Scottish Football Returns.

8 hours ago, NorfolkNChance said:

Looked a decent shout for a pen in your game second half Belfast? 

Germany stepped it up big time second half and looked great first 10 mins in which they scored 

It looked like one to me at the time but havent seen it again. Seemed a clear trip but unless he went down too easy and ref wasnt having it

On 04/09/2019 at 13:06, Groundhopping Owl said:

As starting XIs go that's a pretty solid one, pretty obvious that Levein is badly underachieving now. Being as close as he is to the owner, is there actually any chance of him moving on though? Not sure there's an obvious replacement out there either, unless they look south of the border.

When Romanov was owner Neil Warnock applied for the Hearts job and he was turned down by the club. Those rumours seem to be re-surfacing again and he has talked it up in the press again. Surely he’s too old for a project like that?

There are two separate articles about Warnock and Hearts today in the local press and they are about differing subjects. One article is his desire to manage in Scotland “Hearts or Hibs” and one on the transfer business we’ve done recently (Callum Paterson/Loic Damour).

lol Coincidence?

12 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Scotland are an embarrassment, Northern Ireland would paste them. 

I have no doubt Northern Ireland would beat us, our current setup on and off the park are a joke, but they probably shouldn’t beat us. Man for man their squad isn’t as good as ours, we have more players playing at a higher level than they do, but football isn’t played on paper and the way they set up their team and in the way that their players buy-in to playing for their country they are absolutely streets ahead of us.

Like Northern Ireland we don’t have a great squad but their players have a pride for playing for their country that ours don’t. Northern Ireland deserve huge credit for the way they’ve played and competed over the last decade, our players/staff/setup comparatively are a national embarrassment. Barely 30,000 to watch IMO the best footballing nation in Europe says it all.

I’m now convinced that our authorities don’t really care about progressing the national team and never have done. Scotland are, and always have been secondary in their interests. They still say silent and do nothing about the behaviour of the Glasgow two when UEFA have called them out and punished them in Europe, they decided to keep football in Glasgow when Hampden is a shithole and completely unfit for purpose and a worse stadium to the alternative. That was a huge missed opportunity. They also have no interest in league reconstruction which most fans and clubs are calling for (other than perhaps introducing a Rangers and Celtic Colts team to the league), and alongside the Glasgow media they continue to perpetuate the myth that the only thing that matters and that is worth taking about in Scottish football is those teams and the 4x Celtic v Rangers games every season.

Whilst-ever we have these people in charge and that situation nothing will change and Scotland will continue to be pish. Northern Ireland and other similar small European nations (Sweden/Denmark/Norway etc) don’t have that problem with clubs in their domestic setup.

Round and round and round we go.

Edited by edinburghowl

2 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

I have no doubt Northern Ireland would beat us, our current setup on and off the park are a joke, but they probably shouldn’t beat us. Man for man their squad isn’t as good as ours, we have more players playing at a higher level than they do, but football isn’t played on paper and the way they set up their team and in the way that their players buy-in to playing for their country they are absolutely streets ahead of us.

Like Northern Ireland we don’t have a great squad but their players have a pride for playing for their country that ours don’t. Northern Ireland deserve huge credit for the way they’ve played and competed over the last decade, our players/staff/setup comparatively are a national embarrassment. Barely 30,000 to watch IMO the best footballing nation in Europe says it all.

I’m now convinced that our authorities don’t really care about progressing the national team and never have done. Scotland are, and always have been secondary in their interests. They still say silent and do nothing about the behaviour of the Glasgow two when UEFA have called them out and punished them in Europe, they decided to keep football in Glasgow when Hampden is a shithole and completely unfit for purpose and a worse stadium to the alternative. That was a huge missed opportunity. They also have no interest in league reconstruction which most fans and clubs are calling for (other than perhaps introducing a Rangers and Celtic Colts team to the league), and alongside the Glasgow media they continue to perpetuate the myth that the only thing that matters and that is worth taking about in Scottish football is those teams and the 4x Celtic v Rangers games every season.

