The Offside Rule

13 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'd love to hear the referee and linesman try to justify their decision.

The fact that such blatant errors can be allowed to influence the league table is making a mockery of the game, and allowing officials to shy away from explaining their decisions or holding their hands up to mistakes isn't helping the situation.

Tonight's refereeing was shambolic.

borderline cheating? or borderline cheating with the 'borderline' removed?

6 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Because of where Flint is stood Dawson cannot see the ball at the time it is kicked.

How can that not be obstructing his line of vision?

If people are trying to say that the actually line of vision was eg a foot to the side of Flint , then are you seriously saying the officials could see that and took it into account . 
Under , even the current rules Flint was interfering with play, and I guarantee you he will not be allowed to do it again 

because the wall was also in the way.

14 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

if that’s the law then fair enough and I can go back to my original opinion of it being offside.

as I mentioned a couple of times, I was judging the new opinion on the OP

Thanks.

So perhaps we can both agree:-

Just another set of incompetent "Sh!t" officials.lol

What gets me is how did Warnock think they could get away with this?

Clearly something they've been working on.

But virtually everyone thinks it was offside, blatantly so.

So why practice a routine that is almost certainly not going to be allowed. Imagine a perfect freekick into the bottom corner disallowed due to the centre half doing exercises in an offside position. Cardiff must have been confident it was going to stand. Why?

Conspiracy theorists would say the ref was bunged a few quid.

Or maybe Warnock spoke to the ref before the match, told him the plan, and the ref said no problem. 

Cardiff knew the goal was going to stand. 

Either the ref is bent or seriously incompetent. Not just a mistake in the heat of the moment, but a mistake with time to think about it in advance.

Id like there to be a more innocent explanation, but I can't come up with one.

• Like 2

The main reason Flint will be stopped from doing it in future is that the league will be worried that everybody will start doing it.

Can you imagine the chaos if say 50% of all free kicks around that kind of area had somebody doing that.

It would be impossible to officiate it on a case by case basis, so they will just say you can’t do it 

People often do the same as Flint did when the goalie is lining up the wall, but usually they drop back just before the kick is struck, so as not to be offside.

I guess the new law about opposing players not being able to join the defensive wall played a role in him being a bit deeper. But still, after all, a very basic error from the linesman and ref.

12 hours ago, McRightSide said:

hmm

now I read that I feel less certain it was offside

distracting? Yes

obstructing line of vision? not when it came over the wall into Dawson’s like of vision...

never a free kick, Dawson got old-manned and positioned himself incorrectly as a result

not sure about offside now.

It was text book definition of offside 

14 hours ago, Dan™ said:

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

• preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision

After that catastrophe of a decision today, I can only imagine that you must need to stand behind the goalkeeper with your hands over his eyes for this clause to come into effect.

How "clearly" does it have to be? He was doing jumping jacks ffs!

Added to that Flints own explanation was that he " just got in the keepers way ".

54 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

The main reason Flint will be stopped from doing it in future is that the league will be worried that everybody will start doing it.

Can you imagine the chaos if say 50% of all free kicks around that kind of area had somebody doing that.

It would be impossible to officiate it on a case by case basis, so they will just say you can’t do it 

If 1 player is allowed to do what flint did what's to stop another team having 3 or 4 people doing the same thing  ?.

7 minutes ago, sage owl said:

If 1 player is allowed to do what flint did what's to stop another team having 3 or 4 people doing the same thing  ?.

This is a good point - what if Cardiff simply lined up a second wall 5 yds behind our wall, essentially where Flint was stood, and did the same thing as Flint. My opinion is the officials would have ruled offside. 

The offside law isn't about numbers of players offside, it only needs 1 player. Therefore, Flint was offside - no other explanation, and SWFC need the EFL to fully explain and comment to ensure we and other teams understand where we stand. If not, as has been said, other teams will do the same.

• Thanks 1

But would VAR have changed anything? I don't think a single player has been sent off for an off the ball not spotted by the refs in the Prem this season. And the ref and lino knew Flint was offside, and VAR can't make them change their decision. All they would do is confirm that Flint was offside - but their incorrect interpretation of the offside law would stand.