He’s never going to shut up about this one

I really liked him, but he changed and he couldnt hack it long term and shouldnt have signed on for the third year as the second year the writing was on the wall (yes i know we finished 4th, but we were nowhere near the flowing footballing side that got us to the PO final, and it was only dropping out of the playoffs at Barnsley that prompted him to go back attacking).

As he has done in his career instant success at varying levels then nothing after. If we had got Bruce after that second season then we would have been a force to be reckoned with.

That said i like Carlos

• Like 2

Whatever anyone thinks of him and his methods, he still had us playing the most exciting, free-flowing football I have seen at Hillsborough for a very long time, and we got to the payoffs 2 years running along with our highest finish for a very long time.

Oh how I wish we could have those days back, I genuinely think it could be another decade before we even approach that level.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Well for starters The second Carlos went we started to find out from the players just what was going on at the training ground

Since then we've seen the attitudes of the players who have effectively been doing what they want, and don't want to change

But that method got us to within 90 mins of the prem and into the playoffs again the following year. Nothing wrong with a maverick approach

If the Chairman or subsequent managers can't change those attitudes and instil a different regime and method that's more their own shortcomings

Just now, One De Bilde said:

But that method got us to within 90 mins of the prem and into the playoffs again the following year. Nothing wrong with a maverick approach

It's ok whilst you're doing well

But if you instil that thought process and ethic into the squad and it doesn't come off you're in big trouble

As we are seeing

Owlstalk Shop

He was a good tactician who knew how to set up a team and recognised a player’s strengths.

Just don’t let him near anything else.

I see Jose Semedo was in the opposition team last night.

Unless it’s a different one, seem to be a lot of Semedo’s

18 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's ok whilst you're doing well

But if you instil that thought process and ethic into the squad and it doesn't come off you're in big trouble

As we are seeing

Yep but I don't blame Carlos for the current state of things. 

We have had ample time to change the culture (it looked like Bruce was starting to) and to move on certain players. The number of players sold in the Chansiri era is absolutely criminal.

• Like 1

I think all this is a bit unfair on Carlos, I really do His remit from the chairman, however naive, was promotion within two years, nothing about building a legacy. There was nothing sustainable about our approach, save for a bit of welcome investment in the development system. 
Carlos took a very average championship squad, and got them to 2 consecutive play offs in his only 2 full seasons. It very nearly worked.

• Like 2

Just now, gurujuan said:

I think all this is a bit unfair on Carlos, I really do His remit from the chairman, however naive, was promotion within two years, nothing about building a legacy. There was nothing sustainable about our approach, save for a bit of welcome investment in the development system. 
Carlos took a very average championship squad, and got them to 2 consecutive play offs in his only 2 full seasons. It very nearly worked.

Literally nobody in this thread is disagreeing with any of that

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Can't help but love him and his cheeky ways!

He's full on charming!

If only he didn't leave our club in tatters!

I was only thinking about this the other day.

Carlos' legacy & how he will be viewed in years to come.

I was also considering the bigger picture as to where a manager's responsibility lies. 

Manager's tenures are mainly short term before they move on or are booted out. 

They are therefore going to achieve what they can as quickly as they can without any forward glance of the future & how the club would be left after their departure. After all, you could argue it's not really their responsibility to make life infinitely easier for whoever follows them.

Look at Warnock for instance, does what he does, & leaves having rescued whoever but usually in a worse state than when he took over. Certainly no long term building for the future. 

May sound daft, but look at Ferguson, his final year Man U won the Prem but he left them with an aging, past their best squad which took years to rebuild & still isn't the finished article and that with bazillions to spend.

That first year under Carlos may have done us more harm than good. Expectations went through the roof, (which ultimately led to Carlos going more reserved & negative)  DC chased success by throwing money at it & the rest is history.

Regardless, he still gave us the best season since the early 90s.

40 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I've just touched on this aspect in another post before i read your post.

Guest Therealrealist

Mite have his eye on the benfica gig the way they are goin at the moment..shockin home loss last night

Guest Therealrealist
5 minutes ago, PortlandOwl said:

Time to move on.

We are swfc..we never move on from past managers or players🤪