The Sheffield Wednesday 10 year checkpoint assessment and future prediction thread

Hillsborough Goal.jpeg

Relegation from PL to losing run in Division One.

Charterhouse.

Big wages and huge debt

Unsuccessful attempts to sell the training ground

Relegation from the Champ.

Winding up order.

Protests.

Alan Irvine

FFP and Chansiri

Potential Points deduction

Going from 3rd at the season midway point to ...?

Watching the pigs compete for CL football.

2030..?

Hard to decide which period is the worst, if anything I'd say now, the only underlying hope for previously mentioned periods was the hope of a big takeover... well we've had one now and we're no further forward.

Where will we be in 2030?

Such a negative thread, apologies.

• Like 1

When the Owls were relegated from the PL I was 18 and I thought “I hope we’re back by the time I’m 20”. Then it changed to “I hope we’re back by the time I’m 30”. 
now I’m 38 it’s “I hope we’re back by the time I’m 40”. 
In short, now i don’t see us returning to the PL anytime soon, and certainly not under the current ownership. 

Edited by Owls-Fan

3 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

When the Owls were relegated from the PL I was 18 and I thought “I hope we’re back by the time I’m 20”. Then it changed to “I hope we’re back by the time I’m 30”. 
In short, now i don’t see us returning to the PL anytime soon, and certainly not under the current ownership. 

I too was 18 when we got relegated. I said at the time I thought we might never return and that we might get relegated again. Pessimistic mystery guts, wasn't I?

21 minutes ago, Onge said:

I too was 18 when we got relegated. I said at the time I thought we might never return and that we might get relegated again. Pessimistic mystery guts, wasn't I?

Sounds like you were a realist :biggrin:

1 hour ago, nickswfc said:

Charterhouse.

Big wages and huge debt

Winding up order.

Protests.

Alan Irvine

FFP and Chansiri

2030..?

Hard to decide which period is the worst, if anything I'd say now, the only underlying hope for previously mentioned periods was the hope of a big takeover... well we've had one now and we're no further forward.

Not negative. It can go positively over the next 10 years.

Bought out by a wealthy individual looking for the next sleeping giant

Near miss S1

Champions S2 in a Wolves-esque 100 point, 90 goal season

Stadium hugely upgraded

Prem S1 finish 8th

Established Prem top half side for rest of decade

Kate Winslett and Serena Williams pick me as their go-to romantic dinner partner

Edited by Holmowl

20 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

I'm a bit younger but similar experience for me too. 

My first season ticket was the year after relegation from the Premier League.

2000 - 2004 were horrendous - then watching back the highlights from the Cardiff play off final, the feelings of 'the worst is over', the commentators saying "today is the day the decline stopped".. etc. Until we got relegated again in 2010.

2012 brought back similar feelings to Cardiff, three seasons of boring medicrity until 2015, takeover and finally a decent team pushing for the Premier League. 

So for us to go through this to now be right back into a situation now where we're no further forward than we were 20 years ago and the club is more toxic than ever and yet again needs a complete refresh / overhaul - I just wonder how much more the fans can take.

Looking back over our history have we ever had such a rubbish era? People talk about the 70s but we were pretty good in the 60s and then again in the 80s so certainly I don't think we have longevity wise.

It's hard to consider the league one promotions as real success so we've had what 2 or 3 decent seasons in twenty years? 15/16, 16/17? Maybe 06/07. Realistically you'd have to be aged 40+ to have fully appreciated the last time we were good.

Anyway I'll stop moaning now, bigger things to worry about.

21 hours ago, nickswfc said:

Hillsborough Goal.jpeg

Charterhouse.

Big wages and huge debt

Winding up order.

Protests.

Alan Irvine

FFP and Chansiri

2030..?

Wasn't the charterhouse funding the Dave Richards error in the 1990's

I think the next 12-18 months with DC in charge could define the club for the next 10-15 years. His stubbornness means he thinks he knows what he is doing then he keeps ballsing everything up.

Looking in the league we are in, Brentford are doing it the right way, building a team from getting players improving them and growing the club last season they posted a £20m profit. They are building themselves a new stadium and have a team pushing for promotion.

We on the other hand are on the slide have wasted the investment on bad management and ownership have a squad of over paid, under performing players, half of which are out of contract in the summer, then the remains of the squad are all out of contract next summer.

£150m wasted for us to be further down the league, with no ground, no squad, fan base dwindling and the team in freefall.

But as I keep saying a chairman too stubborn to ask for help or get in people who know what they are doing. 

What an absolute atrocious 20 years for this club. Can only really think of the Forest fans have suffered similar in the same period of time. Every other decent sized club has had a bit of success since 2000

1 hour ago, Stoop said:

What an absolute atrocious 20 years for this club. Can only really think of the Forest fans have suffered similar in the same period of time. Every other decent sized club has had a bit of success since 2000

Coventry worst of the lot 

23 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

Sums it up for me this, except I was 30. Funny thing is during the 90s I just could not envisage us getting relegated out of the PL and then we did but as you say thought we were nailed on to go back up.. I am thinking now that I won't see times as good as the 90s ever again ..ad as could be a whole lifetime of watching us and it will be we were quite good for 10 years. Think we can consign  that "big club" name to the bin.

The only positive is I got to see the win a proper trophy and play in europe. Not sure my kids will see that.

7 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Sums it up for me this, except I was 30. Funny thing is during the 90s I just could not envisage us getting relegated out of the PL and then we did but as you say thought we were nailed on to go back up.. I am thinking now that I won't see times as good as the 90s ever again ..ad as could be a whole lifetime of watching us and it will be we were quite good for 10 years. Think we can consign  that "big club" name to the bin.

The only positive is I got to see the win a proper trophy and play in europe. Not sure my kids will see that.

The thing is though after the first season of DC and everything aligned and but for the players chocking and us losing to Hull we would have been promoted.

But from that point onwards upwards o £100m has been wasted the on mangers and players here for the money and not to get promoted.

The fans have been treated as a customer to milk for a much as he can, the club is in free fall and I can only see us going one way and should we go down can anyone honestly see us coming back up and not sinking further.

We haven't barely spent a penny on players for the last 3 season (other than €4m in JVA) yet we are losing £20m+ a season where is all the money going, why do we not seem to have any plan to move the club forward other than the pipe dream of promotion.