Signs are Good.

1 minute ago, WelshOwl74 said:

I'm not basing off the pre season ,I'm saying from I've seen from the vast majority of our players from the last 4 seasons and in my opinion we aren't good enough ,with  good manager (not bullen) and a bit of tweeking we'd be not far off but as it stands we aren't going anywhere 

That's fair enough. 

Clearly, the next manager is going to make the difference...

Guest domSWFC

You can see some of the players didn't just take the summer off. Palmer looks much stronger physically this year, and Lee, as you can expect must have been working hard to get back to where he was at before. 

Harris is a unit, not seen pace and power like that since Antonio. 

Borner could be a real steal. Not had much success with too many foreign pickings over the years that haven't already played in the championship previously. Hopefully Borner can really get us all stood up proudly, maybe even get a statue erected. 

Hutchinson is a handsome man. Put him on the bench, and let him go chat to the oppositions wives during games and we'll win the league. 

Give the job to Rowet. Hughton clearly doesn't seem excited by the opportunity. Rather have someone raring to go with a point to prove. 

Edited by domSWFC

45 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

I'm not getting excited over warm up games against 2 average English teams,2 crap German teams and a Spanish reserve team 

Reading will be a much bigger test

We've been OK in pre season but fans who think we will be challenging playoffs will be very disappointed as it stands 

Preseason is about fitness and regaining sharpness. It's not about results or the way we play. So who we beat, lost to or drew against is no barometer for how we will fair during the season. To write a squad like ours off, for a play-off challenge, before a ball is even kicked is a little bit negative. Maybe it's your defence mechanism to prevent you getting carried away. If so, yep, I get ya.

I'm not saying we will make the play-offs, but right here, right now, I would be disappoiinted if we did make a challenge. I appreciate there are always a couple of teams who turn everything on its head, but look at the likely candidates for promotion and tell me where they are ultimately better, to a point where they could prevent us from challenging.

Cardiff, Derby, Fulham, Leeds, Middlesbrough and maybe West Brom will push. Stoke, Udders, Swansea and us will compete for the top 10 spots. None of these teams are light years ahead of any other of the ones I have mentioned. I am certain these teams will gain and lose points against each other, and therefore it becomes anyones game. Ultimately, the team that holds their nerve this season will be crowned Champions, not the team with the best fire power necessarily. We understand about "Game Management", but now it's about "Season Management". Grab a point here and there, and ultimately that could be the difference.

To write us off now, is, in my opinion, a little quick on the draw.

Edited by ChapSmurf

If Wednesday can get the right man in charge, there's no reason why a playoff push won't be on the cards

No real standout teams this year (and it's hard to see where the surprise package is coming from, unless Brentford's new signings gel and they can keep it together for a whole season).  "Big" clubs at this level like Derby and Boro have had a quiet summer in terms of transfer activity.

This season is a big opportunity - if we can get the right man in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SquirrelSlingshot said:

If Wednesday can get the right man in charge, there's no reason why a playoff push won't be on the cards

No real standout teams this year (and it's hard to see where the surprise package is coming from, unless Brentford's new signings gel and they can keep it together for a whole season).  "Big" clubs at this level like Derby and Boro have had a quiet summer in terms of transfer activity.

This season is a big opportunity - if we can get the right man in.

Give the squad and fans an inspirational manager and it would be very interesting. 

Sadly it looks like the appointment will be a bit meh and less yeah 

I’ve absolutely no idea how we’ll do next season. Having supported the Wednesday since the mid 50’s I can honestly say pre season games don’t seem to have any bearing on how we’ll do when it really matters in fact in my experience they seem to be a mirror opposite of the early season results despite what the experts tell us. What I do know though is however we do I’ll still be an Owl this time next year.....well God willing. :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Give the squad and fans an inspirational manager and it would be very interesting. 

Sadly it looks like the appointment will be a bit meh and less yeah 

Who would you class as an inspirational Manager out of interest. 

There doesn't seem to be many of those about. 

11 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I still think we're desperate for a midfield beast/destroyer type

I wouldn't say no to another centre back and left back too

Yes add a powerful DM and a natural left back and we have a strong starting eleven. Fingers crossed for a good manager too 

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

True...

Still - I think Harris adds something we have been sorely missing for years. 

The levels of fitness do appear to be up and we seem far more willing to press the opposition. This was something we started doing during fathead's time in charge. 

You say about fitness, but some of them were absolutely blowing mid way through first half

Just now, Owls-Fan said:

Yes add a powerful DM and a natural left back and we have a strong starting eleven. Fingers crossed for a good manager too 

I think once Iorfa completes his suspension, he will be right back and Odubajo will play left back, with Lees and Borner that has the making of a pretty good back four

Add a deep sitting beast

Reach, Bannan, Lee and Harris in the middle

Give Reach and Harris licence to push forward, let Iorfa and Odubajo push into midfield when we have the ball

Bannan the playmaker, and Lee the box to box

Fletcher up top

Rhodes or Forestieri to come on if we're chasing the game

Jobs a gud un

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

By dismissing our chances (based off pre-season?) aren't you doing the exact same thing as those fans who think we could challenge? 

Not saying we will challenge, but it is far too early to predict what anyone is going to do, particularly in a division as unpredictable as the Championship. 

United preseason results has got the blades fans thinking they are going for the champion s league places

1 hour ago, Growl67 said:

I’ve absolutely no idea how we’ll do next season. Having supported the Wednesday since the mid 50’s I can honestly say pre season games don’t seem to have any bearing on how we’ll do when it really matters in fact in my experience they seem to be a mirror opposite of the early season results despite what the experts tell us. What I do know though is however we do I’ll still be an Owl this time next year.....well God willing. :rolleyes:

What a great post.  See you next season, in whatever Tier Wednesday is playing in...might be 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, but I'll be there too, it can't be any worse than the 1970's.  Thanks again.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hirstys_12th_Pint said:

Who would you class as an inspirational Manager out of interest. 

There doesn't seem to be many of those about. 

Fair comment and to be honest I don’t know, as I’ve not been in many dressing rooms. I just mean I hope we appoint someone who motivates the players to play to their best. Like Lampard did at Derby and Wilder at the pigs and Bielsa at Leeds etc.  It could be Rowett for all I know about his managerial abilities.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Owls-Fan said:

Fair comment and to be honest I don’t know, as I’ve not been in many dressing rooms. I just mean I hope we appoint someone who motivates the players to play to their best. Like Lampard did at Derby and Wilder at the pigs and Bielsa at Leeds etc.  It could be Rowett for all I know about his managerial abilities.  

Bring in Holloway his major talent is motivation and bringing the feel good factor. The club is in need of a manager who really wants to be here and can get the fanbase onboard.Last thing we need is another no personality foreign mercenary with little or no knowledge of the club or the league.

Edited by ZicoSterland2

11 hours ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Pre season means nothing

Let's see how we are doing after 15 games before getting carried away

I don't think he's getting carried away mate he's just simply stating that pre season has been good and there's no need to fear the worst.

11 hours ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Pre season means nothing

Let's see how we are doing after 15 games before getting carried away

Going up, going up, going uuuuuuppp, going up, going up, going uuuuuuppppp.