The Offside Rule

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

• preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision

After that catastrophe of a decision today, I can only imagine that you must need to stand behind the goalkeeper with your hands over his eyes for this clause to come into effect.

How "clearly" does it have to be? He was doing jumping jacks ffs!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

I'd love to hear the referee and linesman try to justify their decision.

The fact that such blatant errors can be allowed to influence the league table is making a mockery of the game, and allowing officials to shy away from explaining their decisions or holding their hands up to mistakes isn't helping the situation.

Tonight's refereeing was shambolic.

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'd love to hear the referee and linesman try to justify their decision.

The fact that such blatant errors can be allowed to influence the league table is making a mockery of the game, and allowing officials to shy away from explaining their decisions or holding their hands up to mistakes isn't helping the situation.

Tonight's refereeing was shambolic.

VAR would have disallowed it straight away .

• Like 2

it wasn't even marginal - it was like both officials forgot the rules for a moment.

I'm sure Monk will include this into his report and the official's monitor will have to pick this up. I imagine we'll hear more of this matter as it could have wider consequences if teams think they can get away with it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

I mean, I think it should be given offside but it seemed like such a blatant and deliberate tactic that I suspect it might be allowable somehow.

Flint said in the post-match interview that they've done it multiple times in the past, he literally admitted himself that his intention was to obscure the vision of the goalkeeper.

In fact, while this is probably not entirely against the rules, you can see him purposely blocking Cameron's vision while he's trying to line up the wall too. It's more than a bit shady, but nothing less than you expect from a Warnock team; push every rule to its limit and cry like a b*tch when an official calls it against you.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

It’s not as if he was being sly ....

He did a flipping STAR jump!!!

even Arsene Wenger would have seen it. 

AND ducked just in case the ball would hit him!

29 minutes ago, Animis said:

it wasn't even marginal - it was like both officials forgot the rules for a moment.

I'm sure Monk will include this into his report and the official's monitor will have to pick this up. I imagine we'll hear more of this matter as it could have wider consequences if teams think they can get away with it.

Colin said it was practiced in training as teams do it to them:ohmy:

Just now, 4evaowl said:

The refs will look at that (as it was so blatant) and that will get flagged offside 100% of the time from now on.

The fact that both Flint and Warnock said it was a deliberate ploy to distract the keeper means the game’s up on this from now on.

Yep refs will tell them before the game that if they do it they will be given offside.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, oldtawnyowl said:

Oh, come on, be reasonable.

• You can't expect the officials to know all the rules, can youWTF:

Well none of the ones we get seem to.:wacko:

There is 17 laws to the game with 6 about the playing area players kit size of the ball & duration of the game. These supposedly level 1 referees cant apply the correct laws even though they are professionals. I have honestly seen better interpretation from level 8 under 16 refs on a Sunday morning

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

VAR would have disallowed it straight away .

I agree it was a blatant offside, but not sure VAR would have disallowed it.

VAR can only tell the ref if he was stood offside or not. But I'm assuming the ref and lino knew he was offside (because it was so bloody obvious). But they for some reason decided that the guy doing star jumps in front of the keeper wasn't interfering in play.

I mean its possible the 2 minute stoppage would have allowed them some time to ponder and realise what a humiliating mistake they had made and given them an opportunity to back down. But just as likely that they would have stuck with their original decision - yes, we saw him, but we are ignoring him.

1 hour ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

It’s not as if he was being sly ....

He did a flipping STAR jump!!!

even Arsene Wenger would have seen it. 

Where does this stuff stop?  By the officials interpretation of the rules an opposition can stand directly in front of the keeper and as long as he doesn't touch the ball it's okay.  Why not three of them?   Crap decision and totally wrong. 

14 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

That goal wouldn’t have been allowed in the Premier League

In the PL every player would have surrounded the ref. Our boys definitely made the mistake of not backing up Dawson quickly. These players need to realise that these decisions are potentially worth millions to the club, players realise this in the premier league & that's also why VAR has been brought in. As we don't have VAR yet in the championship they need to surround the ref on mass when such ludicrous decisions are being made. 

• Like 2

It makes you wonder if referees are sponsored by sky bet to give more free kicks & decisions to certain teams as you can bet on more or less anything in games these days.Sky ploughs that much money into the game maybe they are trying to claw some back through match fixing lol 

2 hours ago, Dan™ said:

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

• preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision

After that catastrophe of a decision today, I can only imagine that you must need to stand behind the goalkeeper with your hands over his eyes for this clause to come into effect.

How "clearly" does it have to be? He was doing jumping jacks ffs!

hmm

now I read that I feel less certain it was offside

distracting? Yes

obstructing line of vision? not when it came over the wall into Dawson’s like of vision...

never a free kick, Dawson got old-manned and positioned himself incorrectly as a result

not sure about offside now.

I'm all for VAR but after watching the rugby I believe what would massively help the game is to introduce the open Mic with the referee. At least then we can all understand the thought process. Are they checking with the other officials? etc.

For me this would not only keep the refs from acting bent it would also make the players respect them more as they know everything is being broadcast.

Something like this

I'm stick of all this covering the mouths when talking.

Edited by agentwalker