The Offside Rule

8 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

But would VAR have changed anything? I don't think a single player has been sent off for an off the ball not spotted by the refs in the Prem this season. And the ref and lino knew Flint was offside, and VAR can't make them change their decision. All they would do is confirm that Flint was offside - but their incorrect interpretation of the offside law would stand.

I think the key phase is 'interfering with play' under the offside law. Simply stood offside, isn't necessarily offside.

I can only assume the ref and lino thought Flint wasn't interfering with play; as you say, they must have known Flint was stood in an offside position but simply disregarded this point.

12 hours ago, torryowl said:

are you for real ? the blokes about to take the free kick and you want the keeper to approach the ref  saying there someone stood in front of me .....that would go down well with the manager and goalie coach as he chipped it into the empty net .

That's not far off what actually happened I'm afraid.

7 hours ago, McRightSide said:

he was...

and then he moved

you stand in the middle for a free kick from that position

very simple 

Dawson even started off in the right place until Flint old-manned him

You really don't. The wall is supposed to protect one side of the goal. You stand off centre to favour the uncovered side. Most times the wall stops the ball, if it's bent over the wall it generally scores but it's difficult to do so the odds are in the keepers favour.

Even if were not going for flint being offside I thought they had changed the rules about the opposition having players in and around the wall and they had to be a meter away, yet last night they stuck a man ether on the end off or infront of the wall time and time again

13 minutes ago, prowl said:

You really don't. The wall is supposed to protect one side of the goal. You stand off centre to favour the uncovered side. Most times the wall stops the ball, if it's bent over the wall it generally scores but it's difficult to do so the odds are in the keepers favour.

Yes you do. 

Just because the wall is there you don’t neglect one side, you cover the left and give yourself an opportunity on the right. That’s not to say you gamble on the right, you react.

With where he was positioned, he gave himself no chance

He’s a tall and very agile keeper. Positioned correctly I reckon he might have saved it

We’re failing Dawson at the moment.

He’s not good enough to play at this standard and gets shown up too often. Needs to go out on loan in January and play week in week out at the highest level he can get the opportunity - whether it’s League 1 or National League doesn’t matter.

His lack of games is overriding his potential atm IMO.

I do think he can play at this level in future - he’s got the ingredients...but we’re failing him using him in this way

Edited by McRightSide

29 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

the wall.

do you always immediately forget what you posted?

No, obviously, but I don’t understand why you’d be pointing out that the wall wasn’t offside. That’s why I’m searching for some further meaning that would merit you making such an obvious point.

3 hours ago, flo said:

Have you got a picture when it was actually taken because he's not even started his run up there. 

It was just a picture I nabbed off the Cardiff forum, where even they were all saying it should never have been allowed. I don't think it should matter that it's a few seconds before it was taken though, it's not like you should be allowed to distract the GK for the 60 seconds leading up to the free kick as long as you walk away half a second before it's kicked.

Still, someone else has just posted an image from just before it was kicked and it looks even worse. You can see Dawson is having to peer to his left to look around him, it 100% affected his reaction to dive the other way.

Edited by Dan™

The goal should not have stood, but Dawson's positioning was poor. I understand they hope the wall protects one side of the goal but he was way off centre and gave himself no chance. I remember Hart doing the same for England, can't remember who they were playing.

17 hours ago, Animis said:

it wasn't even marginal - it was like both officials forgot the rules for a moment.

I'm sure Monk will include this into his report and the official's monitor will have to pick this up. I imagine we'll hear more of this matter as it could have wider consequences if teams think they can get away with it.

And I am sure the FA will do FA with any comments made. Games a joke. Hopefully wanknock will do us all a favour and shuffle off soon.

As someone said, Dawson was wary.

The free kick was obviously going the other side..could see it mile off. If the free kick had gone in to dawsons left, it wouldn't have been given.

Should have known it was aimed at his right.

It was bang obvious, the way he lined up.

Dawson should have been over to the right..or at least pretend to cover the left side..wait for the run and then imediately cover his right.

Yep, he has to trust the officials if the shot goes to his left, if it had, simple os.

17 hours ago, McRightSide said:

hmm

now I read that I feel less certain it was offside

distracting? Yes

obstructing line of vision? not when it came over the wall into Dawson’s like of vision...

never a free kick, Dawson got old-manned and positioned himself incorrectly as a result

not sure about offside now.

Line of sight is between Dawson and the ball. It doesn't matter where the ball goes but the moment the striker's foot touches the ball, Flint is active if the keeper is unsighted. They are Laws btw...not rules :)

Just asked main controlor for all referees in Croatia, and he said that goal is fine. Said that it would be offside if ball went over player's head as to obstruct keepers view. I don't agree, but this guy is expert so I guess he knows what he is talking about.

We should absolutely do it if we get a similar free kick in the televised game against Leeds, to continue to expose this farce on live TV.

Jumping around like Flint did was ungentlemanly conduct come what may, and that's not even considering whether he was offside or interfering.