EFL Statement

36 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

This. Clubs had the choice in investing in youth, infrastructure, cheaper tickets, and the community.

Instead they spunked it on overpaid jokers like our Joey who can't even take a corner.

If you gave me 20k and I spent it on hookers and booze, I might enjoy it, but I wouldn't get away with blaming you.

It’s all cliches though!

”Investing in youth” ?  You can invest in an academy and you may get a couple of players come through in a few years if you’re lucky. 

Do you think the average fan is going to wear that?

”Infrastructure”?   Do you mean things like giant scoreboards & a pitch that doesn’t resemble a cabbage patch, that sort of thing?

Eric Taylor cropped up recently on here. Get hold of a spiritualist & ask him what your average Wednesday fan thinks about spending on the ground?

As for cheaper tickets, mine averages out about £15 a throw as I remember, so any cheaper they’d be paying me to rock up,

Ad for the “ Community’, let the fuc**n clowns who steal a living pretending to run a council sort “the community”.  We’re not quite Man City just yet.

Getting there, but still a bit to do!:laugh:

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Sky put the money in...it was up to the clubs how they used it...I remember Sky saying at one point , the money going in would would offset ticket prices for football fans who attended games, to offset armchair fans....didn't happen
Was that down to Sky or greedy football clubs?..the latter I reckon

This is exactly how it should be.

Yet clubs fleece the supporters more than ever. Ticket prices through the roof, over priced kits, food and drink that you wouldn't give the cat costing 10 times what it should be etc etc etc 

The money goes to players, managers, coaches, assistant water bottle passers, agents etc etc etc 

Then they over spend and its the supporters who have to pick up the pieces

THIS is what the EFL, FA, Premier League SHOULD be looking into!

6 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

That stat sums up English football.

Run by grubby fiddlers from the FL to the Chairmen.

But it will get ignored, nobody will give it air time because nobody wants to realise what the games become 

If it wasn’t for Wednesday I honestly wouldn’t have an interest in the game 

3 minutes ago, torres said:

not sure of your point?

Bury were ran incompetently.

Should Apple have bailed out Woolworths?

By an owner that passed the EFL fit and proper person test,  Isn’t this FFP charade put in place to protect clubs ? Why isn’t there owt in place to protect clubs like bury ? And Bolton who the EFL are looking to punish even further for absolutely no reason whatsoever 

Relegated prem clubs get failure payments to help them survive, but there’s nowt anywhere for a club like bury ?  

say again , Game stinks 

Just now, Royal_D said:

By an owner that passed the EFL fit and proper person test,  Isn’t this FFP charade put in place to protect clubs ? Why isn’t there owt in place to protect clubs like bury ? And Bolton who the EFL are looking to punish even further for absolutely no reason whatsoever 

Relegated prem clubs get failure payments to help them survive, but there’s nowt anywhere for a club like bury ?  

say again , Game stinks 

Bury over spent  - they paid the ultimate price. Horrible situation for the fans, the people running club were complete idiots 

What do you do though without making it like a nursery  - do the league keep hold of all monies and you have to ask them  - like you would your dad for pocket money 

I agree something needs to be done as chairmen are killing the game 

4 minutes ago, torres said:

Bury over spent  - they paid the ultimate price. Horrible situation for the fans, the people running club were complete idiots 

What do you do though without making it like a nursery  - do the league keep hold of all monies and you have to ask them  - like you would your dad for pocket money 

That’s essentially what happened at Bury though. They withheld payments and then kicked them out of the league.

The EFL only get involved when they can keep their hands clean. They’re happy to put up hurdles to punish outside money like Chansiri’s, but they won’t step in if he decides to wind the club up. 

3 minutes ago, torres said:

Did bury overspend or were they just victim to cowboy owners ?

Steve Dale and Stewart Day should never have been allowed control of an EFL club,  who is it that’s got a fit and proper persona test in place  ?   Oh yeh , the EFL 

Its arguable but we couldnt have got relegated at much worse a time. For those that remember it, not only were we already over reaching our finances we thought there would be a relatively soft landing with ITV Digital, which disappeared. So no parachute payments, no other significant TV money and already burdened financially. Not to mention a squad of players that werent up for a fight to get promoted unlike the previous time. No wonder we have been languishing for so long. Its even more frustrating when you see what Leicester, Soton and Palace have done in the period since we got relegated.

Its not gonna change...

Football fans for the most part are as selfish as the clubs they follow.

Look at us on here...can't go 3 posts without falling out with each other, and we follow the same team FFS!.

A few years ago, man City fans would have been moaning like we are. about money, selfish clubs , wages , unfairness..now?