Whilst-ever we have these people in charge and that situation nothing will change and Scotland will continue to be pish. Northern Ireland and other similar small European nations (Sweden/Denmark/Norway etc) don’t have that problem with clubs in their domestic setup.

Round and round and round we go.

Agree 100%, the reason Northern Ireland are a better team is purely down to how they have been coached, motivated and set up. O'Neill has done a great job with them, just a shame they've been put in a group with 2 of Europe's best teams or they'd have probably got a top 2 spot. Clarke has his work cut out, on paper there is a squad there that should be capable of pushing Russia far closer than it has, frankly to be below Kazakhstan and Cyprus is criminal. Luckily the play offs give Scotland a second chance but who they'll face in those games will surely be of a higher quality than the likes of Cyprus and Kazakhstan.

8 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

It looked like one to me at the time but havent seen it again. Seemed a clear trip but unless he went down too easy and ref wasnt having it

To me it looked like he went down too easily, knew himself that although there might have been the slightest contact it wasn't a foul and he got up and got on with it before the ref could consider whether to give him a booking for a dive - he was already on a yellow card.

I didn't watch it all but was very impressed with NI. They could easily have been in front at half-time and although Germany had a strong start to the 2nd half they hung in the game and only got killed off in injury time. Some of the slick passing down the right when they were 1-0 down was good to watch. 

Complete contrast with Scotland who almost looked beat before they got started and conceded sloppy 1st half goals which gave them no chance. 

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

To me it looked like he went down too easily, knew himself that although there might have been the slightest contact it wasn't a foul and he got up and got on with it before the ref could consider whether to give him a booking for a dive - he was already on a yellow card.

I didn't watch it all but was very impressed with NI. They could easily have been in front at half-time and although Germany had a strong start to the 2nd half they hung in the game and only got killed off in injury time. Some of the slick passing down the right when they were 1-0 down was good to watch. 

Complete contrast with Scotland who almost looked beat before they got started and conceded sloppy 1st half goals which gave them no chance. 

Ah fair enough. So it looks like me calling the ref a cheating poopydoo wasn't quite correct.....

And the progression under O'Neill is amazing especially after some poor results in his first campaign.

He has figured out his system and won't put square pegs in round holes. He has kept faith in players like Maginnis despite them getting stick. 

He demands commitment from every player and we don't have any wasters on the team no matter of past reputation.

It was unbelievable getting to Euros and we were quite direct then.  Not a million miles from current style but still less advanced.

He has also had us bounce back from heartbreak of WC play off defeat. He rallied the squad as they realised they played with too much fear in those  games. A harsh lesson learnt.

Last night we showed no fear and got in the Germans faces. 

The football we play now is great to watch and we look to open teams up. The inclusion of Jamal Lewis and Saville at right back works a treat. We create chances now and its a shame we take too few.

And our group is ridiculous and auto qualifcation was never happening.

9 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

That's probably true, the SFA being more interested in the money the two Glasgow clubs bring in than anything else. The other thing that's probably a bigger problem for the success of the national team is you've got a lot of shit players (and one good one). 

I am interested to see who you think our good player is?

Our good player (and in-form player) was sat on the bench for the Belgium game. He may be ex-Hibs but McGinn is the best footballer we’ve got. 

I’m guessing you meant Robertson the captain and I’d disagree. He seems to be another that is destined to play well for big clubs in big games but largely be poo when it matters when he pulls on the dark blue. I’d drop him for the next game if I was in charge. Tierney is a capable replacement and given Robertson’s performances in the last two games he doesn’t deserve a place in the starting XI. 

8 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Agree 100%, the reason Northern Ireland are a better team is purely down to how they have been coached, motivated and set up. O'Neill has done a great job with them, just a shame they've been put in a group with 2 of Europe's best teams or they'd have probably got a top 2 spot. Clarke has his work cut out, on paper there is a squad there that should be capable of pushing Russia far closer than it has, frankly to be below Kazakhstan and Cyprus is criminal. Luckily the play offs give Scotland a second chance but who they'll face in those games will surely be of a higher quality than the likes of Cyprus and Kazakhstan.

