in one of the most embarrassing displays I've seen at Hillsborough. Those wonderful players couldn't even face questions from the press for days afterwards.

• Like 2

CC gets a lot of stick about the derby defeat I was p*ssed off at the time, but you can’t blame CC for Westwood getting beat at his near post and JVA deciding to play the game with his eyes closed 

1 minute ago, Stoop said:

CC gets a lot of stick about the derby defeat I was p*ssed off at the time, but you can’t blame CC for Westwood getting beat at his near post and JVA deciding to play the game with his eyes closed 

and against a side who are now challenging for a place in the Champions League

1 minute ago, Jim said:

It almost worked?

It did.

But then it went wrong and Carlos was rightly booted out.

But the biggest problems have come with the squad mentality and application since Carlos installed his methodology of training and what players saw Sheffield Wednesday as

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

It did.

But then it went wrong and Carlos was rightly booted out.

But the biggest problems have come with the squad mentality and application since Carlos installed his methodology of training and what players saw Sheffield Wednesday as

Then Bruce had us in similar form?

Difference between Carlos, Bruce and Jos, Monk are two of them are good man managers and two of them are not. You can be the best tactician in the world but you have to understand individuals and how to get the best out of them mentally. 

1 minute ago, Jim said:

Then Bruce had us in similar form?

Difference between Carlos, Bruce and Jos, Monk are two of them are good man managers and two of them are not. You can be the best tactician in the world but you have to understand individuals and how to get the best out of them mentally. 

How is Monk supposed to man-manage the likes of Forestieri, Hutchinson etc?

Owlstalk Shop

57 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

So you are telling me he may break more records.? 

Perhaps that could mean that he is not a bad manager after all.

If he keeps going he has managed 18 teams so far what is the record for teams managed. With Carlos record of getting found out after 12-18 months at 54 years old he has at least another 6-10 teams in him. :tango:

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Well for starters The second Carlos went we started to find out from the players just what was going on at the training ground

Since then we've seen the attitudes of the players who have effectively been doing what they want, and don't want to change

The attitutdes of the players doing what they want since Carlos? 

Who? Are you saying the likes of Fletcher, Reach, Bannan, Lees, Reach, Palmer,Lee,  Nuhiu don't train properly and have a slack attitude due to Carlos? They're the only ones left in the team from his time. 

Westwood and Hutchinson were banished months ago, are you saying they influence the attitude of the playing squad more than the manager? Weak management if that is that case. Borner, Murphy, Da Cruz, Windass, Wickham, Harris, Iorfa, all first team players that had nothing to do with Carlos that feature regularly in an under-performing team. Are they victims of the attitude of a couple of players and the manager can't influence them more than these rogue individuals? 

Or is it all down to Forestieri and everyone feeds off his perceived slack training? Why doesn't Monk drop more players from the squad if this is the case?

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

How is Monk supposed to man-manage the likes of Forestieri, Hutchinson etc?

Carlos did, Bruce did. Granted it’s hard for Monk now but I’m talking more about earlier in the season.