"SCHTUM!!"

The tribalism that English football has always had debars any sort of co-ordinated fans group, it actually works against the majority of football fans, cos we don't really like each other...its a bit laughable, but it is what it is.

One month of football fans staying away each Saturday would sort it....4 matches each..f.ook 'em...

Liverpool fans?.."nah...premiership"

City fans.."nah Champions league"

...Any club with any chance of going up..."maybe next year"

Make 'm play in an empty stadium...we're halfway there!

Never happen... We have hope football simply explodes...problem is its "pass the letterbomb" and we happen to be holding the f.ooker at the minute

58 minutes ago, alanharper said:

They were devised so that clubs who get relegated can continue to operate and pay their wage bills despite the reduced income from not being in the PL. They were only introduced in 2006 after many clubs (naturally, we were one of them) previously suffered financially because they couldn't offload the big money players.

This is why if a club gets promoted whilst still in receipt of parachute payments they stop because they're going back to the huge PL income..

I don't really agree with the logic of it tho. They were bought in because clubs were spending way beyond their means in a gamble to stay up. To then create parachute payments to get them off the hook for being reckless seems stupid to me. You reap what you sow and all that. If you want to spend beyond your means, you risk paying the price. Parachute payments just prop up these opportunist owners who want to gamble with peoples clubs.

There must be a better way to do it, something that punishes the people running the clubs badly rather than supporting their behaviour.

3 hours ago, jerseyowl said:

Parachute payments are effectively premier league prize money that a club is due the season they are relegated in.

The money is not given in full, like it would if you finished out the bottom 3, but instead the amount is then paid over 4 seasons in differing amounts.

So I struggle to see the reasoning behind why it shouldn't be allowed, the club in question have earnt it after all.

The real issue at hand is the amount of money generated by the EFL and the massive disparity between the EFL and that generated by the premier league.

I am not sure that's right. I was of the belief that a club got their PL payment for the season in which they were relegated then received 55% of the full amount the 1st season after relegation, 40% the 2nd season and 20% of the full amount in the 3rd season if they had more than 1 season in the PL.

Take this article about Huddersfield, it references Middlesbrough and states they got £100.6M in the season they were relegated and less than £50M the season after.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/how-much-huddersfield-town-earn-16059217

1 hour ago, Royal_D said:

Man City made £535m , meanwhile Bury gone to wall over what ? Few mill ?   

Game Stinks 

Is that the Man City that ‘gifted’ their old training ground to Bury, for nothing, only for Bury to effectively trash it?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-evict-bury-fc-16509443.amp

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
27 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I am not sure that's right. I was of the belief that a club got their PL payment for the season in which they were relegated then received 55% of the full amount the 1st season after relegation, 40% the 2nd season and 20% of the full amount in the 3rd season if they had more than 1 season in the PL.

Take this article about Huddersfield, it references Middlesbrough and states they got £100.6M in the season they were relegated and less than £50M the season after.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/how-much-huddersfield-town-earn-16059217

Think that’s how it works.. and why it doesn’t work. First point is that if you compare the wage bills of the bottom 6 in the prem who the relegated teams usually come from, and the wage bills of the teams near the top of the championship there’s not much in it. Wouldn’t be surprised if our wage bill is still higher than the pigs and Norwich right now.

So why do teams need cash to soften the blow when they come down. Then you consider that generally teams that come down cut costs, they release players on a free and sell off their better players who don’t want to drop out of the prem.

Ok, they might have a few players who are their equivalent of Jordan Rhodes who they can’t shift on big wages.. but doubt that costs anywhere near the £50m they get that supposedly is there to pay that. That means it’s basically a transfer kitty and wages, plus gets them out of FFP too.. and it ruins the competition 

The obvious solution would be to just take the parachute money, aggregate it and split it 24 ways between all the teams in the division. That’s probably £10-15m a season per club.. then get rid of FFP or make it that you can’t lose anything which is basically the equivalent of a wage cap. Would sort most of the issues out overnight but the premier league clubs will kick off. EFL should just grow a pair and say these are our rules and we won’t admit teams to the league unless they agree to it 

11 minutes ago, vulva said:

Is that the Man City that ‘gifted’ their old training ground to Bury, for nothing, only for Bury to effectively trash it?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-evict-bury-fc-16509443.amp

Yeah hands up I didn’t know nothing about that, the only thing I would say is how much of that was down to a man who should never have been given the green light to own an EFL club in Steve Dale , aside from that fair enough I didn’t know Man City had done that 

Still think should be far more protection from the EFL, and the amount of money in the game ... come on we shouldn’t be seeing clubs going to the wall