Link to Crowd Risk Report Commissioned by SYP

I honestly believe the bulk of that report is pure garnish

An excuse to finally make use of those tape measures and stopwatches that have been cluttering up the place

And justify the cost, obviously

The relevant bit, IMO, is the 'Holdback Option' and SYP's refusal to consider it

For this report to concur with that decision is proof of a stitch-up (again IMO)

I mean, you don't need to add numbers, measure concourses and make calculations

Just announce over the Tannoy that visiting fans are to remain in their seats for the 10-15mins it takes to clear the area

Police and/or stewards need only prevent access to the steps for the duration

It's hardly fkn rocket science

OMG was this done by a five year old???

Typical clueless jobsworth with zero common sense

He’d fit in well at SYP or Sheffield council 

I’ll remember these recommendations when I’m at away grounds to see if they’ve been implemented there

We all know they won’t be

16 minutes ago, Terryowl said:

I just don't understand how they get away with in at the stain.

Their ground has no concourse  at the lane end and gates lead  strat onto a main rd at that part of the ground.

Maybe just maybe this is one occasion that we don't set ourselves against united they are been investigated too by the sound of it.  Not suggesting that we join forces but we concentrate on our club. 

SYP are a disgrace when it comes to policing matches!!! They think they are untouchable...they are bunch of thugs with a license to get away with it!!

Coming out of the Leppings Lane side of hillsborough is safer that coming out of the lane!! I honestly can’t believe that someone thinks it’s safer to walk the best part of 15k people all in the same direction and exiting onto penistone road. It’s absolute madness and won’t just affect fans, it will affect cars and all sorts...it’s carnage waiting to happen.  

• Thanks 1

Guest Ferkorf
17 minutes ago, Terryowl said:

I just don't understand how they get away with in at the stain.

Their ground has no concourse  at the lane end and gates lead  strat onto a main rd at that part of the ground.

I remember first time I went without being with my dad, early 2000's  0-0 draw I believe.

I was around 16 maybe 17 so were my two mates and my little bro was 14.

Leaving the ground after from the upper tier and seeing a single row of coppers with hundreds of piggy wannabes on the other side throwing glass bottles.

I covered my younger brother so none of the glass shattered on him.

We got out ok and I checked him over in the bus station. I remember my heart racing as I looked for cuts on him because I was genuinely more scared of getting a beat down off my mum and her slipper of doom than I was from those spotty bbc boys

It doesn’t mention anywhere the health and safety implications of an extra 5000 people exiting onto a very busy dual carriageway. Only policing decision it mentions was the coaches - which created huge problems. An academic with a tape measure who just doesn’t get it 

28 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

I honestly believe the bulk of that report is pure garnish

An excuse to finally make use of those tape measures and stopwatches that have been cluttering up the place

And justify the cost, obviously

The relevant bit, IMO, is the 'Holdback Option' and SYP's refusal to consider it

For this report to concur with that decision is proof of a stitch-up (again IMO)

I mean, you don't need to add numbers, measure concourses and make calculations

Just announce over the Tannoy that visiting fans are to remain in their seats for the 10-15mins it takes to clear the area

Police and/or stewards need only prevent access to the steps for the duration

It's hardly fkn rocket science

we were kept back at bramall lane for 10-15 mins after  the game if south Yorkshire police weren't so incompetent they would have done the same with the pigs yes not rocket science , also before game on bramall lane there was loads of scuffles ,bangers and fireworks thrown  at us ,there has also been numerous incidents on bramall lane this past 2 seasons with trouble (mainly to do with pigs) whats done about it? nothing ,why? well might be to do with what colours the sag people wear under there shirts. there was also a serious build up of our supporters due to only 2-3 turnstiles open . if today is so dangerous will the cops be employing riot police ,dogs and horses on leppings lane before the game like leeds and pigs? its totally bloody bonkers they just aint got a clue. 

There is no way that an assessment on crowd management for such a nuanced issue can be determined from an anomalous fixture alone and not based over a series of examples/averages. Unless there is a pre-determined result that people are wanting to identify.

• Like 2

Just now, sammo said:

There is no way that an assessment on crowd management for such a nuanced issue can be determined from an anomalous fixture alone and not based over a series of examples/averages. Unless there is a pre-determined result that people are wanting to identify.

I think you have hit the nail bang on the head there.

On reading that it seems that the main issues at the United game were double stacking the coaches on Leppings Lane and the “narrow” exit area of just 6m for United fans coming on to Leppings Lane.

so, don’t double stack the coaches and take out the pointless temporary barrier outside......problem solved

There seems to be no mention or taking in to account the fact that many people exiting the North and West stands head down the back of the South and not on to Leppings Lane 

A pragmatic approach to Crowd Management is based on the assessment of behaviour and trends over time in a unique environment - football matches at Hillsborough have been happening for a century. The statistics applied within this report aren’t based on crowd behaviours at football games - they’re generic figures applied to shopping centres, city centres etc. 

There’s no contextual rationale applied based on real world examples, other than a one off game. It would be interesting to see how many times the team that produced the report have actually developed something like this for football clubs/police forces around the country and how this was applied in real world terms. 

Imagine they tried it at West Ham v Millwall at the Den? Or Leeds? Or United at home?

5 minutes ago, Ian said:

On reading that it seems that the main issues at the United game were double stacking the coaches on Leppings Lane and the “narrow” exit area of just 6m for United fans coming on to Leppings Lane.

so, don’t double stack the coaches and take out the pointless temporary barrier outside......problem solved

There seems to be no mention or taking in to account the fact that many people exiting the North and West stands head down the back of the South and not on to Leppings Lane 

There are a vast number of solutions to manage the egress of the crowd that doesn’t involve just closing an exit and piling 10,000 people towards one exit only.

Humans are creatures of habit and people have been doing this at games for decades - all this is going to serve to do is create tension, confusion and ultimately more challenges

1 minute ago, latemodelchild said:

I read the report via this thread as it made the report easy to find. Keep this thread open cos it's useful. The more fans that read the report the better. 

Agree. One thread  on club statement, this one on academic report 

Edited by owltilidie

18 minutes ago, owltilidie said:

Agree. One thread  on club statement, this one on academic report 

Read the report. My comments posted last night on “Club Statement”, several hours before this thread was started. 

Edited by Andrew Robinson