This campaign is already another write off. The playoff is a fallback but likewise I really don’t see who we will beat to qualify. Hopefully we will have found some form by then 

21 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

I am interested to see who you think our good player is?

Our good player (and in-form player) was sat on the bench for the Belgium game. He may be ex-Hibs but McGinn is the best footballer we’ve got. 

I’m guessing you meant Robertson the captain and I’d disagree. He seems to be another that is destined to play well for big clubs in big games but largely be poo when it matters when he pulls on the dark blue. I’d drop him for the next game if I was in charge. Tierney is a capable replacement and given Robertson’s performances in the last two games he doesn’t deserve a place in the starting XI. 

This campaign is already another write off. The playoff is a fallback but likewise I really don’t see who we will beat to qualify. Hopefully we will have found some form by then 

How did McGinn end up on the bench yesterday?

Not seen enough of the games to comment on Robertson's performances but can't see him being dropped.

54 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

How did McGinn end up on the bench yesterday?

Not seen enough of the games to comment on Robertson's performances but can't see him being dropped.

I agree, Robertson won’t be dropped because he’s the captain but he should be. Both full backs chucked the game against Russia gifting the opposition goals. 

I’m not sure on McGinn mate. I’m presuming he was rested and the plan was to give other players a game in the squad?

On 17/09/2019 at 00:00, hirstyboywonder said:

It's not getting any better for Hearts is it! :image:

We are an absolute shambles on the pitch at the moment. For the calendar year we have the lowest points total gained of all teams in the league. This isn’t just about the start to this season this is now a long running problem.

Lose at Hibs at the weekend and it will be officially our worst sequence of league results ever in our 145 year history. That is how bad it is. 

The players look completely bereft of confidence and Tynecastle is poisonous. We are in big trouble if something doesn’t change soon. To top it off we have a huge injury list and have had at least one player go off injured in every game this season. 

On 17/09/2019 at 09:08, owls maniac said:

Protests outside the ground last week. CL surely on borrowed time now?

Our Chairwoman unbelievably has backed him in the press last night. I spoke to someone who was in hospitality at the weekend and they reckon he has 2 games. 

CL is first team coach, board member, and DOF and has too much power at the club. Fans are now boycotting games, pausing their donations to the Foundation, and the game at ER on Sunday has gone to general sale. Normally you need crazy loyalty points for an away fixture like that.

2 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

We are an absolute shambles on the pitch at the moment. For the calendar year we have the lowest points total gained of all teams in the league. This isn’t just about the start to this season this is now a long running problem.

Lose at Hibs at the weekend and it will be officially our worst sequence of league results ever in our 145 year history. That is how bad it is. 

The players look completely bereft of confidence and Tynecastle is poisonous. We are in big trouble if something doesn’t change soon. To top it off we have a huge injury list and have had at least one player go off injured in every game this season. 

Our Chairwoman unbelievably has backed him in the press last night. I spoke to someone who was in hospitality at the weekend and they reckon he has 2 games. 

CL is first team coach, board member, and DOF and has too much power at the club. Fans are now boycotting games, pausing their donations to the Foundation, and the game at ER on Sunday has gone to general sale. Normally you need crazy loyalty points for an away fixture like that.

It’s a sad state of affairs atm mate. Watching the highlights and the players look scared on the pitch and with the fans on their backs it’s not looking good at all. You know your fked when the home fans “boo” the team on to the pitch at the start of the game.

7 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

That's got to be incredibly frustrating as a fan. I'm sure CL has the best interests of the club at Heart but as a stubborn bloke he is likely to continue to back himself to get you out of this mess so the voice of the supporters is falling on deaf ears.

Got to be time for a change now, as you say it's not just this season, the poor form has been going on for months, stuck in a rut rather than a temporary dip it seems.