Signs are Good.

1 minute ago, GMOwl72 said:

Saturday will be a good measure. Away at a ground that we don’t have a great record at but against a team that struggled last season and are not fancied this one either.

Win, lose or draw I guess it won’t define the season overall but we can certainly look to put down a marker and build confidence.

They were pretty impressive yesterday, as an attacking force anyway

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

They were pretty impressive yesterday, as an attacking force anyway

Yes they seem to have had a mixed pre season (not that it counts for much) and attack wise this will be the concern on Saturday.

No doubt they will come out all guns blazing so it’s how we deal with that in the first 15-20 mins or so. We need to match them and then insert influence on the game rather than ship an early goal through silly errors or lack of concentration.

Just hope we don’t lose the game in the first 15 minutes.

Signs are good in as much as we haven’t been out run in terms of fitness at the end of pre season.

Lets be realistic though they are only signs and the real tests start next week.

Unless the management situation is sorted quickly I fear our squad won’t change much.

We know our midfield has fitness issues that are yet to be tested.

Ten or twelve games into the season is where we will know if we look truly competitive.

14 hours ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Preseason has been good , some pace added and goals scored. Despite the doom and gloom merchants worst fears it looks like for once we can hit the ground running. Mrs Browns gone so chins up and lets get behind this great club and give it the support it deserves. The time to make an impact straight away is there for this team and the early signs are good.

Having watched 2 games in pre season, I would say we look fitter and sharper than I can remember for a while. It's by no means a confident assertion that we're going to be world beaters but I'm fairly hopeful that the current players are going to do OK. 

My worry is, that aside from CC's first season I don't think any manager (maybe Bruce started to) has found a system that really suits this set of players and utilises all of them to their best!

I still think we're quite unbalanced, especially if playing 1 up front! Maybe Bullen, having worked with this squad for a long time will be best placed to sort a good system and utilise them all (how do you keep 6 strikers happy?). 

Do we think Bullen can do it? Does he want to? What impact does it have on the players not having a permanent manager? Do clubs generally do well with long term caretakers?  

I also worry about our CM. All fit I'd be pretty pleased with Lee, Bannan and Hutch but we're still going to get bullied against the stronger midfields (remember Hull at Wembley) and who really believes this 3 will play regularly together without injury!? Who's back up?...... Pelupessy! Not quite good enough. 

In summary I think we look decent but need to add some strength to CM and also a backup winger and we're really short at LB. CB does concern me too, Van Aken has proven nothing and Borner looks OK (but not seen him in Championship).  I'd love a decision on the manager sooner than later to add some stability to the club. 

How we'll do this season is an absolute unknown, anywhere from 8th - 14th possible (bottom half would be underachieving IMO) and with a bit of luck and 3/4 more astute, well thought out signings, I believe we could push for top 6. Not sure why DC isn't in an apparent hurry to sort that push!

UTO

The ones we brought in replace the Newcastle lads and Lee back are the difference.

I think we lacked last year and those problems will still be there.

I think we need a left sided player and a centre mid still.

We could make the play offs with what we have but it will be harder if we don't bring a manager in soon.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Chow said:

Tbh I thought we were lacking pace in the first half, trying to wok whether joao is disinterested or he’s just not suited out wide.

Looks lost outside may have to play through middle. Could be though your right with disinterested that would be a worry.

2 hours ago, briggowl said:

Having watched 2 games in pre season, I would say we look fitter and sharper than I can remember for a while. It's by no means a confident assertion that we're going to be world beaters but I'm fairly hopeful that the current players are going to do OK. 

My worry is, that aside from CC's first season I don't think any manager (maybe Bruce started to) has found a system that really suits this set of players and utilises all of them to their best!

I still think we're quite unbalanced, especially if playing 1 up front! Maybe Bullen, having worked with this squad for a long time will be best placed to sort a good system and utilise them all (how do you keep 6 strikers happy?). 

Do we think Bullen can do it? Does he want to? What impact does it have on the players not having a permanent manager? Do clubs generally do well with long term caretakers?  

I also worry about our CM. All fit I'd be pretty pleased with Lee, Bannan and Hutch but we're still going to get bullied against the stronger midfields (remember Hull at Wembley) and who really believes this 3 will play regularly together without injury!? Who's back up?...... Pelupessy! Not quite good enough. 

In summary I think we look decent but need to add some strength to CM and also a backup winger and we're really short at LB. CB does concern me too, Van Aken has proven nothing and Borner looks OK (but not seen him in Championship).  I'd love a decision on the manager sooner than later to add some stability to the club. 

How we'll do this season is an absolute unknown, anywhere from 8th - 14th possible (bottom half would be underachieving IMO) and with a bit of luck and 3/4 more astute, well thought out signings, I believe we could push for top 6. Not sure why DC isn't in an apparent hurry to sort that push!

UTO

So we're OK in goal & right back  - Hallelujah !!