David Hirst to Man United? Here's what happened..

31 minutes ago, owlontheprowl said:

Weren’t the rumors around that time that it was Kanchelskis and Hughes? 

I've no idea at all on this.

I mate of mine around the time was a big Everton fan, said Kanchelskis advisors had links to Russian mafia and engineered transfers to make money.  

16 hours ago, savi said:

What is not said:

Fee aggreed with SWFC. along with player"s exchange, Yes PLAYERS

Wages agreed... A lot more than Swfc was offering

Bonuses agreed...Money, Cars, House and other family benefits... 

SWFC v QPR was the defining moment TF shafted Hirsty. 

Wed night game v QPR, all was agreed with Man Ure, Hirsty was to play no part in this game as Thursday he was to be unveiled as a Man Ure player. 

Hirsty turns up with all the players knowing he was to be a Man Ure player and TF names Hirsty as the no. 9. 

TF Well and truly sold him down the river hence why they don't speak even now. 

"Hear Say" 

IN MY OPINION..

TF & Dave Richards possibly was the start of our decline that we have never recovered from. 

Well that’s a different version , TF never agreed to it so don’t know where you got this from . 

Saysa lot we are still talking about this. DH was the first and only player I truly loved. I still have a signed photo of him on my wall. Id rather leave all this in the past and remember how much I loved him in 1993. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

Francis was responsible for a lot of the issues with Hirst by rushing him back early from when Steve Bould did him. So he was right not to sell him at the time.

Hirst played on in the game after Steve Bould did him and even scored with a broken ankle.

The phsyio at the time Alan Smith probably didn’t do him any favours either allowing him to play on

19 hours ago, savi said:

What is not said:

Wed night game v QPR, all was agreed with Man Ure, Hirsty was to play no part in this game as Thursday he was to be unveiled as a Man Ure player. 

Hirsty turns up with all the players knowing he was to be a Man Ure player and TF names Hirsty as the no. 9. 

"Hear Say" 

IN MY OPINION..

TF & Dave Richards possibly was the start of our decline that we have never recovered from. 

I said at the time we should have tested Man Utd's desire for Hirst with just such a deal.

Players I wanted were Brian Mclair and Lee wotsisface. + £4m to spend on the team.

I agree the rot set in when Francis was retained as manager, he got rid of the winners in the team/Squad and never replaced them.

16 hours ago, savi said:

Not too sure which players was supposed to be coming our way as this was not confirmed, TF had the pick apparently but I would assume it would have excluded Nevilles, Giggs, Scholes, Butt, & Beckham. 

Completely agree 1963.

However look at it from Hirstys point of view. (If true). 

Dave Richards had agreed the sale but TF had the final say on all incomings / outgoings (apparently) 

This is hear say... Agreed between AF / Man Ure & Hirsty. 

AF and Man Ure  were the big I am back then and things were done AFs way, he knew TF would be opposed to the idea and knew TF had the final say on Swfc transfers so met and agreed with Hirsty the supposed contract. 

A Fax was sent on the Wednesday from Man Ure and TF was asked not to play him that night but this didn't happen. 

Hirsty was not a happy bunny apparently. 

£1m signing on fee 

3x weekly wage increase rumoured £15,000 to £45,000pw.

New House, cars, big bonuses. etc. 

Think I'd be pissed with TF even if only the signing on fee is correct. 

I say all this as I heard it from a player at the time. All be it this was about 15 years ago when I heard this so I may have got a few details wrong. 

Between them, Ferguson, Francis and Hirst have all discussed this several times in recent years. But none of them have given a version like this and I've never heard anything like it, even as a rumour. If your scenario was correct, I see no reason why they'd all be keeping it a secret almost 30 years later. And as others have mentioned, the salaries look unlikely for that time.

The only obvious dissent from Hirst towards Francis was that gesture he made towards the bench after he scored the only goal against Manchester United, but that was much later than this.

Guest LondonOwl313
17 hours ago, savi said:

Not too sure which players was supposed to be coming our way as this was not confirmed, TF had the pick apparently but I would assume it would have excluded Nevilles, Giggs, Scholes, Butt, & Beckham. 

Completely agree 1963.

