The Offside Rule

11 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

hmm

now I read that I feel less certain it was offside

distracting? Yes

obstructing line of vision? not when it came over the wall into Dawson’s like of vision...

never a free kick, Dawson got old-manned and positioned himself incorrectly as a result

not sure about offside now.

rubbish …….the wall covers one side and the keeper covers the other . the ball went in the bottom corner on the walls side ..how can that be dawsons fault ?

4 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

So you think Dawson's positioning was spot on?

No he was slightly too far to the left, but he was only too far left because he was trying to look round the Muppet found star jumps.

They said it after the match, or players are too accepting of decisions. Only Dawson went to the lino after the goal. It should have been our entire team kicking off. Other teams do it and the extra pressure works 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, agentwalker said:

No he was slightly too far to the left, but he was only too far left because he was trying to look round the Muppet found star jumps.

They said it after the match, or players are too accepting of decisions. Only Dawson went to the lino after the goal. It should have been our entire team kicking off. Other teams do it and the extra pressure works 

Naivety from Dawson he should have gone straight up to the referee and made a point of it instead of playing into their hands and leaving a massive amount of space.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

So you think Dawson's positioning was spot on?

I think dawson was in the position that hes coached to be in ......he can only stand where he can see the ball . if he stands behind the wall whats the point of the wall ..... 

6 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I think dawson was in the position that hes coached to be in ......he can only stand where he can see the ball . if he stands behind the wall whats the point of the wall ..... 

He should be stood slightly left or right of centre the fact that Tomlin just chipped the ball into the bottom corner shows how poor his positioning was Flint wanted him to move all the way to his left that's why he was stood 10 yards offside doing star jumps blocking his view... A bit of naivety from Dawson unfortunately.

Edited by s6 owl
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

Naivety from Dawson he should have gone straight up to the referee and made a point of it instead of playing into their hands and leaving a massive amount of space.

are you for real ? the blokes about to take the free kick and you want the keeper to approach the ref  saying there someone stood in front of me .....that would go down well with the manager and goalie coach as he chipped it into the empty net .

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

are you for real ? the blokes about to take the free kick and you want the keeper to approach the ref  saying there someone stood in front of me .....that would go down well with the manager and goalie coach as he chipped it into the empty net .

Yes because that is what would happen wouldn't it? lol he spent a bit of time barking at the linesman so he obviously knew about it, he should have been stronger do you think Westwood would have allowed that to happen?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Colinwestzicoest said:

In the PL every player would have surrounded the ref. Our boys definitely made the mistake of not backing up Dawson quickly. These players need to realise that these decisions are potentially worth millions to the club, players realise this in the premier league & that's also why VAR has been brought in. As we don't have VAR yet in the championship they need to surround the ref on mass when such ludicrous decisions are being made. 

Warnock’s Rotherham players got a legitimate goal overturned at Hillsborough by surrounding the linesmen.

6 minutes ago, marconi said:

Warnock’s Rotherham players got a legitimate goal overturned at Hillsborough by surrounding the linesmen.

The majority of referees are weak minded and people like Warnock know it and set their teams up to exploit it where as we don't we just seem to role over and accept every decision no matter how costly it is.

28 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

Yes because that is what would happen wouldn't it? lol he spent a bit of time barking at the linesman so he obviously knew about it, he should have been stronger do you think Westwood would have allowed that to happen?

No Westwood wouldn’t have allowed it to happen because he got injured in the warm up......a bit like he did at Bristol City a few years ago.....Spot the connection 

6 hours ago, McRightSide said:

distracting? Yes

obstructing line of vision? not when it came over the wall into Dawson’s like of vision...

not sure about offside now.

Here's Dawson's line of vision when the free-kick was taken:

EHMC95WWsAAr4Xp.thumb.jpeg.2be6313880553a0a50fe77ee4ea18b74.jpeg

It's not even up for debate, he's in his direct line of vision to the ball. If he was standing perfectly still I can just about understand the goal being given (even though I don't think it should be), but jumping around like he was makes a complete mockery of the game.

Not being funny, but I thought unsporting behaviour used to be a bookable offence.

• Thanks 3

Watching it live was quite strange. I wasn’t that annoyed when the ball hit the back of the net because I was 100% sure it was offside and it was so blatant I thought the officials couldn’t miss it.

Then 10 seconds later I was pissed ifc. Too the sky commentators a while to pick up on it too. I’ve also no idea why when the linesman can clearly see he’s 5 yards off he doesn’t give it. Hate players doing it but everyone needed to join Dawson in appealing.

Awful officiating yet again to what is a damn obvious decision. 

• Thanks 2

The fact that we have Wednesday fans blaming Dawson for his positioning; for standing in his goal rather than vacating it to speak to the ref as a freekick is about to be taken; or for simply not being Kieran Westwood, rather than blaming the incompetent officials who failed to notice the 6ft 6in centre back doing an aerobics class a few metres behind our wall in order to prevent our 'keeper being able to see the ball, is baffling.

Cardiff cheated - and admitted as much in their post-match interviews; the officials enabled them to cheat: point the finger at them rather than the only Wednesday player who actually tried to prevent them profiting from their antics.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dan™ said:

Here's Dawson's line of vision when the free-kick was taken:

EHMC95WWsAAr4Xp.thumb.jpeg.2be6313880553a0a50fe77ee4ea18b74.jpeg

It's not even up for debate, he's in his direct line of vision to the ball. If he was standing perfectly still I can just about understand the goal being given (even though I don't think it should be), but jumping around like he was makes a complete mockery of the game.

