Link to Crowd Risk Report Commissioned by SYP

This is what happens when you focus on a single issue without looking at the big picture. This sort of thinking led to the disaster at the stadium. Why hasn’t the pollock who wrote this taken his tape measure and fancy calculations to work out if you can actually get that many people out of the ground safely along the routes he has determined? If there is insufficient room for a holdback of away fans why not reduce the numbers to a safe capacity. 

Dont think I’ve ever read such an educated piece of crap in my life. How can SYP change policy on home fans at the last minute based on the recommendation of a bloke whose looked at some video and visited the ground ONCE. Absolutely unbelievable. I can see this document resurfacing in a court room near you in the not too distant future when people get hurt as a result of this

There is useful stuff in there such as information about how rapidly crowds can disperse given the width of passageways they have to use. Then the author proceeds to misuse that information by ignoring stuff like the fact that a huge artificial wall is the biggest factor in narrowing the egress route. 

That wall does not help crowd control at all it just provides a point at which two opposing groups come together facing each other in the knowledge that we are here and the other lot are in front and headed our way. Like a tailor made crowd hostility system

Remove the barriers and people from both sides merge immediately and can only tell if the person next to them is opposition if they are showing colours

1 hour ago, owltilidie said:

It doesn’t mention anywhere the health and safety implications of an extra 5000 people exiting onto a very busy dual carriageway. Only policing decision it mentions was the coaches - which created huge problems. An academic with a tape measure who just doesn’t get it 

Just to add double weight to his flawed argument the "expert" has highlighted two sets of coaches, when, in fact, it is the same set from a different angle.

That's dramatic reporting for you, if you like.

So the report identifies a major contributing factor to the lack of egress being the narrowing of Leppings Lane, largely due to double stacked coaches. This narrowed the available egress space from 17m to 8 meters.  "Using Point C, 8 metre width line, the available flow rate is now around 656 ppm" As we all know Leppings Lane is temporarily closed by SYP which allows for these generous flow rates.

So now we will be exiting almost half the ground onto the pavement on a busy dual carriageway. The pavement is 3m at its widest point and almost half that in other areas (at the side of the superstore). If we apply the same flow rate calculations to the 3m pavement we will have a flow rate of 246 ppm, this means it will take 61 minutes for everyone to exit the ground safely from the Kop and North stands.

SYP need to temporarily shut Penistone Rd so we can use the whole carriageway for egress or they have just made the safety of supporters exiting the stadium from the Kop and North stand a whole lot worse.

2 hours ago, dumboldowl said:

If that report had been presented to his university by a philosophy student he would never have received his doctorate.

25 minutes ago, MartinOwlMan said:

There is useful stuff in there such as information about how rapidly crowds can disperse given the width of passageways they have to use. Then the author proceeds to misuse that information by ignoring stuff like the fact that a huge artificial wall is the biggest factor in narrowing the egress route. 

That wall does not help crowd control at all it just provides a point at which two opposing groups come together facing each other in the knowledge that we are here and the other lot are in front and headed our way. Like a tailor made crowd hostility system

Remove the barriers and people from both sides merge immediately and can only tell if the person next to them is opposition if they are showing colours

If they had submitted that report they would not have got a mark on any course work at university, undergraduate or postgraduate. I am not sure that this would be acceptable at GCSE. No references for assertions like the table, how quickly crowds disperse, no abstract. No scientific evidence for anything at all. Even worse there is no information about the author so you cannot check if they have any bias. All that report is useful for is paper for starting a fire. If anyone showed me a report like that to show their medicine worked I am not sure I could stop laughing. It is as valid as a drunk person writing that stadium can hold 20 million people on a piece of paper.

For those of you have a doubt about author bias we only have to look at the fraudster who claimed there was a link between MMR and autism. The only reason he came up with this was because he was working for a company wanting to license individual vaccines and they had to come up with a major problem for the current vaccination see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Wakefield.  The fact that SYP and SAG can take this into account is laughable. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sheffwed94 said:

Anybody fancy taking one for the team today?

come out of the north only to be clipped by a car on penistone ?

Tell you what you would make an absolute fortune given the decision was made on this piece of poo. Would love to know how much SYP paid for this. Think a freedom of information request is going in. 

The parking of the coaches on the near side caused problems . They actually blocked the exit .

Was there actually much aggro? If so I missed it and I went out that way .

Anyone from SYP  thought to question  the wisdom  of changing a derby game to a monday night for the sake of T V ? - no of course not .

Dont get tied up with fairness and the sty - that's their problem . We need to focus on how we as a club can address this in dignified and proper manner .

15 minutes ago, southportdc said:

Thought the analysis on Leppings Lane was fair enough myself, but it fails to consider the implications of halving exits from the North. 

Absolutely agree ! You may solve a problem that happens once or twice a season which could be sorted by holding back away fans for 10 or 15 minutes after the game. You then shove an extra 4/5000 fans out onto a busy duel carriageway every game. This entrance is also used by wheelchair users accessing disabled section. Probably neglected to take that into consideration.

1 hour ago, Hirstys Salopettes said:

Whatever SYP paid for the document, I think they’ve been robbed (but will no doubt be incapable of catching the culprit).

Could find out the cost under freedom of information.