Play someone next to fletcher ffs

5 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

Fulham have a £40m forward line and creative midfield, had we been more open it could have been 0-3 before halftime and then people would have complained we were too open.  Can’t win at this manager lark 

Problem is people look at result and how that could be improved but disregard what they did to achieve it. Maybe they did everything they could to get it and “just playing two up front” for example would have ended up with a much worse result to try to improve...

We cannot play the one up front system, not with Fletcher, he's a very good player but not the type to play on his own.  Another thing, we can't do the quick break either.  We faff about till all the opposition defenders get back so on both counts we need to change things and be more attack minded.

I think Monk wants to play 4-4-2. Fulham was an ex emotion because of their 3 in midfield. Plus, although he scored at Huddersfield, we can’t be sure whether Winnall is up to a full game yet. 

Fulham had control of the ball for large periods yesterday, but we had all the best chances so tactically he didn’t do too bad. However, it was frustrating to watch at times.

20 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

Fulham have a £40m forward line and creative midfield, had we been more open it could have been 0-3 before halftime and then people would have complained we were too open.  Can’t win at this manager lark 

Two shots on target is all they managed for 70% possession. Fulhams fans not happy and want Parker out, Given they spent £200 M last summer and £20m on a  striker , this time , I think Monk got the tactics spot on, we had by far the clearer chances and more of them.

I don't think there's a fan in the ground who wouldn't like to see  4-4-2 with two old fashioned wingers bombing on and a big man little man partnership up top.  

But needs must.

Too wide open against Fulham and we could have got walloped. 

I think Monk likes two up to be honest. But I think he got his tactics absolutley spot on yesterday.  

They're further down the line of what they are doing than we are and they have some top quality players to boot. It's a work in progress for us and Monk and as such , until we're up to speed with what he wants and has the squad he's shaped to do it then it's horses for courses in the short term goal of picking up points.

30 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I don't think there's a fan in the ground who wouldn't like to see  4-4-2 with two old fashioned wingers bombing on and a big man little man partnership up top.  

But needs must.

Too wide open against Fulham and we could have got walloped. 

I think Monk likes two up to be honest. But I think he got his tactics absolutley spot on yesterday.  

They're further down the line of what they are doing than we are and they have some top quality players to boot. It's a work in progress for us and Monk and as such , until we're up to speed with what he wants and has the squad he's shaped to do it then it's horses for courses in the short term goal of picking up points.

Probably says more about our fans

47 minutes ago, Justbeanz said:

Be interesting to see if Monk persists with the lone striker next home league game against Wigan. Surely this would be a game to really show some intent.

I think you can show different intent and plans in games even when employing the same formation. 

Our much maligned midfield three, of Hutchinson, Lee and Bannan, is actually a fairly decent midfield in this league. The main problem as I see it is, there is little movement ahead of them. There is no real movement from out to in from the wide players, Fletcher is incapable of running in behind, and not one of the forwards knows how to play between the lines. If none of the front three make those sort of runs, it means there is nobody for the midfield to pick out.  All we seem to do, is funnel it out wide, for the wide players to try and look for Fletcher in the middle. It’s all a bit predictable, and quite frankly, easy to defend against.

Edited by gurujuan

20 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Thought Monk got his shape and systems spot on today. Including his subs.

Great point. 

Agree just thought he should have gone

for it earlier than he did. Was as if he was thinking a 1-0 loss isn’t that bad until there was 15 mins to go, understand that was risky but we’re at home 

20 hours ago, LittleG said:

I know we're not supposed to criticise Lee but I thought the game passed him by. The midfield of BB and Lee is just not strong enough; we need more of a presence in that area.

This is exactly what we were saying until probably the later part of the 2nd half. The midfield couldn’t keep the ball. The difference then imo was Murphy.  They doubled up on Harris but Reach needs 10 yards around him.  He runs hard but he’s not a threat as a forward. When Murphy came on we had a threat on both sides, so the whole game opened for us.  I know he drifts out of the game sometimes but he’s class and we have to try to get him fully fit and focussed. 

To be fair, when you get a side that can keep the ball as good as Fulham do, we are never going to out football them We set up to limit the damage they might be able to do, and we did it fairly well. For all their pace and technical ability, they are a fairly unadventurous bunch, which of course made our job easier Guess he’s not been in the job that long, but Parker is not getting the best out of the resources at his disposal

im hating this 1 up front its just plain boring and never in a million years will we score many this season playing that way. I get the point that good teams would rip us up but if that's so then it shows our weakness in midfield which has been obvious for 3 years . a good manager would have addressed this a long time ago . bannan is a v good player on his day but when it isn't his day he is a passenger im not saying lets drop him but sometimes we need another option in centre midfield against certain opposition . we  have been quite painful to watch at times this season and I can see fletchers frustration . 

1 hour ago, handworth52 said:

im hating this 1 up front its just plain boring and never in a million years will we score many this season playing that way. I get the point that good teams would rip us up but if that's so then it shows our weakness in midfield which has been obvious for 3 years . a good manager would have addressed this a long time ago . bannan is a v good player on his day but when it isn't his day he is a passenger im not saying lets drop him but sometimes we need another option in centre midfield against certain opposition . we  have been quite painful to watch at times this season and I can see fletchers frustration . 

We’ve scored 11 in 8. Equates to a 63 goal season. Better than the 60 we scored in 16/17 playing 442.

Also, in our only 442 this season, at home to QPR, we created fewer chances than any other game so far.

I love 442. But I think right now, in many games, with our current squad, 433 is working well.

• Thanks 1