Not being funny, but I thought unsporting behaviour used to be a bookable offence.

Show it when the ball is kicked

If Flint isn’t there can he then use his x-ray vision to see through the wall?

Also, to be the line of vision the ball would have to follow that line...

where is Flint stood and where does the ball go over the wall?

where does it go in the goal?

if you answer those questions honestly you can see why it wasn’t offside according to the offside laws

like I said, first I was certain it was offside, then I saw the line of vision part.

Edited by McRightSide

5 hours ago, torryowl said:

he was...

and then he moved

you stand in the middle for a free kick from that position

very simple 

Dawson even started off in the right place until Flint old-manned him

9 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Show it when the ball is kicked

If Flint isn’t there can he then use his x-ray vision to see through the wall?

Also, to be the line of vision the ball would have to follow that line...

where is Flint stood and where does the ball go over the wall?

is Flint stood, jumping of crouching when the ball is kicked.

if you answer those questions honestly you can see why it wasn’t offside according to the offside laws

like I said, first I was certain it was offside, then I saw the line of vision part.

To be fair, this is a load of nonsense and I can't believe I'm about to bite.

It doesn't matter whether Dawson had x-ray vision or not, nor whether Flint is stood up, crouched or being fellated by the referee when the ball is kicked. He's stood in an "offside position", that's not up for debate.

What is up for debate is whether he is "interfering with play", which is course he is; it was obvious at the time and it was admitted after the event - he was there to make a nuisance of himself.

In what way is he, in his own words, making a nuisance of himself? There were 11 Sheffield Wednesday players on the pitch, ten of whom were further advanced up the pitch than Flint and looking away from him. There was one Sheffield Wednesday player who he was directly in the eyeline of, doing star jumps.

The player Flint was distracting and getting in the eyeline of is the player in the position which most relies on reflexes and reaction time, slowing that reaction time down by even a single tenth of a second is the difference between a goal and a save.

Whether the ball ultimately follows Dawson's line of vision or not is not totally irrelevant, so you do kind of have a point, however it's the opposite point to the one you are trying to make. If the ball follows Dawson's line of vision (as interfered with by Flint) then he makes a comfortable save whether or not Flint is there, but it doesn't, the angle of the ball means that Dawson needs to make quick lateral movements to get across his goal and make the save. His movements are slowed down, his reaction time is shortened by virtue of Flint blocking his view.

Saying Flint isn't interfering because the ball doesn't follow Dawson's line of sight is like saying the pillars on the Kop don't obstruct your view unless the ball lands at your seat.

Going back to your snarky content about x-ray vision allowing him to see through the wall, again you counter your own point. The wall massively blocks the goalkeepers view, but it's placed there to reduce the opportunity for the free kick taker to score - he can no longer drill the ball into the corner, he'll have to float it around or over the wall. Hopefully the keeper will react to the 'softer' shot and be able to save it. Once built the wall doesn't move, it doesn't do star jumps or duck. If it was a wall of Cardiff players (and it had no defensive player between it and the goalkeeper / last line of defence) it'd be 1000% offside as a result of blocking the goalkeepers view, but it's not, it's a defensive wall built by Wednesday. What isn't a defensive wall built by Wednesday is Flint, stood in an offside position and interfering with play.

He's offside, plain and simple.

• Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, Binky Griptite said:

To be fair, this is a load of nonsense and I can't believe I'm about to bite.

It doesn't matter whether Dawson had x-ray vision or not, nor whether Flint is stood up, crouched or being fellated by the referee when the ball is kicked. He's stood in an "offside position", that's not up for debate.

What is up for debate is whether he is "interfering with play", which is course he is; it was obvious at the time and it was admitted after the event - he was there to make a nuisance of himself.

In what way is he, in his own words, making a nuisance of himself? There were 11 Sheffield Wednesday players on the pitch, ten of whom were further advanced up the pitch than Flint and looking away from him. There was one Sheffield Wednesday player who he was directly in the eyeline of, doing star jumps.

The player Flint was distracting and getting in the eyeline of is the player in the position which most relies on reflexes and reaction time, slowing that reaction time down by even a single tenth of a second is the difference between a goal and a save.

Whether the ball ultimately follows Dawson's line of vision or not is not totally irrelevant, so you do kind of have a point, however it's the opposite point to the one you are trying to make. If the ball follows Dawson's line of vision (as interfered with by Flint) then he makes a comfortable save whether or not Flint is there, but it doesn't, the angle of the ball means that Dawson needs to make quick lateral movements to get across his goal and make the save. His movements are slowed down, his reaction time is shortened by virtue of Flint blocking his view.

Saying Flint isn't interfering because the ball doesn't follow Dawson's line of sight is like saying the pillars on the Kop don't obstruct your view unless the ball lands at your seat.

Going back to your snarky content about x-ray vision allowing him to see through the wall, again you counter your own point. The wall massively blocks the goalkeepers view, but it's placed there to reduce the opportunity for the free kick taker to score - he can no longer drill the ball into the corner, he'll have to float it around or over the wall. Hopefully the keeper will react to the 'softer' shot and be able to save it. Once built the wall doesn't move, it doesn't do star jumps or duck. If it was a wall of Cardiff players (and it had no defensive player between it and the goalkeeper / last line of defence) it'd be 1000% offside as a result of blocking the goalkeepers view, but it's not, it's a defensive wall built by Wednesday. What isn't a defensive wall built by Wednesday is Flint, stood in an offside position and interfering with play.

He's offside, plain and simple.

Line of vision. all that matters

Someone draw a red line of the ball

Edited by McRightSide