Dave Richards had agreed the sale but TF had the final say on all incomings / outgoings (apparently) 

AF and Man Ure  were the big I am back then and things were done AFs way, he knew TF would be opposed to the idea and knew TF had the final say on Swfc transfers so met and agreed with Hirsty the supposed contract. 

A Fax was sent on the Wednesday from Man Ure and TF was asked not to play him that night but this didn't happen. 

£1m signing on fee 

I say all this as I heard it from a player at the time. All be it this was about 15 years ago when I heard this so I may have got a few details wrong. 

Some of this may or may not be true but if someone tells me something that is verifiably untrue it makes me less likely to believe that anything else they say is true either.

As others have said the wages can’t be right versus what was widely reported to be the wages the highest paid players were on at the time. Ditto for the signing on fee. And given the direct quote from Hirst was that the money at SWFC wasn’t too dissimilar to what players got at Man Utd it doesn’t make sense for them to treble his wages either. 

If these things are so obviously wrong it does make me doubt anything else your source has told you too

15 minutes ago, archieswfc said:

Classic owlstalk. OP states quotes from the 3 involved and people on here know better :tango:. Can't beat rumours. 

tbh I wouldn't take Francis's word as gospel, after he tried to rewrite history with his most recent version of the Cantona episode - and completely contradicted his own words from the time.

On 27/05/2020 at 20:49, savi said:

What is not said:

"Hear Say" 

IN MY OPINION..

No idea if this is true. Doesn't really sound feasible, but a good read all the same.

Thanks.

20 hours ago, savi said:

Completely agree 1963.

£1m signing on fee 

Just read this one and now I know it's rubbish.

Totally unrealistic figures in 1992.

30 minutes ago, archieswfc said:

Classic owlstalk. OP states quotes from the 3 involved and people on here know better :tango:. Can't beat rumours. 

It's not the OP that people are doubting. It's the post later on that refers to a move having been virtually done and dusted, Hirst turning up to an evening game expecting not to play and say his goodbyes but instead being selected and playing a key role in a 4-0 win. Also the fact that this post refers to us paying him 15K a week in 1991 and Man Utd offering him £45K - no chance - Hirst even refers to the fact that salaries were not at that level and the difference between us and Man Utd in wages was not that different.

17 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It's not the OP that people are doubting. It's the post later on that refers to a move having been virtually done and dusted, Hirst turning up to an evening game expecting not to play and say his goodbyes but instead being selected and playing a key role in a 4-0 win. Also the fact that this post refers to us paying him 15K a week in 1991 and Man Utd offering him £45K - no chance - Hirst even refers to the fact that salaries were not at that level and the difference between us and Man Utd in wages was not that different.

I know mate. I'm commenting on the evolving stories which are not necessary. The quotes from the OP tells it's own story but people have to keep adding bits that they heard in the pub. Nothing needed to be added. The story is told. 

You have to love owlstalk! 

I tell a story I heard from A PLAYER FROM THAT VERY TEAM and....... 

"I heard it in the pub"

"Unrealistic wages from that era'

I'm not on this site or this post to try and tell people this is how it rolled100% right but I'm telling what I believe to be not far off 100% correct. 

Still to this day I get told that QPR game was the end of Hirst & Francis. 

Guest LondonOwl313
9 minutes ago, savi said:

You have to love owlstalk! 

I tell a story I heard from A PLAYER FROM THAT VERY TEAM and....... 

"I heard it in the pub"

"Unrealistic wages from that era'

I'm not on this site or this post to try and tell people this is how it rolled100% right but I'm telling what I believe to be not far off 100% correct. 

Still to this day I get told that QPR game was the end of Hirst & Francis. 

What do you expect when you post something that everyone knows is BS? Lol

In hindsight he faded maybe a couple of years later and we should’ve taken the money. But we still got good money from Southampton for him.

There would’ve been hell on had we sold him and I think that’s the fear the club has had about selling players rather than having plans for a quick replacement or two to better the squad and appease fans. 

We saw it with the Italians too. Rather than big them up and sell them for profit, the club questioned their character and turned the fans against them so they could get rid at a loss but minimise criticism!

Edited by Bluesteel