Moses Odubajo

I keep reading (in mitigation for him) that he's better going forward and has pace.

I can't honestly say I've seen much evidence of either whilst he's been with us.

I do remember the player that was at Hull too, but there seems little resemblance between them.

As it is right now, he seems no more likely to get forward than either Fox or Palmer, and no more likely to get back in position to defend even when he does.

I had really high hopes for him when he signed, but he's been a major disappointment so far. As for playing him further forward; yeah, why not? I don't see a problem in giving it a go, although I can't pretend I'd be particularly optimistic about it being a success.

Think the stick he has received so far has been unjust to be honest. Yes he hasn’t had the best of starts and there have been a couple of games that he has cost us. 
but.... he has nowhere near been as bad as people make out. He’s been in and out which won’t have helped. I honestly think with a run in the side which he could get with Palmer being injured he can discover the form he previously showed at hull and Brentford.

Think he would be a more natural wing back but as there is very little chance of us playing that think we should get behind him and see how he can get better ala Palmer and Fox

Perhaps use him as right wing back in a 3-5-2, with Reach on the other side.

Use Iorfa as the right hand side CB with Borner and Lees/Hutch as centre and left. That gives us an opportunity to get three in the centre of midfield.

7 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Only 2 of Odubajo's 53 appearances for Hull and 18 of his 84 appearances for Brentford were on the right wing.

It's not a bad idea to use him as a winger perhaps, but given Palmer's injury, we may well need him in his usual right-back berth before we try him in midfield.

Quite why he's struggled for any kind of consistent form since joining us, I don't know, but he played 43 games at right-back when Hull won promotion to the Premier League under Bruce, so he's certainly got the pedigree.  

When Hull won that playoff they had 2 very experienced, solid and vocal cb's. He had Dawson who was a very vocal leader and organiser to constantly keep him in position and his concentration level up. 

We unfortunately don't have a right cb with those attributes, Lees is good focusing on his own game, likewise iorfa. Neither are really capable of communicating and commanding a back four. 

4 minutes ago, Animis said:

Perhaps use him as right wing back in a 3-5-2, with Reach on the other side.

Use Iorfa as the right hand side CB with Borner and Lees/Hutch as centre and left. That gives us an opportunity to get three in the centre of midfield.

I'd be interested to to see this team sometime, with Harris drifting into wide positions either side.

Not sure on playing Hutchinson with 3 centrebacks though, but maybe having 3 centrebacks will actually push him further up, Iorfa and Borner can both bring the ball out from defence.

First areas to improve for this formation would be Odubajo and Winnall, although Fletcher is more than good enough if not injured.

Then an attacking left wingback, and Reach can play in centre midfield sometimes too.

Fox can be an option at centreback, Hutchinson too.

Dawson

Iorfa       Lees        Borner

Odubajo                                                  Reach

Luongo Hutchinson Bannan

Winnall     Harris

34 minutes ago, fingyfop said:

I'd be interested to to see this team sometime, with Harris drifting into wide positions either side.

Not sure on playing Hutchinson with 3 centrebacks though, but maybe having 3 centrebacks will actually push him further up, Iorfa and Borner can both bring the ball out from defence.

First areas to improve for this formation would be Odubajo and Winnall, although Fletcher is more than good enough if not injured.

Then an attacking left wingback, and Reach can play in centre midfield sometimes too.

Fox can be an option at centreback, Hutchinson too.

Dawson

Iorfa       Lees        Borner

Odubajo                                                  Reach

Luongo Hutchinson Bannan

Winnall     Harris

I didn't think Lees ever looked comfortable in a three, maybe Hutchinson would be better in the centre of iorfa and borner? 

We know he was a cb by trade origionwlly and hes far more comfortable with the ball at feet than lees is. 

Tom is a very solid and capable defender, but suits a back four better. 

1 minute ago, shezzas left peg said:

I didn't think Lees ever looked comfortable in a three, maybe Hutchinson would be better in the centre of iorfa and borner? 

We know he was a cb by trade origionwlly and hes far more comfortable with the ball at feet than lees is. 

Tom is a very solid and capable defender, but suits a back four better. 

This ^^^ Plus what in God’s name makes people think that Reach would be an effective wing back? I know the job entails getting forward, but you also have to be able to tackle, and he can’t Also, his wide play isn’t the classic style of wide play you need from a wing back, he’s a bit stop start. Looking at that line up, aside from the midfield three,the only one it suits is Odubajo

Guest wilyfox

Hasn't recaptured his Hull form. Whether he čan or not, time will tell. Conceding 3 pens this season won't help his confidence, but what I really didn't like was the boy Doughty running him ragged at Charlton. Moses' experience should have eased him through that game against a kid making his champ debut. The lad had him on toast. 

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

This is the major issue, isn't it? He's been capable of so much more than we're currently seeing.

Perhaps the injury has had a permanent impact?

Possibly mental rather than physical. It wasn't just that he had a single injury for which he was out for almost 2 years, it was a serious of setbacks in which the original injury just seemed to be exacerbated. It would be somewhat understandable if he's still playing within himself out of fear of getting injured again.

Awful since he signed  - why we’d want to shoe  horn him into a wing position god knows.

we should be trying to find somewhere to move him onto.

I would play a three at the back and have Odubajo and Reach as wingbacks / wide midfielders

Dawson.  

Iorfa.    Lees.   Börner

Odubajo.                                    Reach.  

Lee.      Luongo.     Bannan. 

Fletcher.      Winnall.     

Lots of options on the bench...

Harris

Murphy

FF

Fox

Hutch

Nuhiu
